Axe-Fx III Factory Presets 16.04

Thanks. I was using the black strat. I'll try it out with a McCarty.View attachment 85667
Keep in mind though, it's not that one different guitar is going to fix the levels in all presets or scenes. Scenes get leveled with different guitars, often more than one if they're factory or commercial, and there's no such thing as an absolutely right level.

I think the big takeaway is not to be be shy about about adjusting levels (or anything else) to work with the guitars and musical contexts you care about. Make backups, then make em your own.

Hi guys,

Yes I have upgraded them to Cygnus 16.x. I think they sound great again but I have used custom IR's (bought commercially) rather than the factory ones largely because there are so few British Vox Celestion Blue cabs with Neumann U47 mics are various distances. I guess it's because I attempt to achieve tones close to the original Shadows recordings. The span of years, engineers, studios etc. meant subtle mic placements can change a good sound into a great one. My experimentation bears that out.
While Hank B. Marvin expressed dislike for reverb preferring echo and delay, it was used by the engineers with or without his knowledge to create the master.
So what I can do is export my presets with my cabs in place and then you can select your own cabs to create the best sound you can. Please reply in this thread.
Hi Trevor ,
hope you ll make us the pleasure to share your work , presets once more .....
if you tell us the Ir you ve used , maybe we ll be able to purchase them !!!! useful invest ....
Thanks
fafa

“Keep in mind though, it's not that one different guitar is going to fix the levels in all presets or scenes. Scenes get leveled with different guitars, often more than one if they're factory or commercial, and there's no such thing as an absolutely right level. again.”

Thanks again, Dave.

Once I have them where I want them, each preset behaves how I would expect for each guitar. So the result isn’t actually caused by my guitar to guitar variation.

The variance is something I always expect with Axe-Change. I was only asking, why I find this variation between Factory presets. They all sound great, by the way. There are just some that are inherently quieter than others (as observed here over at my place), with other variables held constant.

Quick question -- I seem to remember a preset called Aliens Surfing or something similar. Has it been removed/renamed?

“Keep in mind though, it's not that one different guitar is going to fix the levels in all presets or scenes. Scenes get leveled with different guitars, often more than one if they're factory or commercial, and there's no such thing as an absolutely right level. again.”

Thanks again, Dave.

Once I have them where I want them, each preset behaves how I would expect for each guitar. So the result isn’t actually caused by my guitar to guitar variation.

The variance is something I always expect with Axe-Change. I was only asking, why I find this variation between Factory presets. They all sound great, by the way. There are just some that are inherently quieter than others (as observed here over at my place), with other variables held constant.
I second this. The guitar explanation doesn’t address what I’ve noticed in level differences between some of the presets.

Why are some presets louder than others at the base scene? For an example (and his may not be completely valid, but you'll know what I mean), the Hipower and the AC-20 Deluxe.

Looking for the correct answer and insight.
This gear is perfect, so I know the reason will be perfect as well.
It's impossible to level things that precisely for all guitars and all situations. It is, as they say, good enough. If, for your gear, you're unhappy with the levels, it's not hard to make any adjustments you like.

The output level depends greatly on the input signal. And the input signal is already flawed because it's coming from a human. Add guitar variances and it's all just as good as it gets.

The more dynamic range in your playing and the output signal you and your gear produce, the harder it gets to level from preset to preset.

I second this. The guitar explanation doesn’t address what I’ve noticed in level differences between some of the presets.
It's the guitar and the signal being output from the guitar -- so it's the guitar and the person playing the guitar. That completely addresses the level differences from preset to preset.

Yeah, their early to mid-period stuff is great. Later on they lost a lot of their appeal for me, not sure exactly why. Songs not as good I think, and not as much of the rich and unique keyboard textures I dug.

It's impossible to level things that precisely for all guitars and all situations. It is, as they say, good enough. If, for your gear, you're unhappy with the levels, it's not hard to make any adjustments you like.

The output level depends greatly on the input signal. And the input signal is already flawed because it's coming from a human. Add guitar variances and it's all just as good as it gets.

The more dynamic range in your playing and the output signal you and your gear produce, the harder it gets to level from preset to preset.

This is a reply to the OP as well as your post Ian, but I couldn't figure out the multi-quote.

Luckily the fix for this issue is super easy and built right into the box.

1. Select the louder (or quieter) scene
2. Select the output block
3. Select scene levels tab
4. Adjust appropriate scene volume
5. Make rock faces

There you have it. Scenes balanced specifically for you and your guitar. Estimated time and effort : Less than one Tootsie Pop for 25 presets. (Unless you are a powerful biter.)

Oh yeah, the output block has 4 channels, so you can set this up for 4 different guitars too.

Why does it take a man to confess this? The Fixx are amazing and that song is pinnacle 80s pop-rock. Reach The Beach is a great Saturday morning album to wake the house up to.
Of course, I'm just being silly and hoping to get a chuckle out of anyone that might get one.

But it also brings up the fact that as we age, some things become even cooler and we appreciate them even more than we did in the past. I always dug "One Thing Leads To Another" by The Fixx. I hadn't heard it in years, but man, I sure appreciate the positive things about that tune/riff/sound/creativity now that I'm older.

The new presets also inspired me to sit down and learn THE RIGHT way to play Limelight!

:D

Yes, for sure. I was only commenting. The specific example I used in my OP here, was my perceived relative difference between the AC20-Deluxe and the HiPower presets. Easy to adjust for preference.

Back
Top Bottom