Axe-Fx III Factory Presets 16.04

Cliff wrote here that the factory presets are being worked on. I noticed that preset #110 Glass Leads has an issue with the cabs. Scenes 5-7, the descriptions say V30, but the cab block still points to Channel A with the Basketweave (Greenbacks). Can anyone else confirm that? Easily fixed on the user side by changing the cab channel and re-saving, but thought they should know.

Edit: Adding @Admin M@

Preset Nr 16 Euro sounds bad
Hi Arni61, I checked out Preset 16 Euro. I cannot comment on if it sounds "bad" because of all the variables involved with how we process tone. That being said, it is a functional preset, ie. it contains no bugs. While initially it wasn't complimentary for my rig and what I generally like, I took it on as a fun challenge to get it there. I spent about five minutes going through the Scenes, only using the existing blocks and tweaking them until I got something that was in my comfort zone. It was a nice exercise. I generally do not use the Factory Presets, but your posts about them got me interested.
What I ended up doing, was taking the Euro Red Modern amp block from Preset 16, and trying it out on my template that I use to experiment with. I found that an amp block that I normally wouldn't gravitate towards, with settings I wouldn't use, sounded good in the template that is my comfort zone, with minimal tweaking.
So, if the Preset sounds "bad," that's alright. It was fun to take that "bad" preset and turn it into something cool. I suppose I am saying that, I hear your criticisms and concerns and while we have different views, your comments inspired a fun five minute tweak session that I hope will bring about a new riff or song at some point and it gave me another color with which to express that.

Last edited:
Hi Arni61, I checked out Preset 16 Euro. I cannot comment on if it sounds "bad" because of all the variables involved with how we process tone. That being said, it is a functional preset, ie. it contains no bugs. While initially it wasn't complimentary for my rig and what I generally like, I took it on as a fun challenge to get it there. I spent about five minutes going through the Scenes, only using the existing blocks and tweaking them until I got something that was in my comfort zone. It was a nice exercise. I generally do not use the Factory Presets, but your posts about them got me interested.
What I ended up doing, was taking the Euro Red Modern amp block from Preset 16, and trying it out on my template that I use to experiment with. I found that an amp block that I normally wouldn't gravitate towards, with settings I wouldn't use, sounded good in the template that is my comfort zone, with minimal tweaking.
So, if the Preset sounds "bad," that's alright. It was fun to take that "bad" preset and turn it into something that cool. I suppose I am saying that, I hear your criticisms and concerns and while we have different views, your comments inspired a fun five minute tweak session that I hope will bring about a new riff or song at some point and it gave me another color with which to express that.
Would you be so kind as to post the preset you tweaked. Curious as to what tweeks you made:)

Would you be so kind as to post the preset you tweaked. Curious as to what tweeks you made:)
Hi rhummellh, thank you for the interest. I didn't save the tweaks I made, as this was more of an off the cuff experiment. What I can tell you is, I wanted to change as little as possible to see what the minimum I needed to get into my comfort zone was. And honestly, it wasn't much. The Amp block got the most attention though. All I really did however, was look at the IRs that were used, and went through the various Speaker Impedance Curves until I found one that made sense (to me) to pair with that IR. I kept to the basic tone controls and adjusted them for my guitar. I found with my particular rig, I wanted a little more bass, less treble, and more presence (if I recall correctly). The only other real tweaks were the amount of gain or the wetness of some of the effects. Again, the idea was not to transform the preset into my own, (which would require more adjustments) rather it was to see what the minimum was to be useable for me. Sort of like if you show up at an open mic with only your guitar. You have a short amount of time to get someone else's rig to fit your needs and off you go. I did however, take that Amp Block and run it through my Direct template as well as my real cab template, and it sounded good through both, albeit it would sound more fitting with tweaks. I hope this helps.

Hi rhummellh, thank you for the interest. I didn't save the tweaks I made, as this was more of an off the cuff experiment. What I can tell you is, I wanted to change as little as possible to see what the minimum I needed to get into my comfort zone was. And honestly, it wasn't much. The Amp block got the most attention though. All I really did however, was look at the IRs that were used, and went through the various Speaker Impedance Curves until I found one that made sense (to me) to pair with that IR. I kept to the basic tone controls and adjusted them for my guitar. I found with my particular rig, I wanted a little more bass, less treble, and more presence (if I recall correctly). The only other real tweaks were the amount of gain or the wetness of some of the effects. Again, the idea was not to transform the preset into my own, (which would require more adjustments) rather it was to see what the minimum was to be useable for me. Sort of like if you show up at an open mic with only your guitar. You have a short amount of time to get someone else's rig to fit your needs and off you go. I did however, take that Amp Block and run it through my Direct template as well as my real cab template, and it sounded good through both, albeit it would sound more fitting with tweaks. I hope this helps.
Cool, thanks for explaining.

Preset Nr 16 Euro sounds bad
Well then, adjust it to your liking. There's no rule that says you have to run the factory presets exactly as they come from Fractal. When I find a factory preset that doesn't sound great with MY guitar and MY amplification, I either adjust it to taste or scroll on to the next preset.

Also, just saying it "sounds bad" is not very useful. It would help if you'd say what you don't like about the preset.

I think you misunderstood. Preset 16 and a few others originally sounded very good and have lost their character through several updates. my opinion is that fractal has formed these presets and thus offers an incentive to buy. fractal is already working on restoring the presets to their normal state. and that is also in the interest of fractal. of course every user can make this correction himself. but that is not the point. correct presets are part of the delivery status of this product. no more and no less.

I think you misunderstood. Preset 16 and a few others originally sounded very good and have lost their character through several updates. my opinion is that fractal has formed these presets and thus offers an incentive to buy. fractal is already working on restoring the presets to their normal state. and that is also in the interest of fractal. of course every user can make this correction himself. but that is not the point. correct presets are part of the delivery status of this product. no more and no less.
I do understand your reasoning. My point is that saying it "sounds bad" with no other explanation about HOW it sounds bad to you is not much help to Fractal. Too much high end? Not enough gain? Those details are helpful to others.

Out of 380 presets, I would expect at least a few that I didn't find to my liking or I thought did not sound good regardless of how recent they are in relation to FW updates. I believe I retained around 150, most with personal tweaks that I resaved to other locations.

Most presets are not affected by FW updates but when there is an accumulative, noticeable update to the amp modeling, FAS has always responded by updating the factory presets. We usually don't know they're working on them until they're released, which is what has been going on behind the scenes before this 'issue' with them arose.

I do understand your reasoning. My point is that saying it "sounds bad" with no other explanation about HOW it sounds bad to you is not much help to Fractal. Too much high end? Not enough gain? Those details are helpful to others.
Preset 16 sounds too sharp and shrill in contrast to the older firmware. With 16.04 the preset sounded harmonious and very usable. This preset was made by me only. named as an example. A few other presets are affected since firmware 16.04.

The differences between my HH and SSS guitars alone mean I need to make changes if I switch guitars.

this suggests a potentially interesting new feature: the ability to set up guitar profiles customized for each guitar that would adjust impedance, volume boost/cut, maybe EQ, and possibly compression to get each guitar to a similar place to work well with stock presets.

so I’d use my strat profile to boost the input level, add a gate to deal with the hum, and perhaps a little EQ or compressor because I like that with a strat.

I could use my Les Paul profile to cut the input level a little, no gate because of the humbuckers, and a different EQ profile.

The guitars would still sound different through the same presets, but instead of editing ALL the presets to work with a different guitar, you would just switch between guitar profiles and get most of the way there,

Last edited:
this suggests a potentially interesting new feature: the ability to set up guitar profiles customized for each guitar that would adjust impedance, volume boost/cut, maybe EQ, and possibly compression to get each guitar to a similar place to work well with stock presets.

so I’d use my strat profile to boost the input level, add a gate to deal with the hum, and perhaps a little EQ or compressor because I like that with a strat.

I could use my Les Paul profile to cut the input level a little, no gate because of the humbuckers, and a different EQ profile.

The guitars would still sound different through the same presets, but instead of editing ALL the presets to work with a different guitar, you would just switch between guitar profiles and get most of the way there,
Maybe for the AXE 4 Mark Infinity.:p

Back
Top Bottom