Axe-Fx III EQ Suggestions

Does anyone have EQ advice for metal/rock tones? I'm using the FAS amps. Any direction would be well appreciated!

Last edited:
Im curious about EQ as well. Seems to be several places to add it. I don’t think it is wise to use all of them at the same time. One inside the cab and amp blocks, then pre, post etc.

Use your ears? ;)

What problem are you trying to solve? You don't apply EQ "just because"...

Exactly, EQ is a tool to address issues, not a on size fits all, add this and your tone will sound better. Too many people just copy a setting, “sad” EQ curve etc, without considering how much lows and highs their own rig has and what actually works for them

Have you tried @2112 Leon Todd’s patches that he’s been posting? If not, give them a try, they are awesome......especially the C++ patch!
I've started to watch his videos, the C++ rundown was informative. I did download that patch. It's nice to see him cater to an audience looking for the heavier sounds that can be achieved with the Axe-Fx.

I agree that eq should be in most cases used to correct deficiencies, but my Mesa MKIIC in 1983 came with basic instructions that included a number of choices for the 5-band eq, depending on the style of music you intended to play. For metal it seems they dialed in a fairly strong “V” shape. You can always still try that and see if it fits your ears and situation, and save the Preset with another name, so you can compare (and not mess up an existing preset if it was already decent). Good luck.

Lee

I agree that eq should be in most cases used to correct deficiencies, but my Mesa MKIIC in 1983 came with basic instructions that included a number of choices for the 5-band eq, depending on the style of music you intended to play. For metal it seems they dialed in a fairly strong “V” shape. You can always still try that and see if it fits your ears and situation, and save the Preset with another name, so you can compare (and not mess up an existing preset if it was already decent). Good luck.

Lee
That's due to the nature of amp design of those particular amps. It is fairly specific to those amps.

Yeah, I know. Good thing is you can try this type of adjustment with no damage. I know there are times where I can make things more difficult by thinking too much. Thought I’d toss an idea out for them to try. Cheers

Honestly I recommend keeping it simple. My favorite preset on the Axe-Fx III is the 2018 Friedman (C45 on single coil guitars and regular with humbuckers) and the settings are all noon. Very close to a Mesa IIC+ type sound with default settings. You don't really have to post process much when using these tighter balanced amps.

Thanks man, appreciate the help! Keep up the great work on your videos as well. Any plans on posting a tutorial on the FAS, FAS II and FAS III amps?
I'm slowly working through all the high gain amps at the moment and they're not far off.

One thing I do with amps in the AxeFx is watch a youtube demo/instruction on the specific amp model for tips. One of my fave AxeFx IIC+ settings was lifted directly from a YT demo I watched back when I found the Marks to be seriously befuddling.

The AFX models are generally accurate enough that direct translations of settings are often very close.

many people think they get an Axe-Fx and they need to learn how to use it to get good tone. really what you need to do is learn the Amp model that you are choosing, and foremost learn what Amp you really need in the first place. so any knowledge of the "real amp" applies to the Axe as well.

i helped someone get a "tight marshall sound" one day. his original preset had major adjustments in the Amp block, changed a ton of Advanced parameters that i don't even understand. after a few minutes of him explaining what he's done and asking me what more can he change in the Advanced parameters... i said turn the Amp type to the USA Lead. he said ohhh i'm not a mesa guy at all. i've only played marshalls my whole life. i said ok. well let's just be silly then and try it anyway.

he tried it, we turned a few basic knobs and he said "... oh wow! that's exactly what i wanted!" i find that even with all the amp types available in the Axe-Fx, people generally stick to the ones they've always played before they got into amp modeling. this is fine of course, but you're limiting yourself by not at least trying something else.

if you're ever spending way too long tweaking Advanced parameters (or any at all for me), try a different amp model. people tweak Advanced parameters usually to change the FEEL of the amp, more than the tone. and that feel is probably already there in another amp.

Back
Top Bottom