Axe-Fx III Dimensions and Weight

There isn’t any clearance in the handles unfortunately. That’s where I wanted to have it. They make covers for the ports, and they also make flush plugs to protect them. In the end, I decided against it for now because I’m not handing it over to a TSA agent. ;)

ah okay gotcha!
I don't own that SKB yet but a friend of mine has it placed in my music school with his kemper in it so I didn't see how much clearance there is.
good to know. So you say it is absolutely not possible to mount them where the handles are?

The inside of the handle form is flush with the rack rails. I'm assuming the Axe III is going to sit flush with the rails internally. All the wireless gear has an extra ~1.5 inch indent that adds to the clearance. If I didn't have that, I'm not sure I would have had room to put any of those panel connectors. That may have forced me to go 6-RU, but carrying that is just a tad more awkward for me.

Another option was to build a tiny patch bay that coils out from the back of the SKB and folds into it when not in use. Clearances are just too tight for that, but could be possible. I really want a patch bay since it's served me well in the past.

In the end, I was trying to shoe-horn everything in as tight a form as possible. The eventual idea is to have the SKB in one hand, guitar in the other and a backpack with my footboard and pedals, etc. Work in progress... Haha!

With the decrease in depth, does that mean if the Axeiii is mounted in a 3u or 4u shallow effects rack it can more easily qualify as carry on luggage? I had to check my Axeii once in a 2u rack and almost had a heart attack when I got to our destination and pieces of the rack fell out when I opened it up! Fortunately the Axeii was unharmed

For comparison to the Axe-Fx II XL+.

AXE-FX II (2):
Width:
19.00in (483mm)
Height: 3.5in (88mm)
Depth: 14.25in (362mm) including front handles and rear jacks
Weight: 14.75 lbs (6.7 kg)

AXE-FX III (3):
Width:
19.00in (482.6mm)
Height: 5.16in (131.1mm)
Depth: 11.530in (292.87mm) including front handles and rear jacks
Weight: 15.15lbs (6.87 kg)

AKA:
The Axe-Fx III is:
Same width as the Axe 2,
47% taller than the Axe 2 (aka 3U)
24% "shallower" than the Axe 2
3% heavier than the Axe 2.
Thanks for providing this info.

Hi,

Has anybody measured how far the faceplate and handles stick out? I’m looking into ordering a flightcase and am uncertain if the lid depth is sufficient.

I’m sorry if this has been asked and answered already, I did a seach and couldn’t find it.

Thanks!

Hi,

Has anybody measured how far the faceplate and handles stick out? I’m looking into ordering a flightcase and am uncertain if the lid depth is sufficient.
The handles extend 1-3/4" beyond the front surface of the rack rail. Everything else on the front panel extends by a smaller distance (unless you keep instrument cables plugged in when you close the rack, in which case you'll need about 4").

The handles extend 1-3/4" beyond the front surface of the rack rail. Everything else on the front panel extends by a smaller distance (unless you keep instrument cables plugged in when you close the rack, in which case you'll need about 4").
Great, thanks!

Strange post but can anybody confirm

1) The Axe III comes doubled boxed (appears to be by unboxing videos)
2) The dimensions of the smaller second box

In a nutshell I am travelling to the US tomorrow and will be bringing one back with me but want to take a correct sized suitcase :)

Strange post but can anybody confirm

1) The Axe III comes doubled boxed (appears to be by unboxing videos)
2) The dimensions of the smaller second box

In a nutshell I am travelling to the US tomorrow and will be bringing one back with me but want to take a correct sized suitcase :)
1 - Yes.
2 - 22" x 16" x 10.75"

I have the handles protruding out at 1.10" not 1.20"

I'm looking to see if this will work for the dimensions of AxeIII and Line 6 half rack wireless. It's 10" depth from front rack rail to rear rack rail taking into account the case lid depth as well accommodating the handles.

http://www.audiopile.net/A4UE-10

.......or may have to be this 14" depth from front rack rail to rear rack rail

http://www.audiopile.net/A4UE-14

Last edited:
Shipping Carton: 23" x 17" x 12" (~21 lbs./9.5 kg shipping weight)

Next week I will (hopefully) go to pick the box at the post office and walk about 300m to the parking. I am concerned about the size to handle it. My arms are long but weak. For those of you who have already carried the box, do you think I may have to ask someone to help? (I am not much concerned about the weight but about the volume)

Perhaps I'll bring a box cutter to open a couple of handles at he sides.
Without knowing how weak "weak" is, if you can hold your hands half a meter apart and 20 cm in front of you while supporting 10 kg of weight that's resting against your stomach, you'll be fine. Even if you have to set it down and rest, then rest! :)

Back
Top Bottom