AXE FX III - Digital/Volume/Delay glitch every time I play live

fannar182

Hi there Fractal forum.
I bought a brand new Axe FX-III from G66 about 3 months ago and I've been using it for live shows 1-2x per week since then and I have this Digital/Volume/Delay glitch every time I play live. I can't pinpoint what it is but when it happens it always does right after I switch scenes via my FC12. The 'glitch' would best be described as a short burts (1sec or so) of 10-12db volume burst which is really really bad as it makes all the people in crowd go 'what the hell was that' and hold their ears. I've had band members and FOH/monitor engineers complain about this at recent gigs but I'm clueless of what this could be. It's like a short volume burst of a delay that has been forming inside the unit and when I change scenes it bursts out for 1-2 secs and then it behaves normally after that.
At first I thought it was the 'Spill' control that was doing it but I turned it off so it isn't that. I have the newest firmware and the newest editor version.. I don't run any pedals in my setup, just the FC12. It happens about 10-12x every gig which lasts about 3 hours each.
And as you can see from the pictures the volume burst seems only to happen in the left output.. I'm using XLR Main Outputs 1 (L&R, Stereo).. Could be unit be faulty?
Here are some audio examples from my last gig (same files as the screenshot)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-11 at 17.56.11.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-11 at 17.56.11.png
    101.1 KB · Views: 16
I don't seem to be able to post any audio examples here as it always flags the post as 'spam'. How do I share links to an audio sample on this forum? :(

Hi there,

If you are using your own user presets, please upload one that contains the issue. If you are using a factory preset, please let us know which one. The best way we can see what is happening, is if it can be replicated by one of us. The more info on your setup and presets you can provide, the better equipped the community is to help you.

Hi there,

If you are using your own user presets, please upload one that contains the issue. If you are using a factory preset, please let us know which one. The best way we can see what is happening, is if it can be replicated by one of us. The more info on your setup and presets you can provide, the better equipped the community is to help you.
I will do that tonight. Do you know how I can upload audio files to this forum?

Upload your audio to soundcloud. Then post a link to that clip

Your preset is the best remedy. Sometimes the way you set the delay's bypass method "mute in/ mute out/ etc....there are several options, and these can contribute to the volume pulses you have described. Post your preset. This should be relatively simple.

rodzimguitar68 got you covered with that answer.

There are several things it could be, most likely none of which is any cause for concern. There are so many different ways to raise or lower levels in the Axe, that it can be fixed as easily as it can be overlooked. All good.

Sounds like you’re changing to a louder delay channel.
What does that mean and how does that happen? As you can hear the delay on my main lead scene is just regular amount of delay volume wise. I get 10-12db 1-2sec burst of loud delay and then it 'settles' in and is okey. What could be causing this loud burst of delay when I switch to my lead scene?

What does that mean and how does that happen? As you can hear the delay on my main lead scene is just regular amount of delay volume wise. I get 10-12db 1-2sec burst of loud delay and then it 'settles' in and is okey. What could be causing this loud burst of delay when I switch to my lead scene?
Scenes can change channels in blocks. Sounds like the delay block is changing channels to something set louder so the old delay “audio data” is being processed by the new louder settings until the delay naturally fades out.

Upload the preset and we can tell you for sure.

Here is a short audio clip from my last live gig where this happened 10-12 times =

The file is not there. But anyhoo, there is probably an effect output level that is boosted when engaged, or boosted when bypassed, and when you switch scenes, you'll get the volume burst. One example would be if you put a delay in front of an overdrive/amp, and set the bypass mode to "thru" on the delay, and that volume is considerably different than when engaged, due to the mix and output volume settings. You could get unwanted pops or pops with delay repeats, that alter the volume of your outputs and clutter up your sound.

Again, post your preset and it will make it easier to receive help from the forum.

My guess from listening to the clip is that the bypass mode(s) aren't set correctly when switching channels and the Mix/Level rates between each channel switch is causing the burst. VERY common issue with users.

Are you running the delays in parallel or series?

@RoshRoslin @unix-guy @rodzimguitar68 @chris @AndrewJay
Thank you so much for commenting and trying to help me. I've never exported a preset before but I think I did it the correct way.
I also put screenshots of my setup in the preset as I don't know if those settings follow along with the export.

I use Scene Ctrl 4 to set the mix of my Delay block. Could that be creating that volume burst?

And onto another thing. At some gigs I get this very annoying feedback when playing through my scene 8 (Lead 2 FX scene) EVEN though we don't have any floor monitors on the stage, we all use IEM so the guitar is actually picking up the FOH speakers.. so I'm wondering if I'm
a) compressing to much in that scene b) the drive boost pedal has too much gain c) the amp itself has to much gain d) the a/d sensitivity is set too hot? I have Input 1/Instrument set to 100% (that way I get the red tickling when strumming the hardest, playing with Suhr Limited Edition Classic S Metallic) and Input 1 Gain set to 1.5.

Attachments

• Fannar 1.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot 2022-10-11 at 21.28.00.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-11 at 21.28.00.png
    216.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot 2022-10-11 at 21.28.46.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-11 at 21.28.46.png
    163.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot 2022-10-11 at 21.28.28.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-11 at 21.28.28.png
    153.2 KB · Views: 19
@RoshRoslin @unix-guy @rodzimguitar68 @chris @AndrewJay
Thank you so much for commenting and trying to help me. I've never exported a preset before but I think I did it the correct way.
I also put screenshots of my setup in the preset as I don't know if those settings follow along with the export.

I use Scene Ctrl 4 to set the mix of my Delay block. Could that be creating that volume burst?

And onto another thing. At some gigs I get this very annoying feedback when playing through my scene 8 (Lead 2 FX scene) EVEN though we don't have any floor monitors on the stage, we all use IEM so the guitar is actually picking up the FOH speakers.. so I'm wondering if I'm
a) compressing to much in that scene b) the drive boost pedal has too much gain c) the amp itself has to much gain d) the a/d sensitivity is set too hot? I have Input 1/Instrument set to 100% (that way I get the red tickling when strumming the hardest, playing with Suhr Limited Edition Classic S Metallic) and Input 1 Gain set to 1.5.
Yes that’s probably it. You’re changing the delay mix suddenly which will make the dry level and delay level change.

Yes that’s probably it. You’re changing the delay mix suddenly which will make the dry level and delay level change.
So you think the Scene Ctrl 4 is causing this? That's not good because I need somehow to be able to individually control the delay mix for the 8 scenes I have going on in the preset :/

Instead of Mix I’d control Input Gain, right under the Mix control.

Using mix can change the dry signal resulting in volume issues. Input gain just controls the Delay amount.
Okey I'm just trying to understand. Doesn't input gain increase/decrease the output of the scene? I don't want to make the scene louder in volume, just be able to have various amounts of delay audible in each scene.. that's why I thought controlling the Mix knob via SC 4 was such a good idea because it doesn't affect the volume output of the scene.. just adds more delay (or reduces delay).

Back
Top Bottom