Axe-Fx III Cygnus Factory Presets - Bank A Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get it. Truth is, if you've been dialing in your tones for a Cab block plus a real cab, you've been dialing in too much treble all along. That's the only way to defeat the double-cab "blanket."
This

I tried it as well before and though it does sound cool in some cases, most times you're just getting a double 'filter' or 'blanket' on your sound

Best to use just the real cab in your case, or switch to frfr for the cabs in the Axe-Fx

You're sure you have updated the presets?
There's no Brownface preset anymore ... now named Vibrato Lux.
I was looking as to where it went! LOL.
Figured it out and like it better than ever.

I do like the Fender amps in Cygnus.
Others not so much, but will work on it.

I was looking as to where it went! LOL.
Figured it out and like it better than ever.

I do like the Fender amps in Cygnus.
Others not so much, but will work on it.

To be blunt, I simply can’t believe that one doesn’t notice the improvements. Assuming that there are no issues with monitoring, global settings or other pieces of the chain.

To be blunt, I simply can’t believe that one doesn’t notice the improvements. Assuming that there are no issues with monitoring, global settings or other pieces of the chain.
To be blunt, having owned every single Axe FX hardware unit since the beginning, I kind of know what I am doing and hearing. I also have owned many of the amps modeled.

The FW changes to date have been good in my experience.

It's the first time I am considering going back to previous firmware, but certainly everyone has right to their own opinion. I am glad it works great for you.

As it is free upgrade, I am certainly not complaining and I always express my appreciation to Axe FX; just expressing my opinion.
I liked many of the amps I used a little better in previous versions.

I didn’t mean to attack your opinion, although I see that it can be interpreted that way. I expressed my own opinion about the set of new factory presets. Haven’t come across a single one that I dislike.

I am probably in the minority about Cygnus and the new presets. The Low gain amps (Fender) sound good.
Marshall variants decent.
Mid gain (Dumble ,Vox, etc) sound kind of synthetic.
Like Line 6 stuff.
The new presets are really kind of gainy and nondescrpt and similar overall. Previous FW had very distinct amp signatures.
The Two Rock 35 especially sounds very different in not a good way. Used to have a great Mesa Mark I/ Dumble thick tone.
Now it is just a bad Marshall.

Will try some Austin Buddy presets.
Asking out of pure curiosity and not trying to persuade you otherwise. What are you listening through, and for the vox, which IRs are you using?

I didn’t mean to attack your opinion, although I see that it can be interpreted that way. I expressed my own opinion about the set of new factory presets. Haven’t come across a single one that I dislike.
Hahaha. Maybe I was just used to the previous versions. Actually always mostly used factory presets in Bank A and a few AustinBuddy ones. Love the unit, of course.

They certainly sound different now. Seems to not be as distinct from each other as the gain goes up.
Will work with them.
Thanks.

Reactions: yek
Asking out of pure curiosity and not trying to persuade you otherwise. What are you listening through, and for the vox, which IRs are you using?
I use Sennheiser headphones, and Yamaha powered monitors and sub that are popular here.

Use whatever stock cabs they are paired with from factory. I am not a huge tweaker.
The Vox models with some growl were some of my favorites.

Last edited:
OK, I think I found the issue.
My Mackie 12 channel mixer I run everything through had the AXE FX 3 channel Gain knob turned up for some odd reason. Its next to my keyboard channel Gain knob so maybe got bumped up by mistake when playing piano.

That explains all of the presets soundy gainy and losing their character.

Much better now. All good. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom