Axe-Fx III Cygnus Factory Preset Banks A, B, and C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the factory presets @Admin M@ they are really fantastic to use as they are.
Some additional (user) presets are great to have. Came across the Fremen's Drones of Arrakis.. wow that is awesome to use in a composition/song or just to play with.. got me hooked for a long time getting ideas how to use it.

Also the Mr.Floyd and the Petrucci rig are phenomenal work... awesome tones!

Cheers
I need to record a demo for that one, glad you like it ! Don't forget to take a deep breath between each lick, to let the delays breathe ;)

You say you bought something to work out of the box, well that's why there's ARES and its set of factory presets. New units won't ship with Beta firmware so no risk for the less experienced users as you say.

If you like to participate in the Public Beta process you have to understand that you are not entering in a bug free zone, and as such, it's a process where a little investment in learning and understanding the unit will come a long way. Definitely won't recommend any Beta software for someone who wants it to "work right out of the box".
We have a different point of view, but I understand what you say.

Anyway, I was just asking for presets, sorry if this is the wrong place, and the wrong question.

What methodology do you use for auditioning the presets and selecting your favorites?

The presets on my hard disk occupy more than 10 times the capacity of the Axe-FX III, therefore I cannot afford the luxury of keeping them loaded.

I load one single bank, play preset by preset, and rename the ones that I discard with a blank. Once I finish, I save the survivors (the ones that still keep a name) on a Factory Favorites folder.

If I make some interesting modification on a preset, I save it in a <empty> slot with a suffix

View attachment 83859
It is slow, because sometimes I spend hours playing with a single preset, but I like to separate the ones that I can find useful

What's your method?
Pretty much my plan, when I get started on the new presets. House closes tomorrow, so there should be less paperwork and busy work eating up my time after that....

I need to record a demo for that one, glad you like it ! Don't forget to take a deep breath between each lick, to let the delays breathe ;)
I must say this preset is really amazing to play with. I have illuminator pickups and are very harsh, but with this preset behave themselves like it is ment to be. The effect of the long stereo delay even when volume muting the guitar is subtle but very pleasing to let ring out before proceding. Taking that breath between each lick is the way to let the sound fully flow through the stereo setup. Amazing stuff.

We have a different point of view, but I understand what you say.

Anyway, I was just asking for presets, sorry if this is the wrong place, and the wrong question.

Oh, it is definitely the right place and the right question, just the wrong time IMHO.

It's absolutely safe to assume new factory presets WILL come to the FM3. Right now it's not the right time because (FM3) Cygnus as a whole is still on Beta phase and it will take some time until it becomes a stable platform to build "100% fine-tuned" presets upon. I mean, it took like more than 12 (public) Beta releases before the Official release for the Axe-FX III and THEN they started working on updating the factory presets which, by the way, aren't still "100% fine-tuned" presets as Matt already stated.

The FM3 doesn't "need" updated presets more than the AFX just because there's the assumption of it attracting more people cause it's cheaper. As I said, not a single unit will ship with Cygnus until it is out of Beta Phase AND Factory presets are done being reworked (and I'm thinking not even the Axe-FX is shipping right now with FW 16 until the presets are fully reviewed). Until then, new FM3 users wanting to try Cygnus Public Beta will have to understand the risks and limitations of software not yet approved for production.

Jeff & Jan:
love the Amp/Synth mix, and the amps only are really cool too in this preset !
this Jeff Beck album is one of my faves,
thanks for this.

Last edited:
One-Note Synthestra (Bank C):

External 1 doesn't show up in the list of modifiers on the hardware or in the editor.

Seems like a bug.

Last edited:
What methodology do you use for auditioning the presets and selecting your favorites?

The presets on my hard disk occupy more than 10 times the capacity of the Axe-FX III, therefore I cannot afford the luxury of keeping them loaded.

I load one single bank, play preset by preset, and rename the ones that I discard with a blank. Once I finish, I save the survivors (the ones that still keep a name) on a Factory Favorites folder.

If I make some interesting modification on a preset, I save it in a <empty> slot with a suffix

View attachment 83859
It is slow, because sometimes I spend hours playing with a single preset, but I like to separate the ones that I can find useful

What's your method?
I don't want to hijack this thread with my standard soap box rant about how much I want real library functionality in in AxeEdit. To me a preset should just have a state of either on the AxeFx or in the library. The library should be pretty much unlimited in how many presets one could have and the whole inventory should support custom tagging along with setting up filters and groups on known attributes such as a block type, effect type, amp type, etc... to compensate I use a 3rd party product for tagging along with a workflow I've put together where I keep a pristine download repository of presets. I usually load the banks into the Axe then export them back out to the individual presets. Sometimes I leave them in order of the bank but other times I'll start to categorize them or alphabetize them but mostly I use the 3rd party product for that sort of thing. In that tagging software is where I mark things like favorites or rate them etc... I can then use those tags to generate groupings of what I want to upload to the AxeFx or to find something quickly. There is a link to a bit of discussion in another thread here https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...nks-2-3-coming-mid-summer.164305/post-2001226

I don't want to hijack this thread with my standard soap box rant about how much I want real library functionality in in AxeEdit. To me a preset should just have a state of either on the AxeFx or in the library.

I violently agree with this. I appreciate the work that the author of Fractool is doing for the community but it makes no sense that that type of functionality is not included in the official editor.

The following is not technic
One-Note Synthestra (Bank C):

External 1 doesn't show up in the list of modifiers on the hardware or in the editor.

Seems like a bug.
Yes, that's a weird bug of some kind. The modifier, External 1, is assigned to Volume Control in Volume/Pan block 1. It WORKS, but is not visible. I removed it, re-created it, and saved the preset and now it is fine.

None of this matters. You'll never play 1% of those even if you do nothing but audition them for 5 seconds each. (Random non-factoid, no calculations involved ;) )
Calculations involved, assuming 5 seconds to audition, with absolutely no time lag in between to switch it would take over 17 continuous hours to go through them all

If we assume a very fast, 2 second delay in switching/selecting presets (also assuming you don't play more than 5 secs on the ones you love😉), you would take over 24 continuous hrs to audition them all

Not withstanding ear fatigue, the need to eat, pee, sleep, attend to the wife/kids etc of course

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom