Axe FX III CPU/DSP Test!

LucasLeCompte

Experienced
I loaded up a test patch to test how many blocks the Axe FX III could handle. As you can see, it can handle A LOT.

I had a pretty hefty patch and was around 80% and man the editor was dragging hard. Like turn a knob and 5 seconds later it turns. Save, 5-6 seconds save.

Thanks for the demo but I'd like to see a realistic cpu test. IE:

PreFx: wah, pitch/whammy, studio comp, phaser, flanger, pre-delay, pre-eq, 2 drive blocks.

Amp/Cab: 2 Amps in parallel both using the in-amp compressor feature, stereo hirez cab.

Post-Fx: volume pedal, loop, tremelo, pitch/harmony, flanger, chorus, delay, hq reverb, rotary, eq

Would be very interest to see what the Axefx3 cpu is on such a patch.

Agree w/ @sprint ... Would like to see it w/ Amp, Cab, and multiple Drive blocks, but it's still inspiring to see how much you can add. Is the III like the others in that you really "can't" go to 100? (i.e. the AX8 is usable up to about 85-87%).

Also, once you add modifiers it'll bump the CPU a bit, although I don't know how much but if you were pushing the edge it might take you over it. Regardless, I think I could make some pretty killer patches on this thing ;-)

I had a pretty hefty patch and was around 80% and man the editor was dragging hard. Like turn a knob and 5 seconds later it turns. Save, 5-6 seconds save.

axe edit does drag once you get into the 80s, but then again it is the beta. I havent tried using the front panel when the CPU gets high.

PreFx: wah, pitch/whammy, studio comp, phaser, flanger, pre-delay, pre-eq, 2 drive blocks.

Amp/Cab: 2 Amps in parallel both using the in-amp compressor feature, stereo hirez cab.

Post-Fx: volume pedal, loop, tremelo, pitch/harmony, flanger, chorus, delay, hq reverb, rotary, eq

In the manual they make some patches like this and it says the CPU comes out to around 80 or so. They also set this up with two guitars. So what you described is 100% doable.

Agree w/ @sprint ... Would like to see it w/ Amp, Cab, and multiple Drive blocks, but it's still inspiring to see how much you can add. Is the III like the others in that you really "can't" go to 100? (i.e. the AX8 is usable up to about 85-87%).

Also, once you add modifiers it'll bump the CPU a bit, although I don't know how much but if you were pushing the edge it might take you over it. Regardless, I think I could make some pretty killer patches on this thing ;-)

EDIT: 90% is the limit you can go, says so in the manual.

Last edited:

It's pushing 92% but doable.

insane-chain.png

Awesome - Thanks so much for doing this. This would be an "all in" patch for me. The only change I would make is that I would only need 1 Cab (2 Amps into 1 stereo Cab switching the cab channel as needed to match the amp being used). Going to 1 Cab would probably bring CPU down to the mid 80s or so + whatever cpu is needed for the 8 or so modifiers I tend to use

Back
Top Bottom