Axe-Fx III coloring sound? I assume I goofed up somewhere...

I'm still working my way through the differences in tone/feel, etc between the Ax3 and my Two Notes in regards to a particular IR - Well, several IR's but I figure if I can sort out my favorite the others will be easy to correct. The only difference between the IR played through the Two Notes vs the Ax3 is the fact that I used CabLab 3 Lite to covert from WAV to SYX. Is there something that could happen in the conversion of the IR format that would impact the sound, feel, etc of a given IR? I'm planning on re-converting the IR tonight to see if that changes anything. Is there a particular setting I should watch for in CabLab 3 Lite? I would really like to use this IR in the Ax3 - It just has more liveliness, crunch, etc through the Two Notes. I'm sure the difference is not due to cables, impedance, etc as that all checks out.

As always, the advice is appreciated!

I have noticed the same thing with the Axe Fx II xl. I ended up selling it because i was never happy with its bypass sound coming into the real Amp. I connected it on front of a vox ac30 handwired. I was never fully satisfied. I had no issues when using the axefx directly in FoH, without amp, but when I had to use the real amp it was not the same. As you described, the tone was muddy, lacking of top end and it had a boost in the lows. I ended up buying the fx8. No perceivable difference to my ears now. Definitely there was tone suck to my ears, when connecting the axefx unit on front of my amp. I hope my experience help. I wanted to try the axe3 but it looks like the issue is still there.

The I/O settings in the AX3 were/are set correctly. In truth, I think the difference I was hearing had to do with the Two Notes Live. Roughly over the past year I’ve slowly migrated in full to the AX3. I sold the JP2C and a couple other amps but still have an MT15. I haven’t run 4CM with the MT15 but I’ll see if I can carve out some time this weekend and will report my findings. For what it’s worth- the AX3 is really good- I’ve been using the 6505+ model with both a Matrix poweramp and 2 Friedman 2x12’s as well as through FRFR using 3sigma audio’s IR of the same cab- Excellent either way! There’s so much flexibilty I can’t fathom anything it can’t do. I’ll see if I can experiment a bit this weekend- I truly haven’t felt the need since landing on this preset/setup.

I want to rehash this thread as its similar to my questions I have regarding poweramp sims in IRs.

When actually sending the sweep to create IRs, is it better to use a poweramp with tubes or without?

Back
Top Bottom