Axe-Fx III: Carry Case / Gig Bag Options and Ideas

biskitboy

Power User
Curious how you guys are planning to roll with the III on the horizon. Here's my idea:

Case: SKB 1SKB-R4S
Depth is 10.5. With the rear cover on, I should have no problems using right angle connectors and actually patch them through the side of the SKB with quick-disconnects for 2XLR's, 1USB, 1Power, 1Faslink, 1xTRS IEM input (from Aviom/ME-1's wired headphone jacks).

Axe FX III
on top

1xGLXD14RG
Wireless Guitar Unit
1xPSM300 Wireless IEM Transmitter
1xRadial Trim-Two Convert Aviom/ME-1 headphones to balanced for mixing with IEM Transmitter​

Backback: Unknown, Need FC-12 dimensions
Furman AC-215A
Super small piece of mind. I can probably mount it inside the SKB, but it just adds weight that is easer to carry on the back vs in my hand.

FC-12 w/2 EV2 Pedals
Hopefully mounted to a nice thin piece of plywood that slides right into the middle of my backpack.

Misc/Cables:
Wireless transmitter, various cables.​

Anybody want to share their ideas?

Edit: See this post: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/post-your-axe-fx-iii-rig.135782/#post-1607479

Last edited:
I have been looking at cases too. Definitely more options with the smaller depth. I will either go with a Furman on top or a nice big strobe tuner with mute button especially since there is no quick access tuner button anymore. I used the Axe tuner all the time and loved its accuracy but miss having a huge one.
I was thinking
Gator G-TOUR EFX4 - 4U, Shallow Audio Road Rack Case

Well - my plans sort of just got derailed... I have a 6U SKB rack ( 1SKB-R6W) that has the built wheels and all that with a Furman PL-8C at the top to keep things clean. Below the Furman I have my Kemper and my plans were to put a Fx II+ below it. I ended up with some chronic tendentious in both arms - so no playing for about 18 months.. at least nothing enjoyable.

I almost pulled the trigger but thought the sale price for an extended time looked like the guys trying to clean up some inventory for new gear.. despite the posts. Didn't expect that the III would come out as a 3U - but all things considered I am good with that.. its shorter and fits into a short rack now.

So.. I need to decide if I just go with 2 4U racks and get another furman or if I go with an 8U and put a blank in. I figure I am probably 27,000 on the wait list so I probably have time (lol..). So a GR-4S from Gator or GR-RACKBAG-4U for really light weight might be my 4U options (or SKB equivalents). The rolling versions are all 19" and I would rather take advantage of the smaller depth dimensions - so those are out.. and if I want to go 8U it looks like standard/long depths are whats available.

Question I would have is how much protection the Rack Bags have - I have never used them but my touring days are WAY over at this point so the molded plastic cases might actually be overkill.

Sadly the studio2go gator rackbag is only 2u because it feeds all my needs with the axefx2.
I would probably go for a gator 3u rackbag

The only potential problem I see with the Gator rack bag is that the front rails are right at the front of the case. If you carry it by the shoulder strap and sit it down, it's resting on the III's front handles. So it won't have a solid footing when you put it down and that's not much protection of that big beautiful screen and front panel.

So it won't have a solid footing when you put it down and that's not much protection of that big beautiful screen and front panel.

That is a pretty solid point - a big touch screen with little protection is sort of asking for a trip to the manufacturer to fix a broken screen.

The only potential problem I see with the Gator rack bag is that the front rails are right at the front of the case. If you carry it by the shoulder strap and sit it down, it's resting on the III's front handles. So it won't have a solid footing when you put it down and that's not much protection of that big beautiful screen and front panel.
GR-Rackbag-3U? It looks to have rails on both sides, just put the Axe-Fx III in the other way. Nothing dictates that one side is a front rail from what I can tell. (and to me it actually looks like the "front rail" is on top not bottom, but it's arbitrary.)

It looks to have rails on both sides, just put the Axe-Fx III in the other way. Nothing dictates that one side is a front rail from what I can tell.
True, it's still just a thin, soft sided lid. I wouldn't trust it. Would be nice to have something nice and light like this though

My worries with the Gator Rackbag was that it didn't seem to offer any protection for the protruding knobs on the III. It seems like the covers are nearly flush with the rails, which isn't much room. Surprisingly, the hardened plastic case by SKB & Gator appears to be lighter than their lightweight series.

GR-RACKBAG-4U: 15lbs
GR-4S (Plastic w/Cover): 11lbs

I've used the Plastic/Molded cases for years and prefer them to the plywood ATA style cases because they are just more lightweight and honestly seem more rugged. However, they aren't as pretty.

I have my Axe II is a nice light 3U Gator rack case that’s short depth. I use right angle plugs in back. Have a patch panel on front. Never have to take the back off. This has been very convienant for me as you can stand the case on its back end if needed (if you have patch panel on the front.

I’ll probably use the same for the III.

The case is only 14” deep or so. Nice and compact. Perfect for the III. Although might need a 4U now for patch bay.... hmmmm... decisions.

YMMV.

Gator 3U Audio Rack, Shallow (GR-3S) Amazon product ASIN B000Y7UMI4

Last edited:
Stay away from these puppies. Just ordered one in anticipation and the handles on my XL+ are too long to fit in the lid. You can get it closed but it doesn't seal properly, and it pushes on the handles. Very disappointed because the dimensions and build are otherwise very nice. Crazy that the lower grade Gators have sufficient clearance. The SKB equivalent is HUGE, too. Good protection, but not as portable. Back to the drawing board.
Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 6.08.13 PM.png

Back
Top Bottom