Axe-Fx III can take a pedal

hippietim

Axe-Master
I’ll probably never stop buying pedals even though the Axe really has what I need. So two pedals arrived yesterday and I wanted to put them through their paces. Instead of using my amps to test them, I chose the 3. One is the Vertex Steel String which is supposed to be a clean Dumble inspired boost/tone shaper. The other is the Rockett Archer which is a Klon clone.

Creating a preset was easy, in 1, out 3, in 3, amp, cab. Cabling was sending out 3 to pedal input and pedal output to in 3. And don’t be an idiot like me and forget to turn up output 3 on the front panel.

I chose a Deluxe Reverb set very clean into a Carol Ann 1-12 cab. Killer sound. The Fender cleans are great on the 3.

The Vertex was first. Really a nice pedal. Very good at touch response. When you open up the gain, the rig becomes really lively. With a hollow body PRS on the neck pickup the ton was fat and furry (almost fuzzy).

Next was the Archer. The Fractal amp model reacted just like my real Deluxe Reverb does with a Klon(e). It wasn’t just adding dirt, it was really changing the feel and interaction like the real thing.

Add a wah and some verb and I could have been happy at any blues gig. Really impressed with the pedal and amp model interaction here. Other modelers I’ve tried this with don’t change dynamics like you’d expect.

I’m really not getting as far deep into the 3 as I want, I just end up getting stuck playing.

Some of your amazing playing would make for a nice clip right about now....

So I actually recorded a clip a few minutes ago creating the preset from scratch with the Klon clone. Holy crap. The video software lost it's f**king mind. I used two webcams and the video captured ok - I had the audio capture from my RME interface so it would be decent. The source video clips are fine. But when I used Pinnacle Studio to export the mixed video it creates a disaster. I've tried multiple different output settings but no matter what I do, a little bit into the clip it just starts flickering like a 60s acid video that would surely give someone a seizure if they suffer from epilepsy.

Holy crap what terrible software. I'm going to attempt to use their 30-day refund policy.

Edit: See my post below for an updated video using some other software.

Last edited:
Of course that Vertex is yet the latest of his “original” high priced designs which has actually turned out to be just copying an existing circuit.

Not quite as bad as when he bought all the BBE wah pedals, relabeled then and charged a few hundred bucks, but not a lot better since he claimed it was an original circuit he designed.

Cool the III takes pedals well in front though

I even tried exporting just the camera on the screen with zero multicam transitions - just the audio merged - and it just did the freak out thing with different stills of the grid. This software sucks.

Sounds great and the message came across! Thx.
I am sure if someone inends to add a "flashing" effect to his video it will never be that perfect:)

Great to see how the AxeIII interacts with pedals. Seems very amp-like. The more I see online of the III the more the anticipation grows to get my hands on this thing. Thanks for the vid!

Wow that sounds fantastic!

So now I have to spring for an Axe-FX III when my name comes up from the list AND am Rocket Archer Pedal. Thanks A LOT!!!

Back
Top Bottom