Axe-Fx III Cab Block as general purpose mic pre?

GreatGreen

Power User
I checked the manual but wasn't able to find a solid answer.

Can I use the Axe-Fx III's Cab block with a flat IR to emulate a general purpose mic preamp? In other words, can I simply connect something like an SM57 straight to Input 2, then route the Input 2 block on the grid to the Cab block, set the IR to flat, then use the Cab block's preamp modeling to emulate a mic pre? Will the levels be sufficient by default or will I need to do anything special to get it to work properly?

This totally works. I believe you will have to bump the cab output level up to compensate, because I think you get a volume drop using the flat cab ir.

I like doing this when I record my acoustic with an outboard pre amp (condenser mic, so needed phantom power) and I use the cab block to add some tape or vintage drive/sat. Works perfectly.

Also, I think the level should be okay with a 57. I think it really depends on how loud/quiet your source is.

Keep in mind it’s more of a “pre” emulation, but to raise the level you are raising the noise. It’s always best to use a real pre before the axe fx. Then you color it with can block imo

I checked the manual but wasn't able to find a solid answer.

Can I use the Axe-Fx III's Cab block with a flat IR to emulate a general purpose mic preamp? In other words, can I simply connect something like an SM57 straight to Input 2, then route the Input 2 block on the grid to the Cab block, set the IR to flat, then use the Cab block's preamp modeling to emulate a mic pre? Will the levels be sufficient by default or will I need to do anything special to get it to work properly?
It can be done, but it's not the Cab block that you want. Instead, use the Amp block with the type set to Tube Pre.

It can be done, but it's not the Cab block that you want. Instead, use the Amp block with the type set to Tube Pre.

Actually I'm specifically thinking of the Cab block's mic preamp emulation where you can choose between preamps like Tube, Bipolar, FET, Vintage, Modern, etc.

It will give you the character of the various different mic pres, but the xlr inputs on the axe itself don’t have mic preamps to bring the signal up to a good level without a higher noise floor with low output mics like a 7B, no phantom power for condensers, etc.

Whether that level of noise is acceptable is up to you. You could buy a dedicated mic pre, but at that point you might as well just buy a dedicated interface with SPDIF I/O for your AX3, built in mic pres, etc.

Also, it is my understanding that impedance plays a big role in the sound of a particular mic and pre combination.

It will give you the character of the various different mic pres, but the xlr inputs on the axe itself don’t have mic preamps to bring the signal up to a good level without a higher noise floor with low output mics like a 7B, no phantom power for condensers, etc.
Try a Shure A85F if you want to increase the input level of your mic.

7405480_800.jpg

Back
Top Bottom