Axe-Fx III - bush crickets in my headphones

Liquid22

Inspired
Okay don’t worry. I’m fine, but...

..can some recreate following behaviour (I just updated to 1.16 beta#2. Don’t know if it was there before):

When I play the Axe III over head phones AND it’s connected via USB to my Notebook there appears digital chirr as soon as I turn the volume knob.

You can hear it the best if you play just the low E-string and the turn the volume knob back and forth (more or less quickly). Tried to record that sound but (un)fortunately Cubase gets it without any insect noises.

(by the way: It doesn’t matter if the power supply of my Notebook is connected or not)

Can anyone try to recreate this, please. I wont to know if it’s the Axe or just my Notebook.

Thanks allot
;-)
Liquid

That's normal. The volume knob is virtual. It's read by an A/D converter and the data value controls the volume. The data value is quantized so you're hearing the step change.

Thanks for the swift response, Cliff.

But why is it just with USB connected? I mean the head phones are plugged into the Axe anyway. What changes on the head phone output, as soon as the Axe detects the USB connection to the Notebook?

In my non-technical words: Can’t you tell the head phone output just not to care if USB is connected or not? I mean i.e. the DAW ignores it somehow when recording. I know the DAW uses USB...but you get me, right?

Thanks for the swift response, Cliff.

But why is it just with USB connected? I mean the head phones are plugged into the Axe anyway. What changes on the head phone output, as soon as the Axe detects the USB connection to the Notebook?

In my non-technical words: Can’t you tell the head phone output just not to care if USB is connected or not? I mean i.e. the DAW ignores it somehow when recording. I know the DAW uses USB...but you get me, right?
I don't know. This means your notebook is sending some low level garbage over the USB, maybe a small DC signal. We have no control over that.

Okay thanks again.

So that would mean, if I'd plugged the Axe III into a different Notebook or PC the chirr might disappear. Or in other words: not all Axe-III users are experiencing what I described before, right?

Okay thanks again.

So that would mean, if I'd plugged the Axe III into a different Notebook or PC the chirr might disappear. Or in other words: not all Axe-III users are experiencing what I described before, right?
It doesn't happen with my computer.

Thanks, first I thought that, too. But as I already wrote, unplugging the power supply doesn't change anything.
Oh sorry, didn't see that post.
Allright ;)
Hopefully some day someone invents a USB-DC-Noise-Gate-Type-of-Thing.

Thank you.
I don't know if it would solve your issue but something like that already exists
Amazon product ASIN B01MXDZ0PO
P.S.: you could also try a USB cable with a ferrite bead

Last edited:
:flushed:
Camel_Cricket.jpg

[...}

P.S.: you could also try a USB cable with a ferrite bead

After testing of different USB cables, I found a extension with ferrite bead at home. I tried and that took a lot of crickets out of my headphones.

The chirr sound now is less noticible. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom