Axe-Fx III block to simulate FreqOut?

I'm just curious if anybody has been able to create a block or scene that can mimic what the digitech freqout pedal does? It seems like it might be possible by using a combination of drive, delay, and pitch but I haven't been able to quite replicate the sound and feel yet. Anybody else have any luck trying to get natural feedback without massive volume? I know I could just put the freqout pedal in the loop but it seems like it's something we should be able to create given the power of the Axe III.

The FreqOut is the only pedal I have in my signal chain. It's so specific (and excellent) for what it does, I don't think the III can replicate it as well without Cliff building an effect block just for that purpose.

I have it setup in one of the loops so I can toggle it on/off at will. It is glorious.

I actually thought the FreqOut didn't sound very natural. I think you could sound more natural but creating a loop inside the Axe-Fx that goes from after the amp back before the amp and kind of low-ish volume level depending on how big you want that effect.

I actually thought the FreqOut didn't sound very natural. I think you could sound more natural but creating a loop inside the Axe-Fx that goes from after the amp back before the amp and kind of low-ish volume level depending on how big you want that effect.
I tried that once... Scared the hell out of myself with a really loud loop!

And I was cautious before I started... Had the feedback level very low.

Just got to put the FreqOut in a loop, give it a dedicated comp and a delay and it’s awesome. Set up a exp pedal for the mix and you can do sweet stuff like have the feedback swell in when you want and depending on your settings, echo out with long repeat as you keep playing underneath it etc. setting it to the sub octaves and you can create some really unique synth type tones too, really fun with additional modulations.

One of my all time favorite dedicated pedals on its own, and then combined with the routing and dedicated parallel effects options in the III it even better.

They are actually getting pretty cheap too used, not sure Digitech is even going to be around much longer. Totally worth current prices imo, and just works so much better than anything I’ve been able to try to reproduce with just the Axe on it’s own.

Just got to put the FreqOut in a loop, give it a dedicated comp and a delay and it’s awesome. Set up a exp pedal for the mix and you can do sweet stuff like have the feedback swell in when you want and depending on your settings, echo out with long repeat as you keep playing underneath it etc. setting it to the sub octaves and you can create some really unique synth type tones too, really fun with additional modulations.

Cool idea, I have to try that with mine.

interesting idea, but also a short delay, to simulate the time difference between the source (speaker) and the guitar? i wonder if that would also alleviate the instantaneous coupling/feedback? and an expression pedal connected to the loop volume, so you've got some control?
Yeah that's what I was thinking about as well. :) Also a PEQ that's sort of mimicing guitar pickups so that's like low cut at around 75hz and a loooong Q high cut?

Cool idea, I have to try that with mine.

Did you just get one ?

Try adding a tremolo block set for a choppy waveform, and modulate the rate with a long dampening parameter, and set a slowish I set on the pedal. Really cool sound getting this increasingly faster stutter effect as the “feedback” effect swells in

This was my attempt.... It starts around 0:28 and then again during the section with the backing track.

I would love to get my hands on one to see if I could get really close, and mimic it's controls too.

Last edited:

Tried that but it doesn’t work. Can’t generate natural-sounding feedback with an internal loop.

I tried something else. I connected a microphone to Input 2 and hung it right before my FR speaker’s grill. The picked up signal then enters the grid to feed the Amp block. I was hoping to reinforce natural feedback this way at low volume, but so far no luck. I just get some non-musical feedback. :)

I have a freqout. If trying to get natural sound, there’s only one combination that gets close. But ML SOUND LAB is absolutely right. It can produce an unnatural tail In the last few milliseconds. This has been my experience.

I have a freqout. If trying to get natural sound, there’s only one combination that gets close. But ML SOUND LAB is absolutely right. It can produce an unnatural tail In the last few milliseconds. This has been my experience.

There is where the compressor block helps out a lot, the pedal needs a certain input level, and as the string vibration dies out it can cut off abruptly. Some delay after it also helps give the effect longer apparent sustain as well

Tried that but it doesn’t work. Can’t generate natural-sounding feedback with an internal loop.

I tried something else. I connected a microphone to Input 2 and hung it right before my FR speaker’s grill. The picked up signal then enters the grid to feed the Amp block. I was hoping to reinforce natural feedback this way at low volume, but so far no luck. I just get some non-musical feedback. :)

The pedal actually can induce natural feedback pretty easily I’ve found. Step on the pedal, get your guitar close to the speaker, and even at pretty low volumes you can keep the feedback going for some time, I’ve gotten several minutes. I think what’s happening is the pedal is generating the simulated feedback effect based upon the note(s) your playing, and when you pump that signal back into the guitar through proximity to the speaker, it reinforces the effect to the extent that a true feedback is created, only it doesn’t take nearly the volume.

I need to experiment a bit more with it but wonder if with a decent amount of volume if a perpetual sustained e-bow effect could be produced

Back
Top Bottom