Axe-Fx III Basic Review and Impressions

Rags

For those of you who are reading reviews in order to determine if an AXE III is for you bear in mind that this review is from a very new user of Fractal products and especially the Fractal AXE III. While I am somewhat versed in ‘modelers’ going back to the original ROCKMAN, these devices were primarily obtained for the excitement of a new sound and the added benefit of multiple stomp boxes in a single piece of equipment.
The AXE III represents, as far as I’m concerned, the best the digital world can emulate the analog domain and having said that, Fractals’ AXE III is its’ own unique domain. Every aspect of sound reproduction and reinforcement is superbly taken into consideration.
Initially I wanted to take the AXE III right out of the box and within a day get it ready for a gig. Upon more reasoned and seasoned advice, it became apparent that a little more time should be given to understanding the capabilities and enormity of this technological work of art.
While creating patches should be old school to most of us by now, it is frustrating that just when the tweak you thought would be perfect is completed, another tweak simply blows you away. This is evidenced by the almost limitless combinations of sound that can be achieved.
If you are familiar with modelers you should be able to dive right in and explore without a second thought after some basic familiarization with the controls. You will probably find yourself creating a layout only to find a better way to do it. Have patience and give yourself a little time while enjoying the glorious pallet of sound at your disposal.
The purchase of the AXE III is justified in my case for many reasons, not having to lug a seventy pound amplifier being just one of them. Live or studio work and other possibilities which I haven’t even entertained yet make me quite certain that the AXE III represents the future of musical expression and inspiration.

Back
Top Bottom