Presets MASTER THREAD -- AustinBuddy's 200+ BASS TonePack for Axe-FX III/FM9/FM3 and Legacy AX8/Axe-FX II

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
I installed the updated bass presets last night and they were all blank. It took me a bit to finally realize that I hadn’t updated my Axe firmware to 16.05. Austin, your presets sound great!

I installed the updated bass presets last night and they were all blank. It took me a bit to finally realize that I hadn’t updated my Axe firmware to 16.05. Austin, your presets sound great!
Thank you so much! Scott Nelson and I worked hard to update these to sound as great as we could get them. Lotta work - but worth it!

Hi @joafink2

I designed these so if you needed to do that, you could easily make a shunt to do it

Here is what it would look like under your scenario:

1. In any preset you want use with Power Cab, delete the shunt after the RETURN block and second COMP block

2. Run a shunt straight from back of amp to the last row with GEQ and OUT2.

This will only work for Scenes 1 to 4 (no DI). You cna adjust the GEQ before Out 2 if you like before it hits your power amp and real cab to sculpt it a little more.

Hope that helps!

View attachment 82396

I just tried this and have no signal coming out of output 2 to go to my power amp. Any suggestions as to what the problem could be?

Last edited:
For Axe- Fx III users, don't go to the beta firmware 18 yet. While it will not change any amp tones, Cliff has reworked some of the compressors and it may affect some in the preset, from what I had designed originally. I may affect signal level output.

I will try to check it all out -- but may be a few weeks for I can thoroughly investigate.

There is a cool new batch utility in the software editor now which is great. So, if changes are need under firmware 18, I can probably make a Youtube video to show you how to fix any compressor settings quickly and easily on your own end...

Привет. И когда ждать обновление на 18 прошивку? В нем есть изменения компрессора. Спасибо!

Have started working on the minor update to firmware 18/19 to fix any affected compressors. Cliff is also changing the Blackglass drive again, but until that is final I can’t update that one. So it may be a few weeks.

In the main bass amp section, just turn the threshhold for pedal compressor in front of amp from -60 to -45 threshold. I am away from unti next five days but Scott and I started working on it, but it may be March before done since a lot of firmwares (FM3, FM9) have to “catch up” to the III firmware so the changes are uniform across all units.

Okay everyone, firmware 5.0 is out now, called Cygnus X2. You do not have to reset the amp blocks for this new firmware. However - this firmware makes major changes to several compressor types and the BlackGlass drive. I've started work on an FM3 5.0 200+ Bass Tonepack update to address that should be ready March -April.

Here's what you need to know so far: Read the firmware release notes!!!

(For the newer users, this first part will help. Pros can skip to below).

1. Before you update to FM3 firmware, always back up your entire FM3's banks and global settings file using FractalBot.

It's a really good idea save your various firmware edition backs up to separate folders marked with the firmware the presets were saved on.

So for example, if you have firmware 4.01 loaded now, create a folder on your computer called something like "FM3 fw 4.01 Bank Backups". This way you can't get confused and load old saved presets under the wrong firmwares.

(It's also a really good idea to SAVE the 4.10 firmware file itself and your global settings file somewhere as well. That way if you aren't happy after an update, you can revert back to things just like the where).

2. Remember, if you load up a new firmware then SAVE a preset under that firmware, and decide to revert back to a prior firmware, the lower numbered firmwares cannot see that preset any more -- it will appear as "empty" in your preset list if you revert back. It is however still there and if you load the firmware you saved it under it will reappear.

3. After you load a new firmware, you usually also have to update the editor as well. If you don't things can appear screwy.

5. You might need to refresh the editor settings. The editor usually this does this automatically when you restart the editor. But in case it doesn't or things seem screwy, go the editor pull-down menu called SETTINGS. Then click the third choice "Refresh after Firmware." layback and wait.

6. Also, sometimes after a new firmware, you need to refresh your preset names. You can do this simply by exiting the editor and restarting it, or using the Preset picker and in the upper right part of the dialogue box, click the circular two arrows button. See the blue here:

View attachment 96064

7. Also, never try to run FractalBot while the editor is open/connected, and vice versa. Your FM3 can't talk to two software programs at the same time.

Okay, now on to 200+ Bass TonePack stuff for this update.

I'm going to poke around some more and you should too, but this firmware update does NOT require an amp block reset. So all of your amp tones are intact. If you don't like the sound of firmware 5 compared to firmware 4.01 or earlier just go back.

For any 200+ Bass Tonepack preset thatuses some of the pedal compressors, the tube type, JFET and Dynacomp or the optical, then you may have to adjust the threshold settings or other compressor settings manually yourself to update, until my update is available. Try changing the threshold level first. For example, the pedal compressor types default now to -60, try -45 to start.

The good news: the Studio FB1 compressor I often like to use (post Cab) is not affected by the firmware update.

The Blackglass drive has been updated/changed again, and you may need to manually fix that if you use it.

My update priorities -- I am going to have to update the 200+ Bass Tonepack first, and then probably Brit Rock, because of all the compressor changes that really do change things. In fact Scott and I already started on the bass Tonepack.

I'll be tackling those in March-April-May. Should go quickly once I get into it, but I travel a good bit for my day job work over the next 12 weeks away from the studio.

But the amp tones in the 200+ Bass TonePack should be fine under the firmware.

If something seems very off to you under the new firmware other than what I flagged above, please report it here or email me at heybuddy @ austinbuddy.com. As you know, I can't physically audition all 3000 AustinBuddy Tonepack presets scenes right after a firmware comes out, so ya'll's ears in spotting any major issues is really tremendously helpful. Muchas Graicas!

Okay everyone, firmware 5.0 is out now, called Cygnus X2. You do not have to reset the amp blocks for this new firmware. However - this firmware makes major changes to several compressor types and the BlackGlass drive. I've started work on an FM3 5.0 200+ Bass Tonepack update to address that should be ready March -April.

Here's what you need to know so far: Read the firmware release notes!!!

(For the newer users, this first part will help. Pros can skip to below).

1. Before you update to FM3 firmware, always back up your entire FM3's banks and global settings file using FractalBot.

It's a really good idea save your various firmware edition backs up to separate folders marked with the firmware the presets were saved on.

So for example, if you have firmware 4.01 loaded now, create a folder on your computer called something like "FM3 fw 4.01 Bank Backups". This way you can't get confused and load old saved presets under the wrong firmwares.

(It's also a really good idea to SAVE the 4.10 firmware file itself and your global settings file somewhere as well. That way if you aren't happy after an update, you can revert back to things just like the where).

2. Remember, if you load up a new firmware then SAVE a preset under that firmware, and decide to revert back to a prior firmware, the lower numbered firmwares cannot see that preset any more -- it will appear as "empty" in your preset list if you revert back. It is however still there and if you load the firmware you saved it under it will reappear.

3. After you load a new firmware, you usually also have to update the editor as well. If you don't things can appear screwy.

5. You might need to refresh the editor settings. The editor usually this does this automatically when you restart the editor. But in case it doesn't or things seem screwy, go the editor pull-down menu called SETTINGS. Then click the third choice "Refresh after Firmware." layback and wait.

6. Also, sometimes after a new firmware, you need to refresh your preset names. You can do this simply by exiting the editor and restarting it, or using the Preset picker and in the upper right part of the dialogue box, click the circular two arrows button. See the blue here:

View attachment 96064

7. Also, never try to run FractalBot while the editor is open/connected, and vice versa. Your FM3 can't talk to two software programs at the same time.

Okay, now on to 200+ Bass TonePack stuff for this update.

I'm going to poke around some more and you should too, but this firmware update does NOT require an amp block reset. So all of your amp tones are intact. If you don't like the sound of firmware 5 compared to firmware 4.01 or earlier just go back.

For any 200+ Bass Tonepack preset thatuses some of the pedal compressors, the tube type, JFET and Dynacomp or the optical, then you may have to adjust the threshold settings or other compressor settings manually yourself to update, until my update is available. Try changing the threshold level first. For example, the pedal compressor types default now to -60, try -45 to start.

The good news: the Studio FB1 compressor I often like to use (post Cab) is not affected by the firmware update.

The Blackglass drive has been updated/changed again, and you may need to manually fix that if you use it.

My update priorities -- I am going to have to update the 200+ Bass Tonepack first, and then probably Brit Rock, because of all the compressor changes that really do change things. In fact Scott and I already started on the bass Tonepack.

I'll be tackling those in March-April-May. Should go quickly once I get into it, but I travel a good bit for my day job work over the next 12 weeks away from the studio.

But the amp tones in the 200+ Bass TonePack should be fine under the firmware.

If something seems very off to you under the new firmware other than what I flagged above, please report it here or email me at heybuddy @ austinbuddy.com. As you know, I can't physically audition all 3000 AustinBuddy Tonepack presets scenes right after a firmware comes out, so ya'll's ears in spotting any major issues is really tremendously helpful. Muchas Graicas!
Will this update cover the Axe FX 3 presets for bass as well? Or is that further in the future.

Need your guys prayers and positive vibes for Bass player Scott Nelson who helped me make these presets for 2000+ Bass Tonepack. He was in a very bad car accident a few days ago (not his fault) and still in hospital with fractures and on IVs etc.. He's going to live but this will delay the timetable to update the compressors and Blackglass drive in the TonePack up to latest firmware. Thanks.

Need your guys prayers and positive vibes for Bass player Scott Nelson who helped me make these presets for 2000+ Bass Tonepack. He was in a very bad car accident a few days ago (not his fault) and still in hospital with fractures and on IVs etc.. He's going to live but this will delay the timetable to update the compressors and Blackglass drive in the TonePack up to latest firmware. Thanks.
What's a timetable? Rest and mend, Scott.

Back
Top Bottom