Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy's 1400+ NAKED AMPS TonePack for firmware Cygnus X2

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
Hi @Larry Ball

It's there now in your "My Downloads" account on my website if you bought the Axe-FX III version, under July 2022.

The FM9 version is unchanged - so that one will still only show May 2022 version.
Thank you, I appreciate it. I understand it takes time to update presets, and so I was just making sure I am current. As soon as I have some time I will be getting the Live Gold, to help learn about the differences with the live sound and how to achieve that from presets I have made. I really appreciate the STELLAR customer service. What an awesome community we have with Fractal products.

Guys - stick with public firmware 20.01 for the June-July 2022 Live Gold presets/update.

Don't go to the beta 20.02+ for now. If you do that's going to change the sounds via new speaker curve impedance (SIC). Can't say how yet, not had time to test 1000 sounds. But I am sure I'll haver to make adjustments if using the new curves in a future update.

Supposedly there will be hardware unit "soft switch" added that will let you preserve the existing speaker impedance curve values from prior to 20.02 beta in next beta release, rather than overwrite them (forcibly). If so, you should be able to use that added soft switch set to NOT update to new SIC in your presets, and everything would sound as it does now.

Eventually I'll have an update for that new SIC stuff. Just wanted to provide ya fair warning. Carry on!

Hey guys! The FM9's public beta 3.00 firmware is now released by FAS. Your patience is waiting for the firmware up date is now rewarded!

Your FM9 NakedAmps presets found in the download zip file-- "July2022_NakedAmps" under the FM9 folder should work on this new firmware (they won't appear empty anymore if you tried to load them before).

Reminder, the zip folder will say they are for 2.03b firmware, but all the Naked Amps presets for FM9 will "appear" and work fine on 3.00 public beta.

Go here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm9-firmware-version-3-00-public-beta-1.185298/

Also, you'll need to update your FM9-editor as well to use the firmware.

Use Fractal Bot to load the new firmware and 2.03b Naked Amps presets. Then start/ use the new editor. Make sure the FM9 editor is not open when you use Fractal Bot.

Enjoy!

Guys - stick with public firmware 20.01 for the June-July 2022 Live Gold presets/update.

Don't go to the beta 20.02+ for now. If you do that's going to change the sounds via new speaker curve impedance (SIC). Can't say how yet, not had time to test 1000 sounds. But I am sure I'll haver to make adjustments if using the new curves in a future update.

Supposedly there will be hardware unit "soft switch" added that will let you preserve the existing speaker impedance curve values from prior to 20.02 beta in next beta release, rather than overwrite them (forcibly). If so, you should be able to use that added soft switch set to NOT update to new SIC in your presets, and everything would sound as it does now.

Eventually I'll have an update for that new SIC stuff. Just wanted to provide ya fair warning. Carry on!
@austinbuddy AB, is it possible whenever you are done reviewing all your preset packs due to fw20p02 default SIC's change that you might be able to include a list of just those presets that have non default SIC's? Looks like as long as they are saved on fw20p02 or newer fw's that they will retain your non default SIC's.
Thanks for all that you do for us! Always stellar presets.

Also, on a separate topic with your Global scales I was curious what slot 6 was for? I see that all your Globals for LiveGold, Naked Amps, Brit Pack have the 3 Zep Global scales in slots 3, 4, and 5 and slot 6 is in LG and NA packs. I added the Global scale for Jessica in AllMyBrothers preset, scene 4 in 2 slot but I had to get that scale from your video.

1657847939706.png

Last edited:
Geez they keep you busy mate.
Thanks for all you do!
Pauly

@austinbuddy AB, is it possible whenever you are done reviewing all your preset packs due to fw20p02 default SIC's change that you might be able to include a list of just those presets that have non default SIC's? Looks like as long as they are saved on fw20p02 or newer fw's that they will retain your non default SIC's.
Thanks for all that you do for us! Always stellar presets.

Also, on a separate topic with your Global scales I was curious what slot 6 was for? I see that all your Globals for LiveGold, Naked Amps, Brit Pack have the 3 Zep Global scales in slots 3, 4, and 5 and slot 6 is in LG and NA packs. I added the Global scale for Jessica in AllMyBrothers preset, scene 4 in 2 slot but I had to get that scale from your video.

View attachment 104913
Maybe but it’s a lot of work to figure that out again preset by preset across 600+ of them for LiveGold. Naked Amps only uses default SIC curves though. I am hoping with the new curves on the next update I can make everything in Live Gold a default curve, it’s too much work to update the settings for the customized ones.

Maybe Fractal Audio will in the future let us save any custom SICs to a library like blocks to recall any time - that would be nice and easier!

Last edited:
Maybe but it’s a lot of work to figure that out again preset by preset across 600+ of them for LiveGold. Naked Amps inly uses default curves though. I am hoping with the new curves on the next update I can make everything a default curve, it’s too much work to update the settings for the customized ones.

Maybe Fractal Audio will in the future let us save any custom SICs to a library like blocks to recall any time - that would be nice and easier!
Sorry AB. I never would want to ask something that would be a lot of work like that. I didn't realize you didn't have those identified. I thought maybe you did when you spoke about the percentage of them that had different SIC's. They still sound amazing on fw 20p02!!!
Thank you for responding as always👌

Sorry AB. I never would want to ask something that would be a lot of work like that. I didn't realize you didn't have those identified. I thought maybe you did when you spoke about the percentage of them that had different SIC's. They still sound amazing on fw 20p02!!!
Thank you for responding as always👌
I did write them down somewhere for LiveGold, because I had to go update them after one firmware required an amp reset after July 2020, and so did a rough calculation to get % changed vs default.

But they aren't typed up and are in my chicken scratch shorthand. Maybe I could take a photo of it, but you might not be able to decipher! :)

I really don't want to fool with prior SIC values in a preset, but if I could not get an IR to be exactly as bright as needed, or needed to be less thump/bassy, I was sometimes forced to go to that page and tweak. I am really hoping in future updated the new added SIC curves will fix all of this and I can only use default SIC curves in the future.

But this is a Naked Amps thread, and I did NOT mess with old SIC curves for Naked Amps - just for LiveGold.

Last edited:
Here is a temporary beta FM9 foot-switch layout file I did. I may still tweak this further for the next zip file update, there is none in there right now. I had to choose between Comp1 and Drive 1 for space reasons, so picked Drive1. But you can use the empty Per-Preset for anything you need to customize for your own preset(s) (layout 7 on FM9).

Attachments

• July2022_FM9fw3_all-layouts_20220716_223417.fclayout
    85.1 KB · Views: 5
I've been playing around firmware 20.02 as well as FM9 3.00 public beta today. Mostly Marshalls.

I'm finding with my FRFRs loud (both a pair of Atomic NEO CLRs, and Mission 2x12 Gemini), I am really liking (used not to like this!) using the Amp block's speaker page SPEAKER COMPRESS, SPEAKER DRIVE, AND SPEAKER THUMP.

Those all default to ZERO in the current TonePacks. Set like that it makes the feel a little immediate and arguably stiffer. The new changes to firmware Cliff made negate the need to leave at zero ( I used to not like the old speaker compression).

I'm finding I like these settings with the Marshall style amps in LiveGold (should apply to Naked Amps too):

SPEAKER DRIVE = 2.0 (firmware will default to 2.0 for most new amp block)

SPEAKER COMPRESS = 2.0 (firmware will default to 1.0 or maybe more)

SPEAKER THUMP = The new default of 2.5 seems good, but if things are bassy, lower it.

The above settings add some compression - so the sound will be a little less loud than when all are set to zero, but you can notch up the amp block by just a slight extra +1 db (no more) if you need to.

The above settings on Speaker page smooths out the tone, it's less stiff feeling and a little less sharp sounding (in a good way).

I'll probably go with the above settings as new defaults in the next update, at least for the Marshalls. It may different for Class A or Fender or other amps, but for the Marshall styles it works great in my testing so far.

Cheers!

I've been playing around firmware 20.02 as well as FM9 3.00 public beta today. Mostly Marshalls.

I'm finding with my FRFRs loud (both a pair of Atomic NEO CLRs, and Mission 2x12 Gemini), I am really liking (used not to like this!) using the Amp block's speaker page SPEAKER COMPRESS, SPEAKER DRIVE, AND SPEAKER THUMP.

Those all default to ZERO in the current TonePacks. Set like that it makes the feel a little immediate and arguably stiffer. The new changes to firmware Cliff made negate the need to leave at zero ( I used to not like the old speaker compression).

I'm finding I like these settings with the Marshall style amps in LiveGold (should apply to Naked Amps too):

SPEAKER DRIVE = 2.0 (firmware will default to 2.0 for most new amp block)

SPEAKER COMPRESS = 2.0 (firmware will default to 1.0 or maybe more)

SPEAKER THUMP = The new default of 2.5 seems good, but if things are bassy, lower it.

The above settings add some compression - so the sound will be a little less loud than when all are set to zero, but you can notch up the amp block by just a slight extra +1 db (no more) if you need to.

The above settings on Speaker page smooths out the tone, it's less stiff feeling and a little less sharp sounding (in a good way).

I'll probably go with the above settings as new defaults in the next update, at least for the Marshalls. It may different for Class A or Fender or other amps, but for the Marshall styles it works great in my testing so far.

Cheers!

View attachment 104913
Not sure what my custom scale 6 is for exactly - but don't think it's for Brit Rock, that just uses the three from 3 to 5 I believe. But I'm away from my machines. It may be for "Last Child" by Aerosmith but I think that harmony part in the lead was diatonic.

A little update for you guys....

1) All TonePacks are on sale (discount) until midnight December 30th. Discounted amount is $79 for LiveGold, Naked Amps, and Brit Rock #1 (Led Zep albums I to IV). The 200+ Bass TonePack is discounted to $69.

2) No AustinBuddy TonePacks are yet updated to the very recent, new Axe-FX III firmware 21 public release, and thus are not updated either for any forthcoming corresponding other unit new firmwares (that will soon follow from Fractal Audio for FM9 and FM3 to mirror the III).

Before I update all the TonePacks, need all three units to align firmware-wise before I will put in the volume of work to create a complete update. All TonePack updates will be free and show up in your account on my website when available.

I don't control the timing of the firmwares of course. Wiill start working on updating LiveGold for the III next week into December, and when complete it should port of easily to the FM9 and FM3, once those firmwares catch up to the III.

So it may be very early 2023, or with luck I can get LiveGold out by Christmas/New Years, IF all the FM9 and FM3 firmwares line up by/before then.

Then I'll start on updating 1400+ Naked Amps into early 2023, then 200+ Bass, and last, Brit Rock Royalty #1. Every TonePack gets updated at least once a year, if new firmware comes out.

Wanna be brave and try new firmware with existing presets? You CAN try to use the presets under new firmwares before an update, but be aware the LEVELS can change with Cygnus X2. For Example some Marshalls may sound louder and hit the "red" now, or some Class A amps may seem a little quieter. So you'd have to adjust for that yourself.

If you want to be brave and try that, PLEASE back up your banks in FractalBot first on your existing firmware BEFORE updating to new firmware (and keep a copy of the preexisting firmware handy), to protect the preset amp settings. The Cygnus X2 firmware installation can overwrite/change presets custom amp block values I made in the current Cygnus X1 available version, such as Lo Input EQ in the amp block - those will get zero'd out or reset in Cygnus X2!

3) You can still use LiveGold, Naked Amps, Brit Rock and 200+ Bass on the firmwares that existed before Cygnus X2 without any issues, that is up to 20.04 for the III, 5.03 for the FM3, and 3.00 for the FM9. This is true even if they were made for firmware 20.01 like Naked Amps was.

4) With all this, for now am going to temporarily suspend on-going work on my 1000+ FX Warehouse forthcoming effects block TonePack, given beta work and likely TonePack updates, but that TonePack WILL happen/be released in first half of 2023.

Hope everyone has great holidays!

A little update for you guys....

1) All TonePacks are on sale (discount) until midnight December 30th. Discounted amount is $79 for LiveGold, Naked Amps, and Brit Rock #1 (Led Zep albums I to IV). The 200+ Bass TonePack is discounted to $69.

2) No AustinBuddy TonePacks are yet updated to the very recent, new Axe-FX III firmware 21 public release, and thus are not updated either for any forthcoming corresponding other unit new firmwares (that will soon follow from Fractal Audio for FM9 and FM3 to mirror the III).

Before I update all the TonePacks, need all three units to align firmware-wise before I will put in the volume of work to create a complete update. All TonePack updates will be free and show up in your account on my website when available.

I don't control the timing of the firmwares of course. Wiill start working on updating LiveGold for the III next week into December, and when complete it should port of easily to the FM9 and FM3, once those firmwares catch up to the III.

So it may be very early 2023, or with luck I can get LiveGold out by Christmas/New Years, IF all the FM9 and FM3 firmwares line up by/before then.

Then I'll start on updating 1400+ Naked Amps into early 2023, then 200+ Bass, and last, Brit Rock Royalty #1. Every TonePack gets updated at least once a year, if new firmware comes out.

Wanna be brave and try new firmware with existing presets? You CAN try to use the presets under new firmwares before an update, but be aware the LEVELS can change with Cygnus X2. For Example some Marshalls may sound louder and hit the "red" now, or some Class A amps may seem a little quieter. So you'd have to adjust for that yourself.

If you want to be brave and try that, PLEASE back up your banks in FractalBot first on your existing firmware BEFORE updating to new firmware (and keep a copy of the preexisting firmware handy), to protect the preset amp settings. The Cygnus X2 firmware installation can overwrite/change presets custom amp block values I made in the current Cygnus X1 available version, such as Lo Input EQ in the amp block - those will get zero'd out or reset in Cygnus X2!

3) You can still use LiveGold, Naked Amps, Brit Rock and 200+ Bass on the firmwares that existed before Cygnus X2 without any issues, that is up to 20.04 for the III, 5.03 for the FM3, and 3.00 for the FM9. This is true even if they were made for firmware 20.01 like Naked Amps was.

4) With all this, for now am going to temporarily suspend on-going work on my 1000+ FX Warehouse forthcoming effects block TonePack, given beta work and likely TonePack updates, but that TonePack WILL happen/be released in first half of 2023.

Hope everyone has great holidays!

Back
Top Bottom