Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy 1000+ LIVEGOLD TonePack for Cygnus X2

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
You guys - for now, please use the public 20.01 firmware with this version June 2022.

BIG TIP: At a LOW volume, if anything sounds like it "has a blanket over it" or isn't punchy enough, just crank up the amps' MID control and it will pop out of your speakers in most cases. For example, Brit Brown sound, Scene 3 -- if you crank the mids up to 9 it will jump out of your studio speakers at you (and you will magically become Eddie Van Halen, well, have his sound anyway...).

Next Update?
Proving I can never keep TonePack fully up to date with Cliff's pace of innovation goodness, this past Friday (just a day or so after 20.01 was officially public!) he already released a beta firmware 20.02 that is a re-work of Speaker Impedance Curves. You may see this as SIC abbreviated.

I need to play with this new firmware, and it may require yet another LiveGold tonepack update this summer to use it. To apply the new SICs right now under that beta, you have to unselect the current SIC and re-select it, and the new firmware SIC version comes in.

Understand that on about 25% of my presets, I don't use the default speaker curve for an amp, I instead audition and pick one that better matches the Cab IR to my ears... and on about 5% of the presets I mess with speaker curve parameters as well, to lower bass or raise treble response So all that may need to get reworked now that we have NEW SICs.

Cheers all!

You guys - for now, please use the public 20.01 firmware with this version June 2022.

BIG TIP: At a LOW volume, if anything sounds like it "has a blanket over it" or isn't punchy enough, just crank up the amps' MID control and it will pop out of your speakers in most cases. For example, Brit Brown sound, Scene 3 -- if you crank the mids up to 9 it will jump out of your studio speakers at you (and you will magically become Eddie Van Halen, well, have his sound anyway...).

Next Update?
Proving I can never keep TonePack fully up to date with Cliff's pace of innovation goodness, this past Friday (just a day or so after 20.01 was officially public!) he already released a beta firmware 20.02 that is a re-work of Speaker Impedance Curves. You may see this as SIC abbreviated.

I need to play with this new firmware, and it may require yet another LiveGold tonepack update this summer to use it. To apply the new SICs right now under that beta, you have to unselect the current SIC and re-select it, and the new firmware SIC version comes in.

Understand that on about 25% of my presets, I don't use the default speaker curve for an amp, I instead audition and pick one that better matches the Cab IR to my ears... and on about 5% of the presets I mess with speaker curve parameters as well, to lower bass or raise treble response So all that may need to get reworked now that we have NEW SICs.

Cheers all!
I am on public 20.01 as of yesterday. For your presets, is the thump at 5 by default? Any tips on messing with that new feature?

Couldn't find AB 20.01 new updated version, with my fully up-to-date FW of Axe III, as shown in my AB account.

Attachments

• 화면 캡처 2022-07-04 052428.jpg
    화면 캡처 2022-07-04 052428.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 5
I am on public 20.01 as of yesterday. For your presets, is the thump at 5 by default? Any tips on messing with that new feature?
I designed them without any “thump.”

If “Thump” is defaulting to 5 in latest firmware, then that is a problem that will need to be fixed in all of them presets. I have not looked yet. I was playing some Marshalls in LiveGold today in 20.01 and they sounded great.

There is a way to fix it across all presets globally that I can do pretty easily.

Let me check this out, and I can show you guys how to do that if needed. I thought Thump defaulted to zero - so if not, that is news to me.

EDIT: Looks to me that Thump is correctly defaulting to zero. So just dial it in to taste. It will matter if you are using studio monitors at home (shouldn't need any Thump there, especially if recording to sit in a mix) or what type of FRFRs you have as to whether Thump will add something you like to it in terms of bottom end. Experiment!

Last edited:
Couldn't find AB 20.01 new updated version, with my fully up-to-date FW of Axe III, as shown in my AB account.
Did you scroll down and see if it was at the bottom past the initial screen?!? I will check but am pretty sure I added it. PM me with your email and we’ll handle it

Hi everyone. This is a long post about using the Axe-FX III with a FC-12 with my TonePacks,.

Attaching my FC-12 "All Layouts" which I updated for firmware 20.01 public.
This layout allows "hand's free" access to most major preset and scene functions, all using your feet and your FC12. I'll explain more below in each layout.

I was going through my old layouts and some things weren't right that I've now fixed, likely caused by different firmware upgrades over past year or so.

If you have an Axe-FX III and an FC-12, here is a July 2022 updated FC12 Layout file that lets you access some of the features in LiveGold and Naked Amps (as well as other AustinBuddy TonePacks).

First things first though. To use this "all_layouts" file, first you need to do a few things.

1. In Axe-III editor, Click FC EDIT then go to left side of screen next to word LAYOUTS. Click on the "Edit" down triangle, and select EXPORT ALL LAYOUTS. Wait while the operation happens. This SAVES for existing layout file, so you have a backup. You can always restore it. Do this BEFORE you try to install the one I'm providing!!! You have been warned. ;)

2. Exit the editor. Make sure your Axe-FX III is set up for the Fc12 (not FC6). You can install the factory layouts if you want. You can do that from the front panel of the hardware. Like this: SETUP > choose FC CONTROLLERS, then page over to the last menu, and choose LOAD FC-12 FACTORY DEFAULT LAYOUTS AND SETTINGS. Then REBOOT your Axe-Fx III.

3. Next, reopen the Axe-III editor. You'll next need to set the FC->EDIT button at the top right (make it yellow by clicking on it) > then hit on far right the FC CONFIG button and from there set the Bank Size to = 8, for this to layout properly.

4. Once again, next to word LAYOUTS, click on the "Edit" down triangle, and select IMPORT ALL LAYOUTS. Choose the attached file called:

"all-layouts_AustinBuddy_FC12_July2022.fclayout"

This will take a minute but will load up 9 layout pages over the factory ones.

Feedback is welcome on this. It uses the factory layout to start, but then I customize it. I haven't really checked the colors so you might want to change those as you like.

LAYOUT PAGES - DESCRIPTIONS
On all layouts, the FC12 right side has functions-related, like bank or preset up/down, tuner, tap tempo, master layout, etc.

In any name if you see a SLASH "/", then what follows after the slash is the action that happens when you HOLD the button down rather than tap it.

For example "Bank+1/Mst" means tap to go up a bank, but HOLD and it will open the Master Layout page.

Or, "Bank -1/Tnr" means tap to go down 1 bank, or HOLD and the TUNER will activate (and HOLD once again, to exit the tuner).

Layout 1 is PRESETS. This layouts 8 Presets by name at a time, in two rows of four.

If you play a Strat or a Tele, tap and HOLD on any chosen preset to activate the the "Kicker Coil" to boost the signal for single coils in the preset (unless the preset/scene has a "*" in the name denoting it was made for single coils, in which case activating this is not necessary!).

In this PRESETS layout page, you can advance up a bank of 8 or down a bank of 8 on the far right side. You can also navigate to the SCENES page, the EXF1 or EFX2 page, or activate the Amp Boost in any preset/scene (but better to do that from layout 2 SCENES page).

For the BANK buttons, you'll also want to set the UPPER LIMIT in any bank up/down button to fit your unit - that is =64 for Original Axe-FX III and double that to =127 fif you own the Axe-Fx III Mark II.

Layout 2 is SCENES. Here you will see all 8 scenes by name (truncated due to LED limit), laid out in two rows of four on the left side of the FC12, 1-4 on bottom and 5-8 on top of those. You will also see a dedicated UP and DOWN preset button. There is also a Tap temp and Tuner button too.

If you aren't using the new SET LIST and you have your gig's presets all in order, you might live on this layout page all night, advancing through each song and then song scenes.

If you HOLD in any Scene, it will kick on the CS2 AMP BOOST. This is not obvious from the label, but just remember - if you see a Scene name on a button, HOLD that button and CS2 will come on.

From here you can always navigate to the Master Layout. There is a switch to go direct to EFX as well.

Layout 3 is MAIN EFX1. Tapping the switch turns an effect on (or off if it is already on).

Drive1 only works if a fuzz is present, or you put one in yourself. Drive 2 is called "AusB Drv2" and that is what is in all presets.

Also in EFX 1 are Pitch1, Chorus1, delay1, Comp1, TremPan1, Reverb1 and Delay2. Also, AMP Boost (Cs2) and Fat Switch (HOLD) are available here.

The main cool thing about these EFX switches is, if you HOLD the switch, you can choose between all four channels A-B-C-D (increment as you hold/click). So you can play or try out up to four effects. (I am hoping sometime in future Fractal will allow use to tag these ABCD channels with custom names, like the RJM mastermind can, let's hope so!).

A "EXF2>>/Mst" can take you to a another EFX page, or back to Master layout

Layout 4 continues the effects access as EXF 2. Effects available here include the Rotary1, Phaser1 or Univibe, Flanger1, Wah1 (if not using Auto activate with pedal), Pitch 2, Plex1, PEQ1, and GEQ1. Here is also where you can navigate to the Looper page (In addition to the master Layout method) as well as back to Scenes or the Amp Controller Page.

Layout 5 is the Looper page. It has all looper functions. It also lets you do an amp boost, kicker coil, and navigate to EFX 1 or EFX2 or Scenes as well as Preset and master layout. Remember, a cool thing is if you have a looper in each preset, you can switch presets and the looper keeps playing. So you could make a nice clean loop then change to a new preset for a lead tone, as long as both have the looper block in them. Can be nice for practicing.

Layout 6 is the only layout page I created from scratch, that is not a factory layout I adapted. This is the AMP CONTROL page, and where you can use switches to access the control switch "CS" function tied to the amp block.

As Tonepack user manuals note:

CS2= AMP BOOST switch - adds a varying db gain to input of amp (amount/value can vary by preset, i set by ear. You can experiment with what sounds best to you!

CS5= Saturation switch. Not every amp will sound good with this, but some do, and it usually boosts your volume a bit too like Amp Boost does. Some amps default to Saturation ON, so clicking this on those may turn it off.

CS3 = FAT switch. If an amp has a fat switch, this is how you can turn that on or off from the FC12. But even if an amp does not have one, this can be cool, especially to help single coils guitars.

*Kicker Coil - adds 5.1db to incoming signal to amp, to help single coil guitars. But you can also use this as additional boost with humbuckers!

CS4 = BRITE RVRS. This will reverse the brite switch from whatever it is set for in the amp block-- either On to off, or Off to on. Mostly useful with Fender style amps.

CS6 = BASSCUT. If your preset or scene is too bass heavy or muddy sounding - this can help. If Basscut is active already in preset, then hitting this will turn it off.

Tremolo. If an amp has a tremolo in it, you can access it here as on/off. In EFX area you will find it there too, you can choose channels as well.

Amp1 +1/-1. This can help you set amp levels during rehearsals. If you click this once, it will raise the Amp block LEVEL by +1db. If you HOLD it instead it will reduce the Amp block LEVEL by -1db. Note however if you have a compressor/limiter block post-cab (like Naked Amps does), then THAT is the best place to fix levels, not here. NOTE: This switch permanently saves any change you make here to the preset, so use extreme caution!

Since Naked Amps has two amp blocks, there is also an Amp2 +1/-1 switch here too. Note - you need to check what AMP blcok is active - Amp 1 or 2 - when using the Naked Amps, so you know which switch to select.

Last - CS1 is not used, but you might have a way to us a CS controller. that is the purpose of WILDCRDCS1 switch - it will turn on/off CS1 if you have one.

Layout 7 is the PERFORM1 page. If you've got everything set up for gigs in preset/scene/efx order, you could do the entire gig from this page instead of the layout 2 Scene page (which I prefer). Here you can advance or go back a preset, advance or go back a scene, access both effects pages, access the looper, and kick on the amp boost, or tap tempo, or tuner, or go to preset page, scene page, or Master layout.

Layout 8 is Empty for your own use/designs

Layout 9 is the MASTER LAYOUT. Don't mess with this.

I would like to do a video of all this - easier to show you -- but I'm time crunched - so wanted to get this out now.

If the CS controllers stuff is new to you, go to my AustinBuddy YouTube channel and look for the most recent LiveGold Video that explains Controllers/CS by Scene.

Hope this is helpful. As time permits, I plan to update the layouts for the FM3 alone and the FM3 OMG9, as well as the FM9 layouts, all of which somewhat mirror this approach.

But the FC-12 is just a joy because everything layouts out so nicely -- 8 presets per bank, 8 scenes per preset, plus the function buttons next to that. Sweet! Thank you Fractal Audio!

Attachments

• all-layouts_AustinBuddy_FC12_July2022.fclayout
    94 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Also - here (attached) is a quick preset I made for the new amp model Diamond Del Fuego, for LiveGold.

Wanted you to have this for now (it's free here). I'll get it on Axe-Change too.

I did tweak a few things from the default.

No FM9 or FM3 version yet, have to wait until the firmwares catch up to include that amp model.

Attachments

• NEW Diamond Del Fuego AX3-cx.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 21
I designed them without any “thump.”

If “Thump” is defaulting to 5 in latest firmware, then that is a problem that will need to be fixed in all of them presets. I have not looked yet. I was playing some Marshalls in LiveGold today in 20.01 and they sounded great.

There is a way to fix it across all presets globally that I can do pretty easily.

Let me check this out, and I can show you guys how to do that if needed. I thought Thump defaulted to zero - so if not, that is news to me.

EDIT: Looks to me that Thump is correctly defaulting to zero. So just dial it in to taste. It will matter if you are using studio monitors at home (shouldn't need any Thump there, especially if recording to sit in a mix) or what type of FRFRs you have as to whether Thump will add something you like to it in terms of bottom end. Experiment!
Yeah sorry if I misspoke. You’re probably right but I’ll check tomorrow too and play around with it.

Good news - got LiveGold Bank 2 full updated this week! Reworked some amps there too.

NOTE: FM9 users still will have to wait until the next firmware comes out from Fractal Audio - either 2.03 beta or maybe 3.0. One that is is publicly released, your unit can "see" these presets. I've been beta testing and had to save these on that currently beta version.

All three banks of LiveGold for FM3, FM9, and Axe-FX IIII are now fully updated as of June 26, 2022, and now available in your accounts. Login to your account and go to the "My DownLoads" area and find the zip file labeled LATEST June 2022.

(If you have already loaded up Banks 1 and 3 from the partial update from earlier this month, know that those are still good and you can just install Bank 2. I did re-save Banks 1 and 3 under this update, but other than that, they are not changed as presets).

Look at the README notes, and make sure you have the correct firmware to match.

These sound great! Re-leveled many of them, some EQ touches. I did change some speaker impedance curves in a few amps to make them sound clearer, like the Captain Hook (in Bank 1), the Dumbles.

Check out the Boutique amps in Bank 2, the Suhr Badger and the Dr. Z Route 66, the CAE. Pretty cool!

At this rare moment, all TonePacks I offer are up to date and work with currently available firmwares.

Headed out on vacation for a week....enjoy the tones!
Will you have to re-update these presets between the next beta and public release?

Will you have to re-update these presets between the next beta and public release?
I have to see what Cliff does. But probably not have to update - existing speaker impedance curves will still work it appears.

The existing presets should work fine on a final 20.02 but that can change, it’s a wait and see.

Guys - stick with public firmware 20.01 for the June-July 2022 Live Gold presets/update.

Don't go to the beta 20.02+ for now. If you do that's going to change the sounds via new speaker curve impedance (SIC). Can't say how yet, not had time to test 1000 sounds. But I am sure I'll have to make adjustments if using the new curves in a future update.

Supposedly there will be hardware unit "soft switch" added that will let you preserve the existing speaker impedance curve values from prior to 20.02 beta in next beta release, rather than overwrite them (forcibly). If so, you should be able to use that added soft switch set to NOT update to new SIC in your presets, and everything would sound as it does now.

Eventually I'll have an update for that new SIC stuff. Just wanted to provide ya fair warning. Carry on!

Last edited:
Hey AB, I bough both this and Live Gold when they came out as I’d just bought an AF3, my first Fractal product. This pack was so helpful in hearing what this beast could do and not tweaking endlessly. It was also great in helping me start building my own presets, especially with amps I wasn’t familiar with.

I’ll be honest and say I haven’t used them for a few FW updates as I’ve been engrossed in building my own, but thought I’d fire them up with this latest update (which is above and beyond btw).

They’ve always sounded great, but I‘m absolutely blown away all over again. The first night I never got off the first few Fenders and have been slowly working my way through. They literally all sound incredible to me, even the amps I didn’t get on with before.
I was pleased that my own Marshall presets sounded pretty similar, but they’re the amps I know the best.
Despite studying up on some amps, I just can’t get the tones I want from them. The SLO100 being one or the Matchless amps. I tried your presets and there’s that sound in my head. Back to school for me.

Im waffling, but just wanted to say again thanks very much for all the work and the constant updates, even 4 years later. Absolutely love these packs. I feel like I’ve got a bunch of new amps to play with!

Hey AB, I bough both this and Live Gold when they came out as I’d just bought an AF3, my first Fractal product. This pack was so helpful in hearing what this beast could do and not tweaking endlessly. It was also great in helping me start building my own presets, especially with amps I wasn’t familiar with.

I’ll be honest and say I haven’t used them for a few FW updates as I’ve been engrossed in building my own, but thought I’d fire them up with this latest update (which is above and beyond btw).

They’ve always sounded great, but I‘m absolutely blown away all over again. The first night I never got off the first few Fenders and have been slowly working my way through. They literally all sound incredible to me, even the amps I didn’t get on with before.
I was pleased that my own Marshall presets sounded pretty similar, but they’re the amps I know the best.
Despite studying up on some amps, I just can’t get the tones I want from them. The SLO100 being one or the Matchless amps. I tried your presets and there’s that sound in my head. Back to school for me.

Im waffling, but just wanted to say again thanks very much for all the work and the constant updates, even 4 years later. Absolutely love these packs. I feel like I’ve got a bunch of new amps to play with!

Thanks for the kind thoughts @Nik73. On the LiveGold Marshall-style presets/bank, -- using the CS2 amp boost is really the key - that's what really wakes the Marshall style amps up and they really come alive - fatter, juicy, squishier. Sometimes the CS5 saturation boost does the trick too.

The one limitation of 1000+ LiveGold preset (compared to 1400+ Naked Amps) is that I only get to make four sounds really (without boosts) per amp channel, and the preset design layout is to make them generally run "clean to low to rhythm to lead" (a little different for metal amps, no cleans).

So there is some consistency - gain keeps increasing as you advance by Scene 1-4 -- BUT the amp tone tends to be more static, just gain added but keeping overall preset/amp character in place.

Some amps are really mostly one-trick ponies EQ-wise, but there are amps like the Diezels, Matchless, Dumbles, Suhr Badger, the various Marshall or Mesa pre-amps, or even a '59 Bassman or a Soldano that I can get a dozen different tonal or EQ sounds out of... so I get to stretch out more in the 1400+ Naked Amps and show some further amp versatility, to add thicker and thinner sounds not just less or more gain.

Thanks again for weighing in here, so glad you are digging the update!

So you might want to check those out for your Axe-FX III sometime in your search, although 1000+ LiveGold will keep you busy!

Hi everyone:

I have worked on a BETA version of the FM3's OMG9 layout, redone to account for various updates and changes since 2020.

To use this, you need an FM3 and an FC6, linked together. I use the Fractal Factory OMG9 as a default template, and then adapted it.

As usual, when you see a "slash" / on an LED button name, that means there is a HOLD feature there you access by holding the foot-switch down.

The AustinBuddy OMG9 adapted layout then:

• adds amp control page, accessed from scenes View 2 (Scene HOLD on FM3)
  • moves the looper from FM3 button three access to the FC6 as a second view page (SCENE HOLD on FM3)
  • adds the ability to go up or down banks (HOLD the EFX/Bank+- FM3 button
  • adds the ability on any preset SCENE to hold that on the FC6 and it will engage the CS2 boost
  • doubled the effects layout pages and tried to make sure any effect I use in LiveGold is shown and can be accessed, plus you can also HOLD and advance incrementally through all four ABCD channels in an effects blocks.

I'm not saying it's perfect for stage/gig use, but for home studio use, it does let you access all the main functions in LiveGold using foot-switches.

Here it is.
You can use my global system file if you like. That loads with FractalBot. You need to be on firmware 5.03. You might need to adjust AUDIO page settings etc. to match your system. BTW, I have my Global Out EQ flat but with +2db, so it matches the levels as ai A/B identical presets on my Axe- FX III side by side with the FM3 in my Apollo console.

Or, you can go the layout route. To do that, first install the Factory OMG9 settings from SETUP > FC CONTROLLERS > (page over to RESET) and choose "Load FM3+FC-6 ("OMG9") Layout & Settings."

Then re-boot your FM3.

Then launch FM3 editor, click the right side FC EDIT so it is lit up in yellow, and then on left next to LAYOUTS the down triangle by edit, click that triangle and select IMPORT ALL LAYOUTS. Point it at the attached "AllLayouts" file. It takes a minute to load.

Now, your FM3 under FC EDIT > DEVICES should always STARTUP LAYOUT set to layout 8 (just like Factory OMG9Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 7.53.01 PM.png). Check that:

The 3 buttons on the FM3 itself will let you access (L) Presets/Tuner, (M) Scenes/More (which when HOLD is Scenes 7 and 8, the AMP CS controllers, and the Looper), and (R) Effects plus Up/Down Bank (6 presets per bank).

The FC6 is where the rest of the actions and options happen.

IMG_6755.jpg

As always, MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR SYSTEM FILE AND ALL LAYOUTS FILE FIRST, before you install this!!! So you can always revert back anytime you like.

Let me know if you find flaws or weirdness - PM me. I'll include this layout in the next LiveGold update but wanted you to have it now and play with it.

Attachments

• FM3-AustinBuddy_Fw5.03-system+OMG9.syx
    192.6 KB · Views: 7
  • July2022_AustinBuddy_FM3_OMG9_all-layouts.fclayout
    84.8 KB · Views: 9
As someone that struggles to get good guitar tones and has very little knowledges of how all the switching and buttons work, half the value I get out of my FM3 is from you and this pack.

its all possible because of Fractal, of course, but I don’t know if I’d even love it if I just had factory presets and my own capabilities. Thank you so much.

Hey guys! The FM9's public beta 3.00 firmware is now released by FAS. Your patience is waiting for the firmware up date is now rewarded!

Your FM9 LiveGold presets found in the download zip file-- "June2022_Full_Update_AllBanks_LiveGold" under the FM9 folder should work on this new firmware (they won't appear empty anymore if you tried to load them before).

Reminder, the zip folder will say they are for 2.03b firmware, but all the presets for FM9 will work fine on 3.00 public beta.

Go here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm9-firmware-version-3-00-public-beta-1.185298/

Also, you'll need to update your FM9-editor as well to use the firmware.

Use Fractal Bot to load the new firmware and 2.03b LiveGold presets. Then start/ use the new editor. Make sure the FM9 editor is not open when you use Fractal Bot.

Enjoy!

Here is a temporary beta FM9 foot-switch layout file I did. I may still tweak this further for the next zip file update, there is none in there right now. I had to choose between Comp1 and Drive 1 for space reasons, so picked Drive1. But you can use the empty Per-Preset for anything you need to customize for your own preset(s) (layout 7 on FM9).

Attachments

• July2022_FM9fw3_all-layouts_20220716_223417.fclayout
    85.1 KB · Views: 3
I've been playing around firmware 20.02 as well as FM9 3.00 public beta today. Mostly Marshalls.

I'm finding with my FRFRs loud (both a pair of Atomic NEO CLRs, and Mission 2x12 Gemini), I am really liking (used not to like this!) using the Amp block's speaker page SPEAKER COMPRESS, SPEAKER DRIVE, AND SPEAKER THUMP.

Those all default to ZERO in the current TonePacks. Set like that it makes the feel a little immediate and arguably stiffer. The new changes to firmware Cliff made negate the need to leave at zero ( I used to not like the old speaker compression).

I'm finding I like these settings with the Marshall style amps in LiveGold:

SPEAKER DRIVE = 2.0 (firmware will default to 2.0 for most new amp block)

SPEAKER COMPRESS = 2.0 (firmware will default to 1.0 or maybe more)

SPEAKER THUMP = The new default of 2.5 seems good, but if things are bassy, lower it.

The above settings add some compression - so the sound will be a little less loud than when all are set to zero, but you can notch up the amp block by just a slight extra +1 db (no more) if you need to.

The above settings on Speaker page smooths out the tone, it's less stiff feeling and a little less sharp sounding (in a good way).

I'll probably go with the above settings as new defaults in the next update, at least for the Marshalls. It may different for Class A or Fender or other amps, but for the Marshall styles it works great in my testing so far.

Cheers!

I've been playing around firmware 3.00 public beta today. Mostly Marshalls.

I'm finding with my FRFRs loud (both a pair of Atomic NEO CLRs, and Mission 2x12 Gemini), I am really liking (used not to like this!) using the Amp block's speaker page SPEAKER COMPRESS, SPEAKER DRIVE, AND SPEAKER THUMP.

Those all default to ZERO in the current TonePacks. Set like that it makes the feel a little immediate and arguably stiffer. The new changes to firmware Cliff made negate the need to leave at zero ( I used to not like the old speaker compression).

SPEAKER THUMP = The new default of 2.5 seems good, but if things are bassy, lower it.

The above settings add some compression - so the sound will be a little less loud than when all are set to zero, but you can notch up the amp block by just a slight extra +1 db (no more) if you need to.

The above settings on Speaker page smooths out the tone, it's less stiff feeling and a little less sharp sounding (in a good way).

I'll probably go with the above settings as new defaults in the next update, at least for the Marshalls. It may different for Class A or Fender or other amps, but for the Marshall styles it works great in my testing so far.

Cheers!

I've been playing around firmware 20.02 as well as FM9 3.00 public beta today. Mostly Marshalls.

Cheers!
Great info, @austinbuddy! And yes, the new speaker stuff does kick things up a notch.

Back
Top Bottom