Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy 1000+ LIVEGOLD TonePack for Cygnus X2

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
Like this.

I see a vox and Marshall cab in his backline and mostly Les Paul’s on songs. Great tone

Off hand, I would blend the1959 SLP treble model with Greenbacks (M160 factory legacy cab) and amp Mids set high at 8 together with a cranked Hot Vox TB amp model, followed by a compressor set to act like a fast limiter for this kind of tone. The marshall gives you the mids and punch and the Vox gives the chime and fizz around that. Give that a whirl.

I think the Clang scene also says Young Brothers. It’s great.

AB: any thoughts on firmware 5 beta? Safe to install if I rely on Live Gold or should I hold off for an update?

@austinbuddy thoughts on FW 19? Do you think it requires any tweaks, especially to non MV amps ?
Just loading today and will try over weekend. I'm guessing it's fine as is, since no amp reset is called for in the release notes. It will be easy for me to put out a fw 19 download zip file just for Axe-Fx III on this, I'll check the Dr. Z and 6160 per release notes before I do.

Okay everyone, firmware 5.0 is out now, called Cygnus X2. You do not have to reset the amp blocks for this new firmware.

Here's what you need to know so far:

Read the firmware release notes!!!

For the newer users, this first part will help. Pros can skip to below.

1. Before you update to FM3 firmware, always back up your entire FM3's banks and global settings file using FractalBot.

It's a really good idea save your various firmware edition backs up to separate folders marked with the firmware the presets were saved on.

So for example, if you have firmware 4.01 loaded now, create a folder on your computer called something like "FM3 fw 4.01 Bank Backups". This way you can't get confused adn load old saved presets under the wrong firmwares.

(It's also a really good idea to SAVE the 4.10 firmware file itself and your global settings file somewhere as well. That way if you aren't happy after an update, you can revert back to things just like the where).

2. Remember, if you load up a new firmware then SAVE a preset under that firmware, and decide to revert back to a prior firmware, the lower numbered firmwares cannot see that preset any more -- it will appear as "empty" in your preset list if you revert back. It is however still there and if you load the firmware you saved it under it will reappear.

3. After you load a new firmware, you usually also have to update the editor as well. If you don't things can appear screwy.

5. You might need to refresh the editor settings. The editor usually this does this automatically when you restart the editor. But in case it doesn't or things seem screwy, go the editor pull-down menu called SETTINGS. Then click the third choice "Refresh after Firmware." layback and wait.

6. Also, sometimes after a new firmware, you need to refresh your preset names. You can do this simply by exiting the editor and restarting it, or using the Preset picker and in the upper right part of the dialogue box, click the circular two arrows button. See the blue here:

Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 1.32.37 PM.png

7. Also, never try to run FractalBot while the editor is open/connected, and vice versa. Your FM3 can't talk to two software programs at the same time.

Okay, now on to LiveGold/TonePack stuff for this update.

I'm going to poke around some more and you should too, but this firmware update does NOT require an amp block reset. So all of your amp tones are intact. If you don't like the sound of firmware 5 compared to firmware 4.01 or earlier just go back.

If a LiveGold preset uses some of the pedal compressors, the tube type, JFET and Dynacomp or the optical, then you may have to adjust the threshold settings or other compressor settings manually yourself to update. Less than 10% of the presets use a compressor, almsot always a clean sound. Try changing the threshold level first. For example, the pedal compressor types default now to -60, try -45 to start.

The Studio FB1 compressor I often like to use is not affected by the firmware update.

This update adds a new amp "FAS Buttery" and someday that will be added in if I can find a slot for it - everything is packed pretty tight as ya know in these three banks!

The Blackglass drive many bass players like has been updated/changed again, and you may need to manually fix that if you use it.

My update priorities -- I am going to have to update the 200+ Bass Tonepack and probably Brit Rock, because of all the compressor changes that really do change things, and also the Blackglass drive change - those two TonePacks will be my priority to update this spring. In Fact Scott and I already started on the bass Tonepack.

I'll be tackling those in March-April-May. Should go quickly once I get into it, but I travel a good bit for my day job work over the next 12 weeks away from the studio.

But most of the tones in LiveGold should be fine under the firmware.

If something seems very off to you under the new firmware other than what I flagged above, please report it here or email me at heybuddy @ austinbuddy.com. As you know, I can't physically audition all 3000 AustinBuddy Tonepack presets scenes right after a firmware comes out, so ya'll's ears in spotting any major issues is really tremendously helpful. Muchas Graicas!

Hi everyone:

Just a heads up, starting at 11AM CST May 4th (Wednesday) and for up to 48 hours/May 6th, my website austinbuddy.com will be down for annual maintenance.

During that time the website cannot accept new orders and you will not be able to access your account or downloads.

I'll post here when it is back up and running. It may be down less than 48 hours (probably) but we have to test it. There should be a message that appears on the website while it's down.

Thanks!

Hi everyone:

Just a heads up, starting at 11AM CST May 4th (Wednesday) and for up to 48 hours/May 6th, my website austinbuddy.com will be down for annual maintenance.

During that time the website cannot accept new orders and you will not be able to access your account or downloads.

I'll post here when it is back up and running. It may be down less than 48 hours (probably) but we have to test it. There should be a message that appears on the website while it's down.

Thanks!

Hi everyone:

Thanks!
Bummer. That's literally the window in which I've discovered your tone pack and have time to try some of the sounds before my gigs this weekend. Next week, then! :p

AustinBuddy.com website is up - and running much faster now! Saw an order go through.

Customers should be able to login to access your account and "My Downloads."

Hi Gang:

I'm starting to update LiveGold for firmware beta 20 for the Axe-FX III. Hoping to have everything updated/done before the July 4th weekend for the III, if not before, but we'll see/will keep you posted.

Then we have to see if the FM9 and the FM3 get the new firmware changes found in firmware 20 beta on the III, before I can release everything together.

Honestly, on the Axe-FX III today, so far I've found the presets saved under firmware 17 sound great just as they are under the new firmware. So you aren't missing anything if you are using the firmware 17 LiveGold with the new 20 beta firmware probably. Which is great!

If you like your amp to feel a little less stiff and responsive, try the new speaker compression to set to about 2 or 3, instead of my usual default value of none/zero.

Raising speaker comp will change the feel under your fingers and your attack will be less immediate on the strings.

Unless you like it super soft, I'd suggest don't go for more than a visible reading of about -1db of added speaker compression, BUT, if you do, you may need raise the amp LEVEL a little compensate.

I'll keep ya'll posted.

Back
Top Bottom