Axe-Fx III as your main audio interface

monkeymanx

Inspired
I was wondering if anybody else is having luck with this. I was thinking of just buying a decent microphone pre amp and using the Axe as my main recording device. I have a Presonus Quantum 2 right not but no longer need low low low latency. I had it before to trigger VSTi drums from my eDrums but ever since I got the Mimic Pro I just use the sounds in that for monitoring purposes. Right now I will at least record via USB for guitar and bass via the Axe.

Main reason I'm looking too is that the Presonus doesn't have direct monitoring so that has to go. Didn't matter before when I was just using VST stuff but now that I'm using out board stuff I want to have the ability to direct monitor my out board gear.

I use it as an interface, as I record from it via usb. The only thing I record though is my guitar so I dont use it as an interface for more advanced IO.

Sure, it can be done. If you're ok with always running at 48KHz, and don't need the input choices of a general purpose audio interface, it will work fine. In fact, it's preferable to record direct from the AxeFX to avoid conversions and excess latency. Audio interfaces can also be useful as a mixer, routing different sources to different destinations, but you can do that with an analog mixer if the need arises.

But it's not really an either/or. You can record direct from your AxeFX and use the Presonus only when you need it. On MacOS you can aggregate those two devices into a single virtual device so no switching or recabling is necessary if you need to use one or the other.

If I'm tracking guitars I use the III as my interface - easy to cut a simultaneous DI and easy to setup reamping. I also have mine hooked up to my Apollo Twin via SPDIF for doing tutorials/lessons.

I use it as both main interface for guitars and bass
mbox2 for any non essential /non instrument intensive /mixing work

But also if I want to make sure it’s super high quality I only will use axe but it hasn’t happened where I’m tracking real CD worthy work just yet, only a month or so with her but I’ll let u know soon

I use an Apollo Quad and Adams A7x monitors. I run my Axe via SPDIF and use the UAD Console software for monitoring. Pure heaven. Sometimes if I want to capture an idea only I'll fire up the Axe only and use it's internal audio. With it set up as an aggregate device you can use both at the same time. Best of all worlds.

I use an Apollo Quad and Adams A7x monitors. I run my Axe via SPDIF and use the UAD Console software for monitoring. Pure heaven. Sometimes if I want to capture an idea only I'll fire up the Axe only and use it's internal audio. With it set up as an aggregate device you can use both at the same time. Best of all worlds.
exactly this, except for the a7s and I just upgraded to Apollo x8, which gives you much more DSP in the Console....:D

Reactions: mwd
which gives you much more DSP in the Console....:D
I keep a Satellite quad on top of my Apollo for a bit more DSP but more so if I want to use powered plugs and not the audio interface. Some arrangement and MIDI work doesn't need monitors or even headphones. Computer speakers work fine and I avoid 2 dozen error messages when loading...lol.

Windows 10 unfortunately doesn't have the aggregate device setting without using one of the universal drivers that don't work so well. I guess I could always just do all the guitar work via USB with the Axe and then switch over to the Presonus for everything else. The presonus not having direct monitoring sucks but it isn't that big of a deal I suppose.

I like the idea of recording the processed guitar sound but also capturing the DI in case I want to change up the sound later on so USB via the Axe looks like the way to go for this and then just switch out as needed for capturing vocals and mixing.

Back
Top Bottom