Axe-FX III as audio interface

AminorZmajor

Experienced
We all know the Axe-FX III can be the hub of your audio interface which is a great thing but I am sure like me many of us already have an audio interface. Correct me if I am wrong...... We can plug the Axe-FX III in via USB and take advantage of the re-eamping and 8x8 ins/outs etc. in addition to keeping our audio interface intact and operational for what it currently does. Basically, no changes needed with the additional advantages that the AfxIIII provides.

With Win machines, you can have multiple audio interfaces. I have 3 connected to my system right now. I can pick them independently in my DAW - although managing them, routing inputs/outputs, dealing with latency, etc. can get confusing. If you want to use the AFX, you just select it as the input and/or output in your DAW. If you are asking if you can use your existing audio interface as your input and use the Axe as an output effects/processor, my guess is you can with the right routing, but I've never tried it, so I could be wrong. You also may end up with unexpected latency.

RR

Cool. Thanks. I think once I get the Axe III I will have a better handle on how it will integrate with my current system. Can't wait to get it up and running.

Is the AXE III actually supposed to perform aswell as a dedicated interface this time?
I know the sample rate is locked. Just so happens to be the sample rate i’ve Always used but many of us might have tried the AXE II and decided it probably wasn’t best to be used as a dedicated interface.

I was using the AXE II as a dedicated interface and was happy with the results. I’m sure with the III it will be even more flexible and improved. I was just mainly using it to record direct and was using my computer’s speakers for other tasks, so it was limited in comparison to how my Focusrite was being used before that.

X-scuze me, so wondering will the Axe-III allow me to DI record via USB into my windows DAW? if so will I be able to play back like a audio card to?

X-scuze me, so wondering will the Axe-III allow me to DI record via USB into my windows DAW? if so will I be able to play back like a audio card to?
Yes. The Axe-Fx II can also do this.

If you're using a Windows PC and ASIO drivers, you can only use 1 audio interface at a time, so you can't use one interface for Inputs and another for outputs. You can switch to the Audio interface you want to use at anytime in your DAW. With some DAW's you will need to close and re-open the DAW after making the change.

The Axe-Fx III doesn't have the option to use phantom power with the XLR Inputs, so you won't be able to use it to record with a condenser microphone but if you have a preamp or mixer that has phantom power, you can connect it to the Axe-Fx III and record with it that way.

I'm planning on using the Axe-Fx III for recording all dry and reamped guitar and bass and then switching to my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 to record vocals with a condenser microphone.

I downloaded asio4all but it looks like its stuck at 44 instead of 48. I saw that there is a way to convert to 48 but is there a asio4all that defaults to 48?
It's not stuck at 44.1 KHz, I think it will be whatever you set it to in your daw, I've used cubase set at several sample rates with no problem.

The option you see is just to upsample in case it is 44.1

It's not stuck at 44.1 KHz, I think it will be whatever you set it to in your daw, I've used cubase set at several sample rates with no problem.

The option you see is just to upsample in case it is 44.1
So if my DAW is set to 48 even if its showing asio4all as 44.1 KHZ its functioning as 48 to match my DAW?

So if my DAW is set to 48 even if its showing asio4all as 44.1 KHZ its functioning as 48 to match my DAW?
Where does it show 44.1 KHz?
If you hover with your mouse over the asio4all icon in the status bar it will show the actual sample rate. As you can see in the pic it shows the correct sample rate for the project I opened in cubase (96000 Hz).

If it shows 44.khz even there the there's something wrong. In case check that your daw and your interface are both set at the correct sample rate.

Edit: Sorry I forgot to attach the picture :D

Attachments

• PicsArt_03-13-09.19.35.jpg
    PicsArt_03-13-09.19.35.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Where does it show 44.1 KHz?
If you hover with your mouse over the asio4all icon in the status bar it will show the actual sample rate. As you can see in the pic it shows the correct sample rate for the project I opened in cubase (96000 Hz).

If it shows 44.khz even there the there's something wrong. In case check that your daw and your interface are both set at the correct sample rate.

Edit: Sorry I forgot to attach the picture :D

I use studio one and on the page were you can select your audio driver it shows my Axe FX @ 48 khz, then my asio4all @ 44.4 khz. I've never really looked at it from at the location in your screenshot though. When I get home I'll have to look there and maybe it will lead to some answers! I really appreciate the help and info!

Back
Top Bottom