Axe-FX III as a UAD plugin?

Think about it. On one hand you have the FM9 with its robust feature set, and on the other, for half the price you have the UA UAFX/FAS dual rec pedal with one amp, a couple cabs, zero programmability, no midi and a few knobs to tweak. Throw that out to the typical YouTube influencers and you have a GAME CHANGER.
Right ?! There is so much hype around those UAD pedals, everybody YouTubing and dropping it into their pedal boards - Yeah ok, we have all this and much more in an FM3, just that fractal doesn't have the marketing budget of UAD.

Also Softube and Brainworx have been actively promoting their own native versions of UAD plugins and not promoting the UAD versions. You probably won't see many new third party UAD plugins.

Right ?! There is so much hype around those UAD pedals, everybody YouTubing and dropping it into their pedal boards - Yeah ok, we have all this and much more in an FM3, just that fractal doesn't have the marketing budget of UAD.
One way to get me to not buy something is to have 15 targeted YouTube reviews within 24 hours of each other all telling me how bad I need this new product. Especially when it’s from channels of the top .01% of the talent pool that I know damn well can make a can of tuna sound good. Do they ever play ANYTHING that sounds like shit? Of course not. I understand they have to make a living too, but I know before I even click on it that the product sounds amazing and they’re going to tell me how awesome it is. Let the hype die down and pick it up 20% cheaper in 6 months.

main reason is due to piracy ,granted they had a native plugin back in axe fx 2 days, so it can be done, but, ALL the ilok/ dongle anti piracy sticks have been cracked, so Reason, Cubase, pro tools, auto tune, neural dsp, and others, all cracked and pirated, though all the UAD plugins are still unpirated, so frankly that would be the only option because it relies on hardware to run the plugiin vs native software that runs on the cpu and uses a usb stick

A device that only edits through bluetooth. What do you do during a gig when your phone happened to die?
Who said anything about "only"? You remember to charge your phone or bring a spare phone and bring a USB cable in case you don't want to rely on wireless, just like you bring backups for other gear.

To me future modelers should better support controlling them with a wider range of gear, whether it's a laptop/tablet/phone or MIDI knob controllers, MIDI foot controllers and so on. Every manufacturer's unit for this gen has deficiencies in this regard with only foot/expression control really covered.

One way to get me to not buy something is to have 15 targeted YouTube reviews within 24 hours of each other all telling me how bad I need this new product. Especially when it’s from channels of the top .01% of the talent pool that I know damn well can make a can of tuna sound good. Do they ever play ANYTHING that sounds like shit? Of course not. I understand they have to make a living too, but I know before I even click on it that the product sounds amazing and they’re going to tell me how awesome it is. Let the hype die down and pick it up 20% cheaper in 6 months.
That's marketing for you. A company tells "you can't put out your demo of the unit until X date" so you end up with a sudden onslaught of all channels (without knowledge of each other) publishing their videos at the same time. But simultaneously it keeps things fair as these people have the time to do a good demo rather than try to be the first to put out a video as that will often be the video that gets most views and rises to the top of search results.

I bought into the UAD ecosystem and have around $5500 of their plugins sitting in a dead silverface Apollo Quad. I had a major shock when I found out that you could only load a couple plugs at a time and eventually stopped using them altogether once I switched to Slate. The Quad is boxed up in storage, but maybe now with UA Connect I can get some actual use of the plugins, altho they are converting them at a snail's pace.

Now I use a Presonus 1810C that actually sounds better. The converters in the Apollo were mediocre.

My guess is Fractal studied L6’s mistake when they made Helix into a VST. Helix Native and about every other plugin can be pirated pretty easy. Maybe it’s possible if Fractal somehow did it as a subscription that could only be access on their website? But honestly, it could possibly be a good business decision to just abandon hardware and do a plugin due to supply chain issues, etc.
Mistake?

Yeah, anyone with internet connection can pirate HX Native and get it for free. Maybe that doesn’t bother L6, but that’s probably why Fractal hasn’t made an Axe Fx plugin.
Yeah I don't buy that. I don't think it bothers L6 as they have probably sold boatloads of the VST which bled over to some hardware sales. Or the VST sale was a result of the discount via the original hardware sale.

I haven't been able to warm up to the guitar plug in world.
I've tried a bunch of the Neural ones, Mikko, Bias, Guitar Rig, TH-U....and no matter what interface of mine that I use, I battle with latency or crackles when you 'add too much' to a preset. So now what? Upgrade my (relatively new) laptop? Indulge and get a killer Mac?

I always find myself thinking - if guitar plug ins were around first, and I had these same struggles with the hardware end, I'd be on a forum for plug ins saying - "I wish someone would make a dedicated piece of hardware to run these plug ins with low latency and no audio glitches".....well we already have it in our Fractal units. I think what we have now is perfect. FM3 on a desktop - no more bulky than my laptop...or a midi controller.

I haven't been able to warm up to the guitar plug in world.
I've tried a bunch of the Neural ones, Mikko, Bias, Guitar Rig, TH-U....and no matter what interface of mine that I use, I battle with latency or crackles when you 'add too much' to a preset. So now what? Upgrade my (relatively new) laptop? Indulge and get a killer Mac?

I always find myself thinking - if guitar plug ins were around first, and I had these same struggles with the hardware end, I'd be on a forum for plug ins saying - "I wish someone would make a dedicated piece of hardware to run these plug ins with low latency and no audio glitches".....well we already have it in our Fractal units. I think what we have now is perfect. FM3 on a desktop - no more bulky than my laptop...or a midi controller.
...and for me; this. No matter what device I am using. Dedicated device>>>>>>>>>>plugin and whatever interface turd I am using at the moment.

Who said anything about "only"? You remember to charge your phone or bring a spare phone and bring a USB cable in case you don't want to rely on wireless, just like you bring backups for other gear.

To me future modelers should better support controlling them with a wider range of gear, whether it's a laptop/tablet/phone or MIDI knob controllers, MIDI foot controllers and so on. Every manufacturer's unit for this gen has deficiencies in this regard with only foot/expression control really covered.
Ah okay gotcha. You were saying you wanted it to be less bulky. As in take away all the knobs and everything and replace it with bluetooth was what I thought you meant. Nothing wrong of course with adding the option to edit the axe on our phones I suppose.

...and for me; this. No matter what device I am using. Dedicated device>>>>>>>>>>plugin and whatever interface turd I am using at the moment.
Sometimes you learn this the hard way unfortunately. I have so many keyboard related plugins I can't be bothered to even use much anymore. If I just bought a hardware keyboard I probably would be playing keyboard almost as much as guitar.

Reactions: JTI
Back
Top Bottom