• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Axe-Fx III and MFC-101 Mark 1

strumbringer

Inspired
Hi all,

Got my Axe-FX this week, and it has a FASLINK port, but my MFC-101 only has an ethernet port. I got the FAS adapter, but it looks like I need a male-to-male XLR cable to connect it.

Before I go deeper down the rabbit hole, was hoping someone can tell me if I'm on the right path :)

Thanks in advance!

shireeshb

New here
Hi all,

Got my Axe-FX this week, and it has a FASLINK port, but my MFC-101 only has an ethernet port. I got the FAS adapter, but it looks like I need a male-to-male XLR cable to connect it.

Before I go deeper down the rabbit hole, was hoping someone can tell me if I'm on the right path :)

Thanks in advance!
The Faslink on the III is not the same as on the II. You’ll need to talk to the III over MIDI. If the mark I doesn’t have a MIDI out, you’re out of luck.

chris

Legend!
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
check out this link: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/hate-to-ask-this-as-i-think-its-probably-been-answered-but.139066/unread

it's the (previously) latest thread regarding setting up the MFC with the Axe3. also look at the links within that thread.

keep in mind the MFC design is about 7 years old now. the Axe3 design is forward-thinking, and therefore must use different protocols and technology instead of something from the past.

strumbringer

Inspired
Thanks Chris, will do.

Protocols don't require a connector change, though (I work in technology). Ethernet cables can transfer up a gigabit per second (Cat5) and up to 10 gigabits per second (Cat6). There is no need for a different connector for performance or data size reasons.

chris

Legend!
Thanks Chris, will do.

Protocols don't require a connector change, though (I work in technology). Ethernet cables can transfer up a gigabit per second (Cat5) and up to 10 gigabits per second (Cat6). There is no need for a different connector for performance or data size reasons.
ethernet connections for music gear and constant tear-down/setup have proven to not be robust enough. the tiny pins on the jacks and the cables can be bent so easily.

FAS created the FASlink connection using a standard XLR cable, which is proven the most robust and reliable cable for live audio for years and years. this was implemented on later versions of the MFC and Axe-Fx II.

it's not about changing protocols/connectors just to change them, but to provide reliable connections for professional musicians, show after show.

Top Bottom