Axe-Fx III and Matrix GT800FX Low Volume

Fletch

I have my Axe-Fx III hooked up to a Matrix GT800FX which is then connected to a Mesa 2x12 cab. I have to turn the volume on the Matrix to about 70% of max with the Axe Fx volume set to a little more than 50% in order for it to have reasonable volume. I can turn the Matrix to 90% and increase the Axe Fx to 75% and it is loud -- but not what I would expect. I have a Mesa Boogie Five 35 and that seems louder! I attached a picture of how I have it hooked up. But also for reference, here are the connections:

Guitar ----> [ AXE FX III ] -- Stereo L&R Out from FX to Input A&B on Matrix Amp --> [ Matrix GT800FX ] --- Matrix Output A to 8 ohm Input of Mesa 2 x 12 ---> [ MESA ]
Untitled.png

p3.jpg

Sincerely appreciate the help!

Also, Matrix in mono mode is louder than stereo. IMHO, it makes no sense to run a 4x12 in stereo.

Stupid story time. I used two 1x12 cabinets for years. Bought a stereo 4x12 cabinet and hooked it up with the same speaker cables I had been using. The 4x12 just had no volume. Turns out checking my speaker cables I had one wired wrong tip to sleeve and it was causing cancelation. Never noticed it on the 1x12's but it sucked the wind right out of that 4x12.

I agree on running the Matrix in mono. Page 12 of the manual says run mono at 8 or 16 ohms from the center X speaker output jack. Always nice to have headroom.

I have my Axe-Fx III hooked up to a Matrix GT800FX which is then connected to a Mesa 2x12 cab.
Sincerely appreciate the help!

I know it may be a dumb question, but did you modify your Mesa 2 x 12 to be stereo?
If not this could be the volume issue. If you want to make it stereo, unscrew and pull out the plate, and you will see a bare wire connecting the 2 jacks. Cut it right in the middle and slightly bend it out of the way. Instant stereo. Just solder the wires back together, when you want to go back to mono.

Also, Matrix in mono mode is louder than stereo. IMHO, it makes no sense to run a 4x12 in stereo.
I run my 4x12 in stereo and it sounds superb. Makes total sense to me, but like you stated, it's purely opinion based, and depends on the individual, and their needs. I'd never steer anyone away from trying either option for themselves. 👍

I just wanted to express my thanks to everyone. You're suggestions solved my problems. Just for reference for others, here is what I did:

1. Setup > I/O > Out 1 > set to +4 (thanks Yek!)
2. I set it to mono at 8 ohms from the center X speaker output jack, referencing Pg 12 of the manual (Thanks Tom!)

Back
Top Bottom