Axe-Fx III and Logic - routing question

Joe Ivory

Folks,

Got my first Fractal product and holy mackerel is it incredible.

I'm setting it up to work with Logic Pro X and I'm trying to route the audio in a particular way.

I'd like to only hear the signal from the Axe III when I record-enable a track. At the moment, I'm using Input and Output 1, so the signal is always present, whether I'm recording or not.

Being a noob, I'm struggling to figure this out. Any help would be awesome.

Cheers,

J

Thanks a million for getting back to me, man.

Yes, the III is now the only interface. I had a Kemper through a Focusrite before and was hoping to just use the III in the same way.

Tried those settings, but it still seems to be happening. I'm sure it can be done, but I'm struggling to know where to start!

Cheers,

J

Joe, what Focusrite unit do you have and how is it connected?

I have the same environment (Axe FX III -> Focusrite Clarett8Pre -> Logic Pro X) and I only hear the Axe FX in Logic when record is enabled on the tracks.

I'm using the digital connections (SPDIF) from my Axe FX III to my Focusrite. In Logic Pro X I have the audio device set to my Focusrite, not the Axe FXIII.

Are you able to connect it the same way? Let me know, as I just went through this a week or two ago so I might remember the other settings I had to change.

Really sorry - I was a bit unclear in my response. I used to have a Kemper and Focusrite, but I want to shift entirely to the Axe FX 3 - using it as the ONLY I/O interface.

I was hoping to get rid of the Focusrite completely.

I'd like to just have the signal from the Axe FX audible when a track is record enabled in Logic, rather than being able to hear the signal all the time.

I pretty much only play through Logic (very rarely live) so my default use would be playing and recording through Logic. But because the Axe FX output 1 mixes the output from Logic with the output of the DAW, it means there's always noise from the Axe FX spilling out of the monitors.

As I say, I'm a total noob and this maybe so blindingly obvious that it's eventually a bit embarrassing but I'm pretty lost.

I'm wondering if it's something to do with the way I hook up my monitors to the Axe, or perhaps the output levels in the USB bit of the Audio Set-Up page? Don't know. Nothing seems to be helping!

Again, massive thanks for responding...

J

Really sorry - I was a bit unclear in my response. I used to have a Kemper and Focusrite, but I want to shift entirely to the Axe FX 3 - using it as the ONLY I/O interface.

I was hoping to get rid of the Focusrite completely.

I'd like to just have the signal from the Axe FX audible when a track is record enabled in Logic, rather than being able to hear the signal all the time.

I pretty much only play through Logic (very rarely live) so my default use would be playing and recording through Logic. But because the Axe FX output 1 mixes the output from Logic with the output of the DAW, it means there's always noise from the Axe FX spilling out of the monitors.

As I say, I'm a total noob and this maybe so blindingly obvious that it's eventually a bit embarrassing but I'm pretty lost.

I'm wondering if it's something to do with the way I hook up my monitors to the Axe, or perhaps the output levels in the USB bit of the Audio Set-Up page? Don't know. Nothing seems to be helping!

Again, massive thanks for responding...

J

If your monitors are connected to the Axe Out1 and your patch routes the guitar there too, you will always hear it.

You'll need to configure things so you have the DAW and your guitar going to different outputs. Then the DAW output will be what you hear on your monitors.

For live, you'll probably want your guitar going to output 1, so maybe use output 2 as your DAW output and connect your monitors to output 2 on the back.

If your monitors are connected to the Axe Out1 and your patch routes the guitar there too, you will always hear it.

You'll need to configure things so you have the DAW and your guitar going to different outputs. Then the DAW output will be what you hear on your monitors.

For live, you'll probably want your guitar going to output 1, so maybe use output 2 as your DAW output and connect your monitors to output 2 on the back.
THIS.

Thanks so much for looking into this. What you've suggested makes perfect sense but I just can't figure out how to do it.

The I/O page of the Set Up menu doesn't seem to give me the option. Of course, this could be down to the fact that I'm a moron.

I just can't figure out how to make my guitar go to output 1 and my DAW go to output 2.

Never has a noob felt so nooby.

J

Thanks so much for looking into this. What you've suggested makes perfect sense but I just can't figure out how to do it.

The I/O page of the Set Up menu doesn't seem to give me the option. Of course, this could be down to the fact that I'm a moron.

I just can't figure out how to make my guitar go to output 1 and my DAW go to output 2.

Never has a noob felt so nooby.

J
Logic -> Preferences -> Audio -> I/O Assignments -> Output

Set "Stereo Out" to Axe Output 2 (should be Output 3/4?)

Really sorry, man. I'm not sure about that. I use a Presonus HP4 headphone amp between my monitors and the Axe, with headphones out of that, so I'm just getting the full mix from Logic.

Back
Top Bottom