Axe-Fx III and iOS devices

I get that the FC isn’t midi, all the midi would be done from the AXE but are you saying the midi messages can’t get to and from the AXE over the FAS link. I understand that there is no programming midi directly from the FC, for that matter nothing is progammed from the FC it’s all done on the AXE the FC is just a conduit with footswitches.
The FASlink goes between FC and Axe Fx. There is no midi to send over FASlink because the FC is not midi.

Outbound midi from the Axe Fx does not go over USB, only the midi DIN ports on the back.

The FAS link is a proprietary language that goes beyond what midi can do. You can get midi to & from the Axe with a midi controller but not with an FC.

I see so ultimately there's no way to control anything midi from the footswitches on the FC. I suppose with the FM3 I could control a midi device from the on board switches but not from switches from say an attached FC6 since the onboard switches aren't attached via FAS link. This being the case, what is the purpose of the usb input on the FC? Solely for firmware updates?

And if I wanted to control Axe FX 3 via bandhelper on my iPad I'd have to plug from my iPad which is at the front of the stage on my mic stand directly into the Axe fx 3 which would be at the back of the stage.
This is disappointing, it appears I'll have to stick with the Helix. I was really excited about switching over to fractal. Tears are falling.

I see so ultimately there's no way to control anything midi from the footswitches on the FC. I suppose with the FM3 I could control a midi device from the on board switches but not from switches from say an attached FC6 since the onboard switches aren't attached via FAS link. This being the case, what is the purpose of the usb input on the FC? Solely for firmware updates?
You can control other midi devices through the Axe with the scene midi block, just not directly with the FCs. This would also be true of an FM3 with an FC6 connected to it. http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Scene_MIDI_block
Page 132 of the Axe manual goes into more detail about what you can do with the scene midi block.

Last edited:
I think it's there's no way to send midi to my iPad via usb I'm out of luck for what I want to do, unless I want to go back to some elaborate wiring and devices.

This oversight is a real shame. If there's an advantage to not allowing 2 way midi communication over usb, I can't think of it.

Considering the Axe FX 3 is the most powerful guitar processor on the planet, it appears there really hasn't been much thought given to what sort of midi needs might arise for users. Either that, or the cost of allowing full midi over usb and incorporating the FC as a midi conduit drive the price of the Axe up to high.

Forgive my mini rant I'm just extremely disheartened right now, as I said I really wanted to switch over to the Axe.

You can use a Bluetooth midi interface, that way you don’t need a usb cable from your ipad. I do that and control my Program Change with OnSong application from the iPad to the Axe wirelessly. And use my FC6 in the meantime. The Bluetooth midi interface will use your Axe midi ports, if you need to control your Helicon from the axe, you will need a merger. But you could also use a second Bluetooth interface for the Helicon and control it with the iPad.

You can set up 6 control switches on the FC, which can send any midi commands you wanted via the Axe midi out port

You simply need an adapter which allows for a standard midi I/O for your iPad. There are tons of them on the market.

Works fantastic with the only limitation being 6 is to few! So much cool stuff I’d like to control via my FC like my DAW transports, synths, lighting etc. I’d love a ton of CS’s

I used to do all that when I was using a Roland device as with many Roland devices it wasn't class compliant. But I really don't want to go back to anything that complicated.

Right now, I plug a usb Cable from my iPad directly into Helix. A 6 foot usb Cable can cover the distance from my iPad on my mic stand to the helix on the floor in front of me. I have pedal snake so I run stereo cables from my helix to the mixer and midi out/thru (same port) from the helix to my voice live rack which sits right above the mixer in the same rack. I can send midi messages back and forth over usb from helix to iPad and from either the iPad to the voice live (through the helix) or straight from the helix to the voice live. It's just 2 simple cable connections and I have all that functionality and control.

Naturally I thought I'd helix can do this is a no-brainer that Axe FX 3 can do it. I stand corrected.

I routed through garage band directly.
I put instrument track, input 1+2, and monitoring on
Then i went to the settings and allowed inter app use
Then i went to input/.output on the instrument IN side and put send to Auria Pro
Then I was able to bus/route the in directly and monitor the out directly to my monitors
So if you wanted to use another DAW, thats a way to do it digitally.
The OP is talking about controlling an app with midi, nothing to do with a DAW or recording.

Here iare various scenarios and what works/doesn’t work:

iPad plugged into FC = No (who knows if they will support this in the future

iPad plugged into Axe-Fx III = Send Midi Only from iPad to AxeFx

MDBT01 plugged into AxeFx = Send:Recieve midi via Bluetooth, except receiving program changes from AxeFx. Something with the Bluetooth module is borked up.

iPad plugged into Axe-Fx III + Bluetooth Midi (MD-BT01) plugged into AxeFx = Send Midi Only from iPad to AxeFx over USB, iPad send/receive midi via Bluetooth from AxeFx... BUT iPad receiving program changes from AxeFx broken. Something with BT adapter.

My workaround...(requires a few extra pieces of gear)
iConnect MIDI 2
Small USB hub

iPad plugged into USB Hub (host port)
Axe Fx MIDI DIN Ports plugged into iConnect
MD-BT01 plugged into iConnect
Axe Fx USB port to USB Hub
iConnect plugged into USB Hub

Now the iPad plugged into Hub can send/receive midi to axe Fx over usb (and audio). Use Fracpad at full speed usb. connect via Bluetooth if needed. When not using iPad, plug computer into same USB hub to use axe-edit / audio. Further... you can plug usb midi controller such as keyboard into the Hub and then control iPad synth apps and route the audio through the axe Fx also.

Sorry for any typos. Types all this out on phone.

Pic of the back of axe Fx rack with iConnect and hub.

5B33D73E-FF20-4BFC-8BBC-A6CB44BF7C89.jpeg

Here iare various scenarios and what works/doesn’t work:

iPad plugged into FC = No (who knows if they will support this in the future

iPad plugged into Axe-Fx III = Send Midi Only from iPad to AxeFx

MDBT01 plugged into AxeFx = Send:Recieve midi via Bluetooth, except receiving program changes from AxeFx. Something with the Bluetooth module is borked up.

iPad plugged into Axe-Fx III + Bluetooth Midi (MD-BT01) plugged into AxeFx = Send Midi Only from iPad to AxeFx over USB, iPad send/receive midi via Bluetooth from AxeFx... BUT iPad receiving program changes from AxeFx broken. Something with BT adapter.

My workaround...(requires a few extra pieces of gear)
iConnect MIDI 2
Small USB hub

iPad plugged into USB Hub (host port)
Axe Fx MIDI DIN Ports plugged into iConnect
MD-BT01 plugged into iConnect
Axe Fx USB port to USB Hub
iConnect plugged into USB Hub

Now the iPad plugged into Hub can send/receive midi to axe Fx over usb (and audio). Use Fracpad at full speed usb. connect via Bluetooth if needed. When not using iPad, plug computer into same USB hub to use axe-edit / audio. Further... you can plug usb midi controller such as keyboard into the Hub and then control iPad synth apps and route the audio through the axe Fx also.

Sorry for any typos. Types all this out on phone.

Pic of the back of axe Fx rack with iConnect and hub.

View attachment 57958
Did you update the MD-bt01 firmware?

This is what the wiki said “Axe-Fx III — Unlike the Axe-Fx II, the Axe-Fx III's USB port operates as a host USB. You can directly connect a smartphone or tablet through USB with the suitable adapter. The III supports only incoming MIDI-over-USB traffic, not outgoing MIDI-over-USB. This means that you can use an USB-connected iPad to send Program Changes to the III, but the iPad won't receive Program Changes from the III.”

Has anyone tried connecting a III to a digital mixer such as a Behringer X-air via USB only. I wonder if the III would pass audio to the mixer over USB.

Yeah. I’m on the latest. Odd thing is, PC’s come through from the Axe Fx occasionally over BT. Just not all the time. I know in a thread a long time ago @yek had posted something similar about losing data with it also.
Ok i don't use basic midi with it but sysex seems to work quite well

Trust me-
I’m reading everything I can before asking-
but I’m not too bright.

I want to mess around in Garage Band via FM3.

I’m starting fresh with a brand new iPad Air 4 that uses USB-C.

I already have an ancient Windows OS laptop connected in the USB-B I/O just for FM3 edit.
No DAW or anything.

Do I want to connect my iPad using the FM3 MIDI I/O-
or do I need the Apple Camera connection kit adapted for the USB-C on the iPad Air so that I can connect to the FM3’s USB-B I/O.

And then I won’t be able to use FM3 edit on the Windows laptop and Garage Band on the iPad Air 4 simultaneously?

Love the idea of a MIDI/BlueTooth setup-
Is that the way to go and done?

Because I’m still hearing this Apple camera connection kit nonsense.

What am I trying do here Tools???

Please make up my mind.
Thx Brothers.

Last edited:
Trust me-
I’m reading everything I can before asking-
but I’m not too bright.

I want to mess around in Garage Band via FM3.

I’m starting fresh with a brand new iPad Air 4 that uses USB-C.
Its sick- get one.

I already have an ancient Windows OS laptop connected in the USB-B I/O just for FM3 edit.

Do I want to connect my iPad using the FM3 MIDI I/O-
or do I need the Apple Camera connection kit adapted for the USB-C on the iPad Air so that I can connect to the FM3’s USB-B I/O.

And then I won’t be able to use FM3 edit on the Windows laptop and Garage Band on the iPad Air 4 simultaneously?

I hear Apple camera connection kit-
Then I hear MIDI ports.

What am I trying do here Tools???

Please make up my mind.
Thx Brothers.
You can only connect the FM3 or Axe Fx to one device at a time with USB.

Midi ports have nothing to do with your question about recording - that's just USB.

I have no experience with USB-C, but straight from the Axe Fx III to the iPad using a USB-B (Fractal side) to lightning camera adapter (iPad side) works fine for me.

For both sending/receiving audio and receiving midi from the iPad (for things like sending tempo or preset changes).

Nice.
Thank you.

I was hoping you would chime in.

OK So-
MIDI over USB has nothing to do with MIDI ports-
Practically self-evident from the title but I still missed that one-

But I heard someone talking about how many pins they needed on a MIDI cable to use GarageBand on iPad-
And then also about doing this via Bluetooth.
So now I’m confused more than normally.

I realize your good with the camera kit connection and that it will work fine that way-
and i appreciate you making that clear.
I will be doing that forthwith.
Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom