Axe-Fx III and iOS devices

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
FYI:

In case you hadn't noticed already, the III supports a direct connection with iOS devices (using Apple's Lightning to USB Camera Adapter). This may be limited to devices running iOS 11, I'm not sure.

This means that you can use apps such as SetListMaker and BandHelper with the III without needing an additional MIDI-to-USB interface, such as the UM-One.

FYI:

In case you hadn't noticed already, the III supports a direct connection with iOS devices (using Apple's Lightning to USB Camera Adapter). This may be limited to devices running iOS 11, I'm not sure.

This means that you can use apps such as SetListMaker and BandHelper with the III without needing an additional MIDI-to-USB interface, such as the UM-One.

Hmmmm...that’s pretty cool. How hard would it be to develop Axe Edit for, say, iPad using that connection?

Sorry to reserect an old thread but I am interested in using Set List Maker to switch presets on the AF3 from an iPad. I see from the specs that the USB Audio in the AF3 is USB 2.0. So does it matter if I buy the Apple lightening to usb camera adaptor for USB 2.0 or 3.0? I’m thinking that it might be worth buying the USB 3.0 for future proofing/ other uses but if it won’t work with the Axe then I’ll stick with the 2.0 version.

Last edited:
I recorded my axe 3 into garage band with the lighting to usb , like unix, had the same one as him
It works but why? U know

Best thingWOULD be Axe edit app!! For iOS omg! That would rule,id actually pay for the app lol (for .99 cents mind u lol jk)

Also if I do do buy a camera usb adaptor which midi cable will I need? Will it be the one that connects tho the USB connector or to the standard 5 pin midi connector? I was because I was reading about midi over USB in the manual and wondered if that applied...

Also if I do do buy a camera usb adaptor which midi cable will I need? Will it be the one that connects tho the USB connector or to the standard 5 pin midi connector? I was because I was reading about midi over USB in the manual and wondered if that applied...
Just a regular USB cable

I’m on the waitlist for FM3 but might just go ahead and get the Axe FX 3. My only concern has to do with this topic but my particular questions are only partially answered here. Currently I’m using a helix. I have dedicated some of the footswitches on the helix to control bandhelper on my ipad. Things like next song, previous song, restart, etc . I also control my voicelive rack from my Helix over midi but that’s straight midi not over usb.

Since for live I would also have to get the FC-12 which fortunately does have a USB input, I need to confirm a few things. First, I’m sure this is the case, but the midi over usb data would be carried to and from FC-12 to the AF3 via the FAS link correct? So I could plug my ipad into the FC-12 USB input and send the midi signal from ipad to FC-12 to AF3 (I have a lightning to printer USB cable). Also I should be able to assign some switches on the FC-12 to send midi messages from the AF3 to my voice live rack. ie turn harmony on and off either momentary or latching.

The only doubt I have is that when I googled this is topic, I came to the wiki page and it said that the AF3 only received midi over usb and didn’t send it. This would mean that I wouldn’t be able to control the ipad from the AF3/FC-12. I’m hoping maybe this was changed in a firmware update and that maybe the wiki page is just outdated. Can anyone answer this question? It would be a deal breaker or maker for me. If I can’t control my ipad from the FC-12 this set up won’t work for me. If I can then would be a much better solution, More footswitches on the FC-12 with far more flexibility and of course the horsepower and quality of the Axe FX 3.

It may seem like a silly thing to be a deal breaker, but ease of setup is important to me and being the singer, some of the other ways I control the ipad is that i have footswitches dedicated to nudging the lyrics on bandhelper forward or backward in the scroll. My current setup works great, I want to be able to maintain that workflow but just get the quality of the Axe FX 3.

You can’t plug the iPad into the FC directly. To do midi out over usb, you have to connect the Axe Fx Dins to something like a iConnect midi. I do what you are describing but Plug iPad into USB hub which hosts the iConnect and Axe Fx. And let’s me do everything over USB. I then added Bluetooth midi to the iConnect. So can use wired or Bluetooth.

You can’t plug the iPad into the FC directly. To do midi out over usb, you have to connect the Axe Fx Dins to something like a iConnect midi. I do what you are describing but Plug iPad into USB hub which hosts the iConnect and Axe Fx. And let’s me do everything over USB. I then added Bluetooth midi to the iConnect. So can use wired or Bluetooth.

OK... I’m trying to understand... I could physically plug the ipad directly because I have a lightning to printer USB cable. You’re saying that won’t work, that it won’t carry midi to or from the ipad to the Axe FX 3 or both? Is that because the midi can’t be transferred from the FC to the Axe FX 3 over the FAS link? OR that there is a problem with the AXE FX 3 itself regarding midi over USB?

This is what the wiki said “Axe-Fx III — Unlike the Axe-Fx II, the Axe-Fx III's USB port operates as a host USB. You can directly connect a smartphone or tablet through USB with the suitable adapter. The III supports only incoming MIDI-over-USB traffic, not outgoing MIDI-over-USB. This means that you can use an USB-connected iPad to send Program Changes to the III, but the iPad won't receive Program Changes from the III.”

So when it says suitable adaptor is that just for the connections ie lightning to the USB? Or does it need something like the irig midi 2 becuase the Axe FX 3 isn’t class compliant? OR it’s only class compliant for incoming midi, but I would need something like the irig midi 2 if I want to send midi in both directions. IF that’s the case, that’s more than i want to get into. I have a bluetooth to control the ipad but is stopped using it when I was able to just plug the ipad directly into the helix and control everything from there. I want less items on the floor to deal with.

Nope, won't work. The FCs are not midi.

I get that the FC isn’t midi, all the midi would be done from the AXE but are you saying the midi messages can’t get to and from the AXE over the FAS link. I understand that there is no programming midi directly from the FC, for that matter nothing is progammed from the FC it’s all done on the AXE the FC is just a conduit with footswitches.

Back
Top Bottom