Axe-Fx III and IEM... 5 Tips & Tricks

We are all set with IEM. But if you play some small places, often the audience in front of the band will have a blast of drums and little of the rest of the bands because PA is further on the sides. I heard that on small videos people share after the concert, that’s why I still bring 2 monitors placed behind me and directed to the audience.

We are all set with IEM. But if you play some small places, often the audience in front of the band will have a blast of drums and little of the rest of the bands because PA is further on the sides. I heard that on small videos people share after the concert, that’s why I still bring 2 monitors placed behind me and directed to the audience.
The solution: We use 2 tops on each side of stage and 2 tops together as wedges on the floor tilted up in front of center stage. This way the total sound is heard all around the front of the stage.
Regarding the rest of our setup, we still use cabs on stage. All our ears go through the mixing consoles through busses, for individual mixes. Nothing is connected to the AXE, and since we don't use backing tracks, we don't need a click track. We also use ambient mics through the in ears to bring in a little of the outside world.

The solution: We use 2 tops on each side of stage and 2 tops together as wedges on the floor tilted up in front of center stage. This way the total sound is heard all around the front of the stage.
Regarding the rest of our setup, we still use cabs on stage. All our ears go through the mixing consoles through busses, for individual mixes. Nothing is connected to the AXE, and since we don't use backing tracks, we don't need a click track. We also use ambient mics through the in ears to bring in a little of the outside world.
What type mics for ambiance and also how many? 1 or 2? Where do you place these? What do you do with them(compress, reverb....)? Thanks!

What type mics for ambiance and also how many? 1 or 2? Where do you place these? What do you do with them(compress, reverb....)? Thanks!
If it was me setting it up, I'd put up a pair of omni mics--one on either side of the stage, but not too close to the FOH speakers--as a starting point, and fine-tune from there.

We use 2 Beyerdynamic Classic BM series mics mounted in clips to mic stands on front of stage facing the crowd. They are set to only go to in ears and can be independently adjusted to each monitor. This way one player may want more ambiance while another wants none. Works great.

Back
Top Bottom