Axe-Fx III and IEM... 5 Tips & Tricks

Another good IEM tip is to carry some alcohol sterilising wipes to clean your buds after a gig.

Those warm sweaty buds get left in your bag for days on end and then you stick them back in your ears

Ear infections are not nice ...

Great video, thanks Sauro.
I knew 1 to 4, actually my IEM setup is different, and gives me more control: I use In3 (stereo) as input of IEM mix from my bus in IEM mixer and Out3 (stereo) to my IEM transmitter. I have a switch and pot connected to Axe pedal inputs - with pot I can set up the level of IEM mix from In3, switch is "killing" patch signal to out3. With that setup I can control level of input and get full mix from IEM mixer or add patch signal to get little bit more of patch sound. Out 3 level knob is set to max to have same level on IEM transmitter. Out 1 is used for direct headphones with IEM mix and USB in signals, Out2 (copy of out1) goes to IEM rack (it is splitted to IEM mixer and FOH outputs), out3 is used for IEM transmitter.
Trick with reverb is not applicable for me, as I play bass and preffer more dry mixes.
Trick with audience is not clear for me in regard of purpose - I think it is for feeling the gig. I actually use IEM headphones that does not completely isolate external sound - with proper volume level I have clear IEM mix with small amount of "outside" sound - it is usefull when something wrong happen with IEM, I always can hear the drums so I will not get lost...

Great video, thanks Sauro.
I knew 1 to 4, actually my IEM setup is different, and gives me more control: I use In3 (stereo) as input of IEM mix from my bus in IEM mixer and Out3 (stereo) to my IEM transmitter. I have a switch and pot connected to Axe pedal inputs - with pot I can set up the level of IEM mix from In3, switch is "killing" patch signal to out3. With that setup I can control level of input and get full mix from IEM mixer or add patch signal to get little bit more of patch sound. Out 3 level knob is set to max to have same level on IEM transmitter. Out 1 is used for direct headphones with IEM mix and USB in signals, Out2 (copy of out1) goes to IEM rack (it is splitted to IEM mixer and FOH outputs), out3 is used for IEM transmitter.
Trick with reverb is not applicable for me, as I play bass and preffer more dry mixes.
Trick with audience is not clear for me in regard of purpose - I think it is for feeling the gig. I actually use IEM headphones that does not completely isolate external sound - with proper volume level I have clear IEM mix with small amount of "outside" sound - it is usefull when something wrong happen with IEM, I always can hear the drums so I will not get lost...
Interesting approach.

I've yet to watch the video..but will get to it.

What pros and cons with IEMs?

Is it best to use IEMs along with wedge monitors or backline amp?

Looking now into incorporating.

Also ...anyone have pros and cons with 2 or 3 piece using backing tracks?

Is it best to use IEMs along with wedge monitors or backline amp?

Is it best to use IEMs along with
wedge monitors or backline amp?

This is based upon my experience with IEMs and no stage volume:

PROS:
  1. Without an amp on stage - Allows you to "crank" your amp (Axe) without annoying anyone.
  2. Allows everyone to hear the click-track - has made us tighter and more confident in the pocket as a band.
  3. The sound of the mix is much more clear than wedges, especially if you have a stereo mix. Wider soundstage.
  4. The ability to create your own mix. Most IEM systems have an app that allows you to control the mix on your phone or tablet.
  5. The ability to control the overall volume you are subjecting your ears to.
  6. Gives you the excuse "I didn't hear you" when the lead singer tells you to do something.
CONS:
  1. Don't have the "feel" of the amp on stage. Even with sealed IEMs, you can still tell if there's an amp on stage or not.
  2. The feeling of disconnect from the room. A couple of room mics at both sides of the stage can help but it does take some time to adjust to.

This is based upon my experience with IEMs and no stage volume:

PROS:
  1. Without an amp on stage - Allows you to "crank" your amp (Axe) without annoying anyone.
  2. Allows everyone to hear the click-track - has made us tighter and more confident in the pocket as a band.
  3. The sound of the mix is much more clear than wedges, especially if you have a stereo mix. Wider soundstage.
  4. The ability to create your own mix. Most IEM systems have an app that allows you to control the mix on your phone or tablet.
  5. The ability to control the overall volume you are subjecting your ears to.
  6. Gives you the excuse "I didn't hear you" when the lead singer tells you to do something.
CONS:
  1. Don't have the "feel" of the amp on stage. Even with sealed IEMs, you can still tell if there's an amp on stage or not.
  2. The feeling of disconnect from the room. A couple of room mics at both sides of the stage can help but it does take some time to adjust to.
Joker is spot on. The pros far outweigh the cons, and the few cons can be solved creatively. IEMS have saved my ears, and they no longer ring at the end of the night. If you're still using wedges, you're risking not being able to hear your grandkids talk to you. Wise up.

But he missed a HUGE pro, and one that all Fractal users should be considering:

7. You can now sell your speaker cabinet.

The Fractal products are perfect for IEM use. Ditch the expensive, bulky and heavy cabinet, create more stage space, go direct and save your back!

Wow, I did not expect that much positives! 😊👍🏻

What about the stage sound as combined with FOH. Some people think no matter the size of the venue ....the stage sound (fills) has a positive effect along side the FOH system.

Wow, I did not expect that much positives! 😊👍🏻

What about the stage sound as combined with FOH. Some people think no matter the size of the venue ....the stage sound (fills) has a positive effect along side the FOH system.
It can add to the experience, but more and more I'm seeing venues that are sticking amps and cabs backstage or in isolation boxes to give more control to FOH.

From my Triaxis/2:90 setup....For years I been using a small home made 1x12 wedge with a JBL130 facing me just to the left or right of my mic stand.

The issues from other band members about my volume was the impetus.

Since the Axe Ultra I utilized a powered speaker system in the same spot (SRM450).

Only recently I been getting some slack (negligible?) from an old school friend who just started doing live sound mixing about stage bleeds.

I would think sound men would have IEMs as a god send with practically total control of what the FOH audience would hear.

So those using only IEM's do you connect all of your connections through the AxeFX?
i.e.
1. You have the rest of the band mix going into another input of the AxeFX and mix levels in the AxeFX or
2. Do you have a stage mixer connected to the output of the AxeFX to mix in the rest of the band? or
3. Rely on the FOH sound man to send you the mix?

So those using only IEM's do you connect all of your connections through the AxeFX?
i.e.
1. You have the rest of the band mix going into another input of the AxeFX and mix levels in the AxeFX or
2. Do you have a stage mixer connected to the output of the AxeFX to mix in the rest of the band? or
We carry a rack with XLR splitters and a rackmount mixer. We plug our mics into the splitters, send one set of leads to the FOH, then run the other split into our rackmount mixer and mix our IEMs ourselves through iPad apps. That way we get the exact same IEM mix for every show.

i.e.
I'm the Music Director at a church and we run 2 Midas boards, one for FOH and the other is the monitor board. The signal is routed pre-fader and pre-eq from the FOH to the monitor board. Gains and eq are preset in the monitor board and each person has control over their individual mix using the Midas app. The only issue we have is if the gain of any channel changes at FOH, then we need to adjust the monitor board.

This can be done on a smaller scale with some of the rack/tablet-controlled mixers on the market. A couple of Behringer XR12's and you're in business.

Back
Top Bottom