Axe-Fx III and HD500X controller - understanding how AF3 processes patch changes

Conley Shepherd

Experienced
Hi Everyone, something is not sitting right with me with my setup and I am not able to figure it out. My goal is to select the patches with my HD500X and inc/dec the scene selection with external foot switches hooked up to the AF3. I have an HD500X setup for the AF3 controller. For the most part it works as expected until I try to set the scene increment and decrement when mapping is active.

I have 2 external foot switches hooked up to the AF3. I set the switches to increment and decrement the scenes outside of the HD500X control and that setup function works on all patches as expected.

My HD500X is in footswitch mode(all 8 buttons active for fx select). I was under the impression, have to find this reference again, that when you have the HD500X patch group of 4 up for selection that no midi foot switch or controllers are active and only the ABCD buttons are supposed to be active for the patch select only. So when I select a patch from that group of 4 patches(1A,1B,1C,1D) buttons ABCD should only select the patch and not transfer any switch/controller information. The ABCD buttons do select the patch, but depending on the scene inc/dec settings and the mapping settings, other artifacts are resulting.

1. When the AF3 scene INC/DEC is set with no mapping set for the HD500X buttons, all of the patches are selected without issue and the scene inc/dec function works as expected.

2. When no scene inc/dec are set (NONE) and the HD500X buttons are mapped for FX, patch changes and FX selection work as expected too and there is no scene inc/dec activity or option set.

When I set both the scene selection inc/dec AND have mapping set for the AF3 FX, I get results in the patch selection that are not desired. And this is where I am having trouble understanding the logic for the patch switching.

With the scene inc/dec set and mapping active, when switching patches by the HD500X, scenes are changed and fx get active from their bypass state as saved in the patch. When changing the patches from the value knob, the patch changes behave as expected.

All of my HD500X patch selection issues are related to defining the scene inc/dec while mapping is active. If I have inc/dec set to none, there are no issues with the HD500X patch selection and everything works except for the scene selection.

I am wondering if it is a bug in the firmware or a specified limitation for the scene inc/dec being set when mapping is active. If that is in the user manual, I couldn't find it. I thought an external switch would remove the possibility from the HD500X as being the culprit, but that is not the case and it seems related 100% how the AF3 processes the patch changes with scene inc/dec set to something other than none and the midi sent from the HD500X.

Any thoughts and help will be greatly appreciated.

I can’t see the Axe interpreting a midi message differently depending on how Scene inc/dec is set. Midi is midi. If it sends PC8, only PC8 should be interpreted.

Have you used a MIDI monitor software? They are free. Best to see exactly what the Pod is sending out.

I agree, midi is midi - the behavior only changes when I set the AF3 differently. That is why I am leaning to the AF3 setup foremost.

What software should I use? That is one thing I have not used as a midi monitor. I have edited midi while I was using Cakewalk in the old days.

I will see if I can dump the midi commands - need to know which software to use. This is likely not going to happen with an FC unit I would imagine. Theoretically, what I am trying should work, right?

Being that the only thing changing is the AF3, I don't think it is a midi send issue from the HD500X since it is static. I just want to understand and use this how I think it is supposed to be used and if it doesn't work that way, understanding why would help me a lot.

just installed it - good call. I think I have it setup right. I pressed the HD500X Bank up button, then selected the patch twice which produced this:
upload_2019-2-16_14-17-47.png

Not sure what that means, but that is how the AF3 gets what I send

Looks like it is using a general midi layout for the patch change. Looks like the HD500X is sending the CC changes when the patch is selected. I am not sure it is supposed to be doing that.

just installed it - good call. I think I have it setup right. I pressed the HD500X Bank up button, then selected the patch twice which produced this:
View attachment 52573

Not sure what that means, but that is how the AF3 gets what I send

Looks like it is using a general midi layout for the patch change. Looks like the HD500X is sending the CC changes when the patch is selected. I am not sure it is supposed to be doing that.
There are 2 presets being sent, but you said you selected the patch twice...

yes, but it also looks like it is sending the controller value too. Not sure what that does since the state of the patch is desired and I do not want a change in any of the fx or change of scene.

yes, but it also looks like it is sending the controller value too. Not sure what that does since the state of the patch is desired and I do not want a change in any of the fx or change of scene.
Yes, that too ;)

Some midi controllers send the state of all buttons or effects on preset change. No idea what the HD500 does...

I’m just getting on the trail myself. New to Axe 3 also.

I would really appreciate a rough breakdown of what configuration is needed on the HD500X side, as well as the Axe side. I’ve yet to plug it in and try anything.

Thanks

I’m just getting on the trail myself. New to Axe 3 also.

I would really appreciate a rough breakdown of what configuration is needed on the HD500X side, as well as the Axe side. I’ve yet to plug it in and try anything.

Thanks
This page was super instrumental in my controller setup. David has done a great job outlining the controller setup.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...d500x-as-midi-controller.144367/#post-1709509

I have my HD500X setlist if you need it as well as the AXE Global settings SYSEX file. Not sure how to attach files here in the thread. You can e-mail me if you want them.

THE KEY INFO FOR THE HD500X as a controller setup is to make sure the switches are NOT set to Toggle. If they are set to toggle, they get sent as part of the program change(patch/preset switch) and will dork up your presets.

FYI- I’ve got it working to my needs at this point, thanks for all the details! I’m using a secondary expression pedal however, not the POD ones. Not bad considering I got it for $200 bucks used.

Someone has to message me with their e-mail because I can't post them here I am pretty sure. I have sold my HD500X and now have an MX-12 which absolutely meets all of my needs now.

Back
Top Bottom