Axe-Fx III and Flat Response Speakers?

Hey AX Gang:

What are you guys using for Flat Response Speakers? What are you finding are the best? I read somewhere on this Forum at the "Older JBL PRX tend to be a bit shrill on the high end". I tried the Freidman and was not impressed. I was hoping that would have done it for me. It was also heavier than my 2x12 Marshall.

Just looking some guidance and advice.

Thank you.

Lots of threads on this same topic... Give us some details. Are you playing with a band? Do you have a budget? Are you in the US or Europe? What kinds of sounds are you going for?

Lots of threads on this same topic... Give us some details. Are you playing with a band? Do you have a budget? Are you in the US or Europe? What kinds of sounds are you going for?

Playing live yes in US ONLY.... what kind of sound??? Country, Rock, Hard Rock, Metal... I play it all. Which is why I bought this. I can go from Brad Paisley to VH... I love the VOX sounds and Fender sounds. Plexi's are ok.. Budget? Always a budget. I want the best bang for the buck.

Thank you.

Are you playing the Axe into the FOH? Are you just looking for an on stage monitor? Are you competing with a loud drummer or 2nd guitarist?

On the cheaper side, I would go with the L6 Power Cab. You can always buy one a return it to a nearby GC.

I have not played thru all the hi end PA speakers (Yamaha, RCF, etc), but I spent some time playing out of Alto, EV, QCS PA speakers, and its not inspiring.

If you have the cash get a Xitone or CLR. You will get a lot more feel of a real guitar cab.

Are you playing the Axe into the FOH? Are you just looking for an on stage monitor? Are you competing with a loud drummer or 2nd guitarist?

On the cheaper side, I would go with the L6 Power Cab. You can always buy one a return it to a nearby GC.

I have not played thru all the hi end PA speakers (Yamaha, RCF, etc), but I spent some time playing out of Alto, EV, QCS PA speakers, and its not inspiring.

If you have the cash get a Xitone or CLR. You will get a lot more feel of a real guitar cab.

Yes. Playing Ax through FOH and using in ear monitors. Yes. Competing with 2 Nd guitarist in one band. But not in another. I’m just old school and seem to rely on that stage sound. I guess I will dig in and try Xitone or CLR. Cheap is not the way for me to go.

I'm using the 1st gen CLR active wedges. Prior to that I used a matrix gt power amp into a pair of xitone wedges. The xitone were fun and I really didn't need to do much tweaking to get a good sound, but the CLR seemed to be more accurate on the hi end, so I kept those and sold the xitone setup.

I'm pretty much always playing in places that have a good pa so the CLRs are just for me onstage.

I'm using the 1st gen CLR active wedges. Prior to that I used a matrix gt power amp into a pair of xitone wedges. The xitone were fun and I really didn't need to do much tweaking to get a good sound, but the CLR seemed to be more accurate on the hi end, so I kept those and sold the xitone setup.

I'm pretty much always playing in places that have a good pa so the CLRs are just for me onstage.
And I bought them and use them often ;)

Great stufff. Thank you so much. I’m seeing a trend here on CLR stuff. ;-)

I'm thinking about going with this same setup. How do the Xitones hold up next to a loud drummer? Do they work well during rehearsals and live performance?

I can’t speak for the Matrix with the passive cab, but the active Xitone will rip your head off...I use a single Xitone active cab and it is WAY more than enough to be heard over a drummer. You could drown him/her out with ease if you wanted.

I can’t speak for the Matrix with the passive cab, but the active Xitone will rip your head off...I use a single Xitone active cab and it is WAY more than enough to be heard over a drummer. You could drown him/her out with ease if you wanted.
That’s what I wanted to know!

Atomic CLR Neo (mki or ii)

I’ve had them since they can out. I had the non neos prior and switched to the neos specifically due to weight (yes they do sound slightly different). I’ve since compared them to several speakers and used them in several different scenarios (stage monitors, pa speakers, studio monitors in many rooms/venues). They are still the best for the price. I have yet to find similar ones that are better and don’t weigh 45 lbs or more.

I don’t expect them to replace real cabs, large pa’s etc but they are the best Swiss Army knife anything that calls for reasonably loud, clear, reliable speakers.

Caveats : the finish sucks so consider linex-ing them if you care about the dings. Be comfortable with the company support. I did have issues with the non-neos that was promptly taken care of but I know of credible stories of issues with support. Like anything, have a backup plan.

Back
Top Bottom