Axe-Fx III and Boss ES8 Midi Control

Satch4u3

Experienced
Has anyone managed to get scene selection working via Midi? I had it working fine on the II with CC34 and value 0, 1, 2, 3. I have CC34 assigned to Scene Select on the III under the Midi/Remote menu, but it doesn't seem to be responding. Programming is the same on my ES8 as it was when I was using it with the II. The only way I am getting scene selection to work at this point is to use PC Mapping. Which is fine, as it works but it leaves me scratching my head as to why it's not working on III.

Make sure you have the same on and off value set. CC#34 off =0 on=0 should select scene 1, on=1 off=1 should select scene 2 etc.

Has anyone managed to get scene selection working via Midi? I had it working fine on the II with CC34 and value 0, 1, 2, 3. I have CC34 assigned to Scene Select on the III under the Midi/Remote menu, but it doesn't seem to be responding. Programming is the same on my ES8 as it was when I was using it with the II. The only way I am getting scene selection to work at this point is to use PC Mapping. Which is fine, as it works but it leaves me scratching my head as to why it's not working on III.
Do you have it set to the same midi channel on both devices? I believe the Axe Fx (at least the II) would perform PC changes regardless of channel...

Spent a good 30 minutes chasing this down for my friend when he first got his Axe Fx II and MFC. Preset changes worked, but Scenes and IAs didn't.

I have it working with a Decibel 11 Switch DR. All I have to do was to enable mapping in the AXE III and then change the mapping to my needs. I didnt have to do anything on the Switch DR.

PC1 on Switch DR mapped to Preset 0 Scene0
PC2 on Switch DR mapped to Preset 0 Scene1
and so on.

Sounds different than everyone else has it. May not be the best method but it does work.

I have it working with a Decibel 11 Switch DR. All I have to do was to enable mapping in the AXE III and then change the mapping to my needs. I didnt have to do anything on the Switch DR.
PC1 on Switch DR mapped to Preset 0 Scene0
PC2 on Switch DR mapped to Preset 0 Scene1
and so on.
He got it working with mapping... He wants it to work in the "native" method, by using CCs.

Thanks for the responses guys. I have the same midi channels on both devices.

The way I was using it on the II and ES8 was, I was sending out PC and scene selection via CC34 0 1 2 3...etc, on each of the ES8 switches, from 1 to 8. For the most part I live out of one patch. So the typical programming for my ES8 switches would have been something like, PC 16 CC34 value: 3. This would bring me to scene 4 in patch 16. Another button on the ES8 would be PC 16 CC34 value: 5. Gave me preset 16, scene 6. When I did change patches it would be, for example: PC 1 CC34 Value: 0

I am obviously missing something because so far, all other midi functions are responding fine with my III. Again, I have it working with PC Mapping, which is fine but the scene selection via CC34 is a lot more efficient and take less programming.

The way I was using it on the II and ES8 was, I was sending out PC and scene selection via CC34 0 1 2 3...etc, on each of the ES8 switches, from 1 to 8. For the most part I live out of one patch. So the typical programming for my ES8 switches would have been something like, PC 16 CC34 value: 3. This would bring me to scene 4 in patch 16. Another button on the ES8 would be PC 16 CC34 value: 5. Gave me preset 16, scene 6. When I did change patches it would be, for example: PC 1 CC34 Value: 0

I am obviously missing something because so far, all other midi functions are responding fine with my III. Again, I have it working with PC Mapping, which is fine but the scene selection via CC34 is a lot more efficient and take less programming.
Let us know if you get it working. I would like to try that as well.

Assuming it exists on the III, do you have Ignore Redundant PC on?

You should really probably only send CC messages... But it sounds like it should still work.

I'd open a support case with Fractal.

I have tried it with Ignore Redundant PC on and off. Also tried a different CC other than 34 just in case it was maybe being used somewhere else. No go.

I just tested and IA style switch on the ES8. I assigned CC34 with a Min value of 0 and Max value of 2. That is switching between scenes 1 and 3 fine. Weird. It seems odd that it's not processing it along with a PC.

I just tested and IA style switch on the ES8. I assigned CC34 with a Min value of 0 and Max value of 2. That is switching between scenes 1 and 3 fine. Weird. It seems odd that it's not processing it along with a PC.
Support case, for sure... Sounds like the CC is getting "lost".

Does the PC alone switch to scene 1 when Ignore Redundant PC is off? It works like that on the Axe II, so PC then scene CC would cause it to switch (or begin to try switching) to scene 1, then the intended scene.

If the III is the same you might want to avoid the PC if possible, or at least check for audible glitches. For example if amp uses channels A, B, B in scenes 1, 2, 3, see if switching between 2 and 3 w/ controller causes a gap.

I have had no issues with, longer than normal audio gaps, in the scenario you have described. I have always had Ignore Redundant PC Changes turned on.

Still having issues with scene changes via midi since the latest firmware release. At this point preset changes for all my sounds have less of a gap. Looks like when changing a scene with midi it always want to process the PC, then process the scene change, even though Ignore Redundant PC is set to off. PC Mapping is giving me same results. I had this working flawlessly with the II. Anyone else have any luck with this??

Have you set the axe fx III to number 34 in the midi setup on the unit? No numbers are set by default. Enter midi setup and page to the last page on the right. Set scene change to 34.

Can you try this without the PC before scene select CC? Now that it's apparently processing every command, you might just be hearing the problem of trying to quickly switch to scene 1 before the intended scene.

Back
Top Bottom