Axe-Fx III and Apollo Twin for Guitar Lessons

pharmd07

Experienced
Hi all. I'd like to try to take some online guitar lessons via Skype, but I need to get my setup working first.

I recently just switched to Mac and got an Apollo Twin X interface. I have the AxeFx III running into the SPDIF input of the Apollo and a mic also going into channel 1 of the Apollo. However, only the mic signal is going to Skype. Skype isn't getting the AxeFx III signal at all.

Do any of you guys own an Apollo and also do Skype guitar lessons? If so, what's your setup like?

I appreciate your help. I'd like to get this setup figured out before I attempt any lessons via Skype. Thanks!

Hey Pharmd,
Any video conferencing software only takes input one of whatever the core audio is. This includes facetime/zoom/skype etc. You would need a program like "loopback" to route all the audio digitally into input one.

What you can do is plug your mic cable into the axe fx input 2 and route on the grid to go to output 1. This can all feed into the Universal audio input one instead if you're using that for core audio.

Since the quarantine I've personally done both methods and they work great. If you need more help, I would be glad to set up a one on one tutorial.

loopback will let you route any or all inputs from the apollo to whatever app you're using. no need to change your setup. just cable the active inputs from one to the other.

you can also use soundflower, but loopback is better, imo

see screenshot. when using skype, i would select "guitar + mic" as my audio input

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-04-26 at 15.41.26.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-26 at 15.41.26.png
    81.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Hey Pharmd,
Any video conferencing software only takes input one of whatever the core audio is. This includes facetime/zoom/skype etc. You would need a program like "loopback" to route all the audio digitally into input one.

What you can do is plug your mic cable into the axe fx input 2 and route on the grid to go to output 1. This can all feed into the Universal audio input one instead if you're using that for core audio.

Since the quarantine I've personally done both methods and they work great. If you need more help, I would be glad to set up a one on one tutorial.

I've never attempted to run a mic into the AxeFx input 2. I'm assuming this would require a mic pre, right?

I've never attempted to run a mic into the AxeFx input 2. I'm assuming this would require a mic pre, right?
nope just an XLR cable. You can use a compressor block and side chain to input one so it brings down the volume of the mic when you play. Or even use a drive block preamp etc. you’ll just need to up the output a little. Works great.

nope just an XLR cable. You can use a compressor block and side chain to input one so it brings down the volume of the mic when you play. Or even use a drive block preamp etc. you’ll just need to up the output a little. Works great.

Interesting. All this time I thought a mic couldn't be directly connected to the Axe Fx. I never even bothered to try it. Thanks again!

Oh and in case you need it, here's my screenshots for how I route loopback.

For the one labeled "LOGIC" it's for recording into logic. I send 10 channels. I have a template in logic for everything.
1/2 AxeFX III Left/Right
3/4 AxeFX III Left/Right running into virtual channels on my Apollo (I can then use apollo plugins etc without sacrificing any unison preamps)
5/6 AxeFX III DI Left Right. Producers I do sessions for usually want DI stems so they can reamp or use software later if they want to modify any tones I send them
7/8/9/10 Inputs from my Apollo. I have more inputs but I rarely use more than four when recording guitar. Usually reserved for Acoustic/Ukulele/Room Mics/Micing the cab, real amps etc.

The other one labeled "loopback all to output 1/2" is for teaching via whatever platform all routed to output 1. Either the apollo which has monitors and headphones plugged in or the headphone out of my laptop (which is usually disabled or not in use)

Everything gets sent to input one of whatever application I'm using. I can play tracks on spotify, youtube videos, I have my iPad and vocal mic plugged into the Apollo so I can speak and also have slowed down tracks for the student to play along to or click etc. Student gets to hear the AxeFX with the full tone etc.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 12.28.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 12.28.16 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 12.28.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 12.28.04 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 12.27.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 12.27.14 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 12.26.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 12.26.32 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
Oh and in case you need it, here's my screenshots for how I route loopback.

For the one labeled "LOGIC" it's for recording into logic. I send 10 channels. I have a template in logic for everything.
1/2 AxeFX III Left/Right
3/4 AxeFX III Left/Right running into virtual channels on my Apollo (I can then use apollo plugins etc without sacrificing any unison preamps)
5/6 AxeFX III DI Left Right. Producers I do sessions for usually want DI stems so they can reamp or use software later if they want to modify any tones I send them
7/8/9/10 Inputs from my Apollo. I have more inputs but I rarely use more than four when recording guitar. Usually reserved for Acoustic/Ukulele/Room Mics/Micing the cab, real amps etc.

The other one labeled "loopback all to output 1/2" is for teaching via whatever platform all routed to output 1. Either the apollo which has monitors and headphones plugged in or the headphone out of my laptop (which is usually disabled or not in use)

Everything gets sent to input one of whatever application I'm using. I can play tracks on spotify, youtube videos, I have my iPad and vocal mic plugged into the Apollo so I can speak and also have slowed down tracks for the student to play along to or click etc. Student gets to hear the AxeFX with the full tone etc.

These screenshots are helpful. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I understand how the "loopback all to output 1/2 works". Everything that is connected to Channels 1 & 2 in the Output Channels section is what your student will hear. Then everything that is connected to Channels 3 & 4 in the Output Channels section is then routed to your Apollo, which you can hear via your headphones or monitors that you have connected to your Apollo. Is that right?

These screenshots are helpful. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I understand how the "loopback all to output 1/2 works". Everything that is connected to Channels 1 & 2 in the Output Channels section is what your student will hear. Then everything that is connected to Channels 3 & 4 in the Output Channels section is then routed to your Apollo, which you can hear via your headphones or monitors that you have connected to your Apollo. Is that right?

Nailed it. Absolutely correct. Helps with any feedback issues etc. I'll sometimes disconnect Channel 3 in the apollo (which has my mic) to help fight any feedback or echo issues since I don't actually need to hear myself through my own monitors. I just happened to be using headphones the last time I was teaching.

Back
Top Bottom