• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Wish Axe-Fx III 1U lite edition

Neelfy

Inspired
Id love an AxeFX III 1U lite edition with less power and just a small screen for basic control.

Prepare your presets with a laptop before playing, super small size, super light weight and only moderate CPU power.

Would be perfect for small bands thats prefer to tour with rack instead of pedals and does not have a nightliner or their own crew.

HAS to have at least one stereo fx return tough, for connecting backingtracks and FOH when using the fractal fx return as a linemixer for in-ears.

Would make a great alternative to the new small Helix pedal. 1000₤'ish pricepoint.
I agree 1U AxeFX would be very neat.

No need for a screen just use preset numbers and make a note of their names (song names etc) back in the day thats the way I did it with my Marshall JMP1 and quadraverb rig.

FreeMind

Forum Addict
3U would be fine if it was a powered version of the Axe FX 3, or I'd go smaller - A tiny stomp box.
Axe FX II and III, in my opinion, are in this "awkward" in between phase. They're too big to have a portability advantage over many tube heads, especially since you have to also have a separate power amp, but if it had a power amp built in, it would be acceptable...

Last edited:

zenaxe

Fractal Fanatic
Based on the number of AxeFxen I am seeing in major pro rig rundowns I am guessing the 3U size is a win based on all the sh*t a 3U Axe Replaces for most people already running racks. If you want a smaller FAS H/W unit wait for AX8III that it is the form factor for folks who want a one trip load out rig. 1U main processors are a thing of the past. Many do not even like racks. I'd definitely rather see a floor unit, VST, head, (in that order) before some weird gimped 1U unit with no UI.

unix-guy

Legend!
3U would be fine if it was a powered version of the Axe FX 3, or I'd go smaller - A tiny stomp box.
Axe FX II and III, in my opinion, are in this "awkward" in between phase. They're too big to have a portability advantage over many tube heads, especially since you have to also have a separate power amp, but if it had a power amp built in, it would be acceptable...
There is no requirement for a rack mounted power amp... Most FRFR solutions offer powered versions.

James Nash

Regular
I agree: there are so many companies already advancing power amp and powered speaker tech... I'm happy to see Fractal focusing on the guitar tone part of the equation, and leaving the system modular. Part of the attraction of Axe FX for me is being able to choose different speakers and amps depending on the situation, being able to get virtually the same tone while varying the volume, travel size/weight, etc.

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
Why do you need to have a power amp ? My FRFR speakers are all active, as are my studio monitors at home, and I’ve otherwise just plugged into the mixing desk. I’ve had zero need for a power amp.

All a power amp would do is increase the weight, and cost, and be something I’d have zero use for.

I remember carrying around amp heads as well. My 2204 was heavy and much larger than my III, night and day difference in fact. If your taking a little low watt mini head, then yeah, similar size, but still kind of apples to oranges. Can’t really do much with an amp head compared to the Axe. One is a complete rig, the other is just an amp head.

FreeMind

Forum Addict
Why do you need to have a power amp ?
To use a guitar cab, of course.
The most authentic playing experience.
Best of both worlds - Real cab on stage (Or rehearsal), but axe is connected to stage PA with cab sim.

Thing is, going direct only on a small stage just doesn't compare, when the next band on stage brings their 4x12. Especially when the PA in the club is mediocre. And most of them in my area are!

Last edited:

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
I want... no let me rephrase to 2018 standards... "FRACTAL AUDIO SHOULD HAVE" made it a cable version that doesn't need to be plugged anywhere. The sound just automatically comes from nothingness.

trixdropd

Inspired
I agree with Grape. A headless 1U rack with no controls that has axe fx 2 power at around $1k would sell to touring musicians who currently use axe fx 2. Most folks are editing with axe edit anyways. It's a new sku from the older tech assuming the processors are still available.

Bodde

Fractal Fanatic
I also agree. I always use my Axe fx II with a laptop attached even on gigs. I never use the front panel. For me the Axe fx III is too big. So a 1U with no screen or a very small one would be really nice. I also agree that in the near future this is probably how most people will use it. Axe fx attached to an iPad or a smartphone or something.

Top Bottom