Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 7 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell me if it’s a good process (to be back in 15.01)

- erase the beta presets
-update with previous firmware
-uninstall axe edit beta
-reinstall the official axe edit
-drop the 15.01 presets you have in a folder with preset manager
-refresh ?
To get back to 15.1 and then upgrade to the new Beta you just do the following:
1) install the 15.1 release firmware over whatever you have running now.
2) Use Fractal Bot to do a recovery of the full backup you made before installing the Beta. (you did make a backup right?)
3) install the new Beta software
4) open latest(Beta 5 version) axe edit and click Settings -> Refresh after new Firmware

Done.

Hope it helps

EDIT: If you didn't save any presets and you're just kicking the tires like I am, you should be able to just perform steps 3 and 4. This will go from the old Beta to the new one and refresh Axe Edit.

Last edited:
No I don’t have done a full backup. I have export all my presets in a folder before the beta . Thanks for answering

The latest Beta has some issues. When switching scenes on previous beta presets it will sometimes jump to channel D of the amp block when it isn't saved that way. My Brutalz preset, Beta 5 FW, is very flubby and has a tremendous amount of hiss. My Brit Pre 80s style preset tone is way off (flubby, lack of volume) and also a tremendous amount of hiss. Interestingly enough Beta 6 (no longer available) was killer regarding tone, tightness and "singing" lead tones. Looking forward to the next beta as we can all see Cliff and team are working tirelessly to get Cygnus finalized. Grateful to be allowed to participate in the public betas. Keep up the great work!

The latest Beta has some issues. When switching scenes on previous beta presets it will sometimes jump to channel D of the amp block when it isn't saved that way.

And that's why you, IMO, you should not update from beta to beta, but from latest non-beta to current beta (including presets).

Brit Pre hasn't been updated yet. See OP.

If I compare the beta 7 with the beta 5, the default presets in the beta 5 blade even more lively and more real than in the beta7. The amps react in the beta 5 even finer on the vol. Poti than in the beta7. The amps have more space and do not sound so pressed in comparison.

With the Vol. Poti I also noticed. With the beta7 I have to take it back from 5 to 3, so that it sounds like. Impedance allways Auto 1mega ohm.

And that's why you, IMO, you should not update from beta to beta, but from latest non-beta to current beta (including presets).

Thank you Yek. I know the Brit Pre hasn't been updated yet but was sounding great in previous betas (for me). I wasn't aware of rolling back to the latest FW to the latest beta was the best option for testing betas. Grateful for the insight. Thank you!

The latest Beta has some issues. When switching scenes on previous beta presets it will sometimes jump to channel D of the amp block when it isn't saved that way. My Brutalz preset, Beta 5 FW, is very flubby and has a tremendous amount of hiss. My Brit Pre 80s style preset tone is way off (flubby, lack of volume) and also a tremendous amount of hiss. Interestingly enough Beta 6 (no longer available) was killer regarding tone, tightness and "singing" lead tones. Looking forward to the next beta as we can all see Cliff and team are working tirelessly to get Cygnus finalized. Grateful to be allowed to participate in the public betas. Keep up the great work!
The "next beta" is available as the first post in this thread. Beta 6 was pulled shortly after it was released and now we have Beta 7.

The "next beta" is available as the first post in this thread. Beta 6 was pulled shortly after it was released and now we have Beta 7.
Thank you Cliff! My apologies for not being clear. I was referring to Beta 7. I'll roll back to 15.01FW and update to the latest beta (beta 7) and retest. Looking forward to the final version. As with all your work, everything gets better all the time. Love your products!!

Thank you Cliff! My apologies for not being clear. I was referring to Beta 7. I'll roll back to 15.01FW and update to the latest beta (beta 7) and retest. Looking forward to the final version. As with all your work, everything gets better all the time. Love your products!!
You don't need to roll back to previous non-beta FW. I don't know why anyone would say that.

The amp modeling between B6 and B7 is identical. You may want to do a soft reset of the amp block though.

If I compare the beta 7 with the beta 5, the default presets in the beta 5 blade even more lively and more real than in the beta7. The amps react in the beta 5 even finer on the vol. Poti than in the beta7. The amps have more space and do not sound so pressed in comparison.

With the Vol. Poti I also noticed. With the beta7 I have to take it back from 5 to 3, so that it sounds like. Impedance allways Auto 1mega ohm.
The amp modeling algorithms in Beta 7 are identical to Beta 5. The only difference is the MV taper has changed on some amps and a constant that only affects cathode biased amps (i.e. AC-30) was changed because it was incorrect.

From the beta 4 thread:

Isn’t the “output knob” there the Master, and channel volumes just mix the various channels to be sent to the Master?

You're right, but both the channel specific level and the global output level knobs (on a real amp) affect the signal level the poweramp receives, and therefore the headroom available to it. For instance you could set the Master (output knob) to 10, but with a very low channel volume you'd still have poweramp headroom. In fact, on several mesa amps (Mark V, Roadster family) they have a bypass switch that bypasses the global master and makes the "channel master" the master volume instead.

It would be totally redundant in the Axe since functionally they both do the same thing, but worth keeping in mind when people are saying "I matched the new authentic Master knob but I'm still getting different sounds" because they channel volume or vice versa might be set differently.

Also, to Mark AL, I was mistaken when I suggested this was what might be happening with your Mark V:35 comparison, I forgot they didn't have that setup, just an alternate master you can swap between. I was confusing it with the full V that has both.

You can update from beta to beta. I don't know where you got this information but it is incorrect.

Ah that’s a good news !
So if we do beta to beta, did we need to reset all the amp blocks or just the new added amps ?
Thank you

Thanks Cliff. your work is appreciated. I just got an FM3 to go with my axeIII and the beta blows the FM3 away!! (nothing against the FM3 of course, just the previous modeling algorythms)... I don't have the best ears but there is a clear difference with this update, especially when working with the low end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom