Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 5 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I listened to the clips 3 or 4 times last night and like Cliff mentioned it is hard to know what one is supposed to be hearing. While it is is clear to you, I must confess it isn’t to me and I don’t hear much of a difference listening for buzzing / clipping. Could you post b4 vs b5 with just amp and cab without the delay and reverb?
Yeah understood, and it’s hard to explain over the Internet. I may try to do another one.

I tried to exaggerate the issue with the delay and reverb. And unfortunately, I can’t isolate the amp at home to be able to play it at gig volume. There’s clearly and unpleasant buzzing/clipping riding on top of the signal in the Beta 5 clip. At this point, I’m just going to stick with Beta 4 and hope this gets fixed in a later release.

Nope, there’s no overloading going on in the signal chain. My inputs into the Axe don’t even tickle the red and the input into Logic was at -12dB via USB.
My guess is what you are hearing is grid bias excursion in the power amp. It's more prominent in the latest beta (and more accurate). These AC-30 derived amps exhibit significant grid bias excursion due to the phase inverter design and small grid stopper resistors. This causes the amp to shift into Class-B operation when overdriven which causes crossover distortion. Crossover distortion is fizzy and gritty. It's not nearly as noticeable when playing through a guitar cabinet but when close mic'ing an amp it can become quite apparent.

The previous beta and Ares exhibited less bias excursion. Ares due to inaccurate bias excursion modeling and the previous beta due to a mistake in the power amp grid drive calculations.

You can reduce the bias excursion by reducing the Pwr Tube Bias Excursion value in the Advanced menu of the Amp block.

My guess is what you are hearing is grid bias excursion in the power amp. It's more prominent in the latest beta (and more accurate). These AC-30 derived amps exhibit significant grid bias excursion due to the phase inverter design and small grid stopper resistors. This causes the amp to shift into Class-B operation when overdriven which causes crossover distortion. Crossover distortion is fizzy and gritty. It's not nearly as noticeable when playing through a guitar cabinet but when close mic'ing an amp it can become quite apparent.

The previous beta and Ares exhibited less bias excursion. Ares due to inaccurate bias excursion modeling and the previous beta due to a mistake in the power amp grid drive calculations.

You can reduce the bias excursion by reducing the Pwr Tube Bias Excursion value in the Advanced menu of the Amp block.
Awesome, I’ll try that!

Waiting for the Matchless. It's certainly noticeable on them. Some kinda weirdness now.
No biggie, plenty o awesomeness in others to get me through. I used the ARCH/FEND combo last night.

Out of curiosity and just for fun, I A/B tested my Mark V 35 cab clone v.s. Axe III Beta 5 last night, both via my reference headphone.

1. I know people dump on cab clone for years, but I always thought it performs pretty decent on the 35 with my headphone at least.

2. Axe III does an incredible job replicating the tonal character and feel of 2C+ and Mark 4, (despite these are not apple to apple comparison)

3. The real amp however still responds with more dynamic, eg more obvious when I start diving into the strings.

FWIW, interesting stuff...

These amps are NUTS now!!! I swore at times I was in front a festival stage with amps roaring at my back instead of chatting with my wife at conversation volumes about how great this firmware is

Even she agrees it sounds REALLY killer! And brutal and tight and punchy, and she's a classical concert violinist 😂

Great job again Cliff!!👏

I DO get the real amps having a bit more dynamic range that others mentioned, I heard it on some A/B clips and found my muscle memory on some amps expecting more chunk depending on the attack, but honestly this firmware I can safely say is THE sound and feel of tube amps. We have arrived with modeling.

The tri axis is really cool 👍🏻

@FractalAudio you choose a mark 4 as the power amp if I remember, as this is a preamp only normally. did you changed the poweramp section or it is based on the mark 4?

i have asked about a separate preamp/amp for each amp and I have understood that you don’t want to do it, but can you add just a simple poweramp ( neutral ) to use the tri axis , the jmp etc ? And for the future, the studio preamp ? 🎁
Edit : which poweramp is used for the jmp1?

I tried to exaggerate the issue with the delay and reverb. And unfortunately, I can’t isolate the amp at home to be able to play it at gig volume. There’s clearly and unpleasant buzzing/clipping riding on top of the signal in the Beta 5 clip. At this point, I’m just going to stick with Beta 4 and hope this gets fixed in a later release.

Nope, there’s no overloading going on in the signal chain. My inputs into the Axe don’t even tickle the red and the input into Logic was at -12dB via USB.
Why not just turn off all the extra stuff in your patch, so others can hear the amp model? As it is, it’s soupy.

I don´t know how to discribe because my first languege is not english.

In the beta i like the way of texture the amps sound ist and the feel of it.In the 15.1 it´s a little bit differend.

Beta 5 sounds great via headphones ,but via Poweramp and guitar cab i miss a lot off bottom end.

I also miss the dynamic deph an precence in the Dynamics page.

I tryed to tweak in beta the botom end back but didn´t get it in the way it´s in the 15.1 .

My patch is very simple only Amp and Drive and Cab.

Gretings Andree

Yes i tried it several times :cool: jumped between the firmwares and dit everything you normaly

do like amp reset and this things...:)

Also did a new Preset from scretch and did the same and checked via photo of each page...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom