Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 5 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The MV changed, so that means that to iron out the volume differences in existing presets we also need to tweak MV instead of volume only.

But how do I know which amp has it's MV higher or lower now? And are there some unchanged, so I could such an amp as an orientation? Can I see the taper setting somewhere?

@FractalAudio thanks for the amazing tone you have developed for VOX AC30

Here is a comparison of Public Beta 1 with Public Beta 2 of a VOX AC30TB in Brian May mode with just a Drive an Amp and a Cab Block with @York Audio IR pack, no reverb or effects

If the first take sounds fantastic the second one is supreme, thanks Cliff and team.

Fractal is so realistic that you get the natural hiss you get with a fully cranked amp and a treble booster, unfortunately as i reamped the track without setting nicely the levels that added a bit of extra hiss however I think this is sufficient to see the quality of the AX3.

I cannot compare with Ares as I already updated to Beta 4 a while ago.

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers

Here is a comparison of Public Beta 1 with Public Beta 2 of a VOX AC30TB in Brian May mode with just a Drive an Amp and a Cab Block with @York Audio IR pack, no reverb or effects

If the first take sounds fantastic the second one is supreme, thanks Cliff and team.

Fractal is so realistic that you get the natural hiss you get with a fully cranked amp and a treble booster, unfortunately as i reamped the track without setting nicely the levels that added a bit of extra hiss however I think this is sufficient to see the quality of the AX3.

Cheers

I prefer sample one by far , very nice sound 👍🏻

Cheers

Second one is the real amp :)

I am still confused about how to reset the amp block WITHOUT causing the bass-mids-treble and gain settings to reset to flat. When I choose a different amp and then go back to my original amp, or if I use the Tools menu to resets, the amp completely resets all settings. Is there any other way other than taking a screen shot of my original settings and re-doing them one by one?

The MV changed, so that means that to iron out the volume differences in existing presets we also need to tweak MV instead of volume only.

But how do I know which amp has it's MV higher or lower now? And are there some unchanged, so I could such an amp as an orientation? Can I see the taper setting somewhere?
Trust me you will know when you play through it just like real amps
the volume will come on fast

The headroom meter that was added a while back is great for having a clear view of what's happening with MV regardless of what the standard is for taper.
Indeed, but I think that a lot of folks don't use it. Probably a big overlap between those that don't use it, and those that put the MV on 7 on MV amp models...

Since so many users have had difficulty with the MV taper being different than the real amps (primarily putting it way too high and then complaining that their tone is too distorted or compressed), I vote to keep it authentic to the real amps, no matter how wonky they are.

Better the devil you know or something. At least it would get rid of a lot of complaints, support inquiries and threads from new users.

I'd vote for more linear controls for everything. I've never played most of the amps IRL, so I'm setting the models with my ears anyway. But I know I'm in the minority not caring about the authenticity of the control settings.

For sure, some users seem to get all wrapped around the axles when the model settings don't exactly match their amp.

Table 1 below shows changes between Beta 4 and Beta 5.

Green in the top section Beta 5 marks newly updated amps or ones that are now verified from their Beta 4 versions.
Green in the bottom section Beta 4 indicates an unverified amp is now verified in Beta 5.
Green in the bottom section Beta 5 indicates a newly updated amp that is not yet verified.
Blue indicates an amp listed in Beta 4 that is not included on the Beta 5 list. (There are three of these.)

I have not compared the Beta 5 list to the total amp list to see how much is left to do.

Can't wait to get a beta for the FM-3, though I totally understand why it makes sense to work through the beta process on the Ax3 first.

1615471523396.png

Green in the top section Beta 5 marks newly updated amps or ones that are now verified from their Beta 4 versions.
Green in the bottom section Beta 4 indicates an unverified amp is now verified in Beta 5.
Green in the bottom section Beta 5 indicates a newly updated amp that is not yet verified.
Blue indicates an amp listed in Beta 4 that is not included on the Beta 5 list. (There are three of these.)

I have not compared the Beta 5 list to the total amp list to see how much is left to do.

Can't wait to get a beta for the FM-3, though I totally understand why it makes sense to work through the beta process on the Ax3 first.

View attachment 79843
Plexi 6CA7 and Plexi 6550 fall under the Plexi 50W models so they are updated and verified. Tweed 5F8-A is there. Look again.

3. This firmware is more aggressive in the very high frequencies than the previous beta. There was a mistake in the power amp algorithm that reduced the drive into the virtual power tube grids by about 30% typically. So the grids weren't clipping as soon as they should resulting in reduced high frequency overtones. This typically will only be noticeable on non-MV amps. On non-MV amps you should hear a bit extra "sizzle" in the top end.
I don't know if that's the reason but with this beta I got back the thump, feel and dynamics of ares that I was missing in the previous beta on some amps, loving it!

And it doesn't seem a coincidence that in beta 4 I had to crank the presence on the plexi 100w model.

I don't know if that's the reason but with this beta I got back the thump, feel and dynamics of ares that I was missing in the previous beta on some amps, loving it!

And it doesn't seem a coincidence that in beta 4 I had to crank the presence on the plexi 100w model.
Probably as that's the only thing that changed. Otherwise the modeling is the same as Beeta 4.

View attachment 79843
This is totally me doing this in Excel this morning too. One quick one, the Tweed 5F8 is in both

I am still confused about how to reset the amp block WITHOUT causing the bass-mids-treble and gain settings to reset to flat. When I choose a different amp and then go back to my original amp, or if I use the Tools menu to resets, the amp completely resets all settings. Is there any other way other than taking a screen shot of my original settings and re-doing them one by one?
You can set the Tone Control Display in Global Settings to "Ideal" instead of "Authentic" to do so.

@FractalAudio I have a question, although not listed, was the Brit Silver updated? The reason I'm asking is I never really liked that amp because I found it a tad too dark. Now, it's one of my favorites and I can't stop playing it. This update is just stellar!

@FractalAudio I have a question, although not listed, was the Brit Silver updated? The reason I'm asking is I never really liked that amp becasue I found it a tad too dark. Now, it's one of my favorites and I can't stop playing it. This update is just stellar!
All the models have been updated to some degree. To make the list a model needs to be fully updated which means I go through all the parameters one-by-one. Then I compare the model to the reference amp. Sometimes there are only minor or no changes, sometimes there are more substantial changes.

Our reference amp for the Silver Jubilee is actually not a Silver Jubilee. It's a Lerxst Omega that Alex Lifeson gave me.

Cheers

Nice - is that with the Treble Boost drive?

All the models have been updated to some degree. To make the list a model needs to be fully updated which means I go through all the parameters one-by-one. Then I compare the model to the reference amp. Sometimes there are only minor or no changes, sometimes there are more substantial changes.

Our reference amp for the Silver Jubilee is actually not a Silver Jubilee. It's a Lerxst Omega that Alex Lifeson gave me.
Well whatever changed, I absolutely love it!

Cliff ,of the amps youhave remodeled for Cygnus
which one or ones would you say have had the most drastic or noteable changes in sound and or feel other than the Tweed
just curious

I've always loved the Brit-Pre for 80s style hard rock tones. I didn't think it could get any better than I had it in previous FWs and was really looking forward to the updated Cygnus version. The new FW delivers in spades!! With a bit of reverb and delay the Brit-Pre sounds like I've been invited to a sound check in the late 80s!! As always, Thank you Cliff and team!! Exceptional!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom