Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 5 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downlo...xe-fx-3/16p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_16p00_beta5.zip

IMPORTANT - READ ME - DON'T IGNORE - LISTEN UP CHUCKLEHEADS

1. This is BETA firmware. It is not guaranteed to be flawless and bug-free.
2. It WILL change the sound of your presets.
3. The volume levels of your presets WILL likely change.
4. Not every amp model has been updated yet. Some amp models may sound completely wrong. If an amp model is not listed below there is a possibility it won't sound right.
5. There may be issues with Axe-Edit not working correctly for some amp models.
6. You need to perform a "Refresh After FW Update" if using Axe-Edit.
7. An updated Axe-Edit for use with this firmware can be found here:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-edit-iii-1-08-09-supports-fw-16-00-public-beta-5.170905/

IF YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO ACCEPT THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS THEN YOU SHOULD NOT INSTALL THIS FIRMWARE.

The following amp models have been updated and verified against the real amps:
'59 Bassman
'65 Bassman
Band-Master
Blues Jr.
Deluxe 5E3
Deluxe Reverb
Twin Reverb BF
Princeton
Princeton Reverb
Super Amp 6G4
Tweed 5F8-A
Vibrolux
Vibroverb
AC20 DLX
Plexi 50W
Plexi 100W
1987x
1959SLP
JCM800
JCM800 #34
Brit Super
Brit 800 Mod
Brit Brown
AFD100
JVM410
CAE 3+
X88
X99
SLO 100
Mark IIC+
Mark IV
Triaxis
Recto2
6505+
5150 III
Orange AD30
Tiny Terror
Carol-Ann Triptik
Carol-Ann Tucana
Cornford MK50
Swart Atomic Space Tone
Komet Concorde
Komet 60
FAS Brootalz
Diezel Herbert
Friedman Smallbox
Friedman BE/HBE
Dirty Shirley
Cameron CCV
Cameron Atomica
Dumble ODS-100
Ruby Rocket
Trainwreck Express
Trainwreck Liverpool
Trainwreck Rocket
Badger 18
Badger 30
PRS Archon
Bogner Ecstasy
Bogner Fish
Bogner Uberschall
Dr. Z Maz-38
AC-30
Hot Cat
Engl Savage
FAS Express
FAS Skull Crusher

The following models have been updated but NOT verified yet:
JTM45
Carol-Ann OD2
Bogner Shiva
Super Reverb
Diezel VH4 Blue
AC-15 TB
Matchless Chieftain
Matchless DC-30
Tremolux
Mesa JP2C
JMP-1

Last edited:
I don't think it's presumptuous to say that I think that this will help many of us get through week. Thank you for letting us in on another Cygnus beta. I'm really looking forward to just playing. That has been the best thing about Cygnus so far for me, I am tweaking less and playing more.

Some notes:

1. This firmware will update various parameters to default values when loading presets. This includes Power Tube Bias, Bias Excursion, Negative Feedback, etc., etc.

2. I have adjusted the Power Tube Bias vs. the previous beta. In the previous beta the Fender (et. al.) default bias values were based on the original factory values. After much consideration I have decided to use "best practice" bias points.

The reason for this is that Fender amps were biased very cold from the factory to ensure the tubes lasted beyond the warranty period and cut down on warranty claims on tubes. However when replacing the tubes in ANY amp the best practice is to bias the tubes at 60-70% of max plate dissipation (for Class-AB amps).

I have some old Fender amps here with the original tubes in them and they are biased around 50% which is extremely cold. If I were to replace the tubes I would adjust the bias to around 66% (my personal preference).

So the bias point for all models is now commensurate with the typical bias point a technician would set the amp at rather than the factory value as the factory value almost always errs on the cold side for tube reliability reasons.

Therefore you will now see bias points of around 0.5 to 0.6 for 6L6 amps and 0.45 to 0.5 for EL34 amps and so forth. Feel free to experiment with colder or hotter bias points. Setting the bias colder (lower) results in a more dynamic response but harsher breakup and more crossover distortion. Setting the bias higher results in a warmer but less dynamic tone. For a Fender model the factory bias equivalent may be as low as 0.45.

For "Class-A" amps the bias point is adjusted using the Cathode Bias Resistance parameter. For those amps that parameter now appears on the Power Amp tab of the amp block. Increasing the value results in a COLDER bias point and vice-versa (opposite of the bias parameter behavior).

3. This firmware is more aggressive in the very high frequencies than the previous beta. There was a mistake in the power amp algorithm that reduced the drive into the virtual power tube grids by about 30% typically. So the grids weren't clipping as soon as they should resulting in reduced high frequency overtones. This typically will only be noticeable on non-MV amps. On non-MV amps you should hear a bit extra "sizzle" in the top end.

4. If you complain you'll be sent to the back of the room and will have to sit in the corner with a funny hat on for the rest of the day.

Therefore you will now see bias points of around 0.5 to 0.6 for 6L6 amps and 0.45 to 0.5 for EL34 amps and so forth.

Feel free to experiment with colder or hotter bias points.

Setting the bias colder (lower) results in a more dynamic response but harsher breakup and more crossover distortion. Setting the bias higher results in a warmer but less dynamic tone. For a Fender model the factory bias equivalent may be as low as 0.45.
just gonna reiterate this part in bold :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom