Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 4 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe i found bug. In one preset when i want to copy or swap scene to other scene, volume change. I copied scene 3 to scene 4. volume dropped
I'm not with my axe, so I can't look myself. Double check there aren't different scene level in the output block as well as scene controller differences. I'm not discounting your situation, but these have bitten me before.

I may have missed it since this thread is a bazillion pages long now, but what's the deal with with 5150 red channel? It's got this weird chutter thing going on, like it has a really fast noise gate on it. I thought it was part of the beta? Or have others been having issues with it?

Maybe i found bug. In one preset when i want to copy or swap scene to other scene, volume change. I copied scene 3 to scene 4. volume dropped
What @warlockII said.

Also, go to the the Meters page in Layout, and see which block is cutting back your signal.

For me the best part of this update is the "string shimmer" and attack on each note.

Those of you that have really cranked up a good tube amp and plugged in will know what I'm talking about. If you lightly brush the strings while cranked up with gain you can hear this beautiful shimmery wash . . . it's like billions of harmonics all mixed together. This update does that!

There is also a clarity for the pick attack that I haven't heard before. If I cranked up dynamics before I could get it but it sounded a bit artificial - this sounds like a real amp set to killing volume. The envelope on the note is a bit compressed after the pick attack gets through like on a real amp as well. Less compression in the chain is needed. I can really hear it with the Archon and a Strat.

Overall I think you need less gain to get a great tone with this update. I don't chug so I don't care about that . . . but so far to my ears this does sound damn good.

I'll hold my final judgement until Cliff gets to my favorite amp - the Vibro-King. That amp is KILLER in 15.

EDIT> The Badger 18 with a shimmer drive is flat out astounding with my EJ. Holy freaking crap folks!!

Last edited:
For me the best part of this update is the "string shimmer" and attack on each note.

Those of you that have really cranked up a good tube amp and plugged in will know what I'm talking about. If you lightly brush the strings while cranked up with gain you can hear this beautiful shimmery wash . . . it's like billions of harmonics all mixed together. This update does that!

There is also a clarity for the pick attack that I haven't heard before. If I cranked up dynamics before I could get it but it sounded a bit artificial - this sounds like a real amp set to killing volume. The envelope on the note is a bit compressed after the pick attack gets through like on a real amp as well. Less compression in the chain is needed. I can really hear it with the Archon and a Strat.

Overall I think you need less gain to get a great tone with this update. I don't chug so I don't care about that . . . but so far to my ears this does sound damn good.

I'll hold my final judgement until Cliff gets to my favorite amp - the Vibro-King. That amp is KILLER in 15.
This is eactly the explanation we need to hear. Thank you!

Second time I posted this question, which hasn’t been answered. I’m going to go out on a limb and guess the answer isn’t no.

Just because a Patent was granted doesn't mean he needs to start using it right away, And in fact, waiting for it to be patented doesn't mean he can't start using it before then, he just wouldn't know if he'd get the patent or it'd be unpatentable, or something he infringes on.

Your output block has a level increase of 2db for scene 1, 4db for scene 3, and 0db for the rest of the scenes.

It's bitten me several times too.

It's debatable whether it's a bug: Axe-Edit could be coded to automatically copy the level from one scene to another, just like it would all the other blocks and let the user deal with the problem, or it could be nice and not overwrite but pop up an alert to let us know that we need to look at it, or it can continue as is and silently ignore the problem and we can wonder WTF is wrong.

I'd like to see the second option so we're aware and can choose to ignore the problem or go fix it. An extra nice thing the code could do would be to pop up an alert with the option to keep the original setting or update to the pasted setting.

The code should probably also have an indicator that shows the level changed in the Out block when we're looking at either the "Block Info" or "Scene Mgr" displays, because currently the change in levels is invisible as we move through scenes, making it harder to diagnose this sort of situation.

Last edited:
I'm guessing there will be more betas to add more updated amps to the list until they're all done, and then we get a final release? Maybe I'm wrong, but just seems like a ton of work to update all the amps with the new modeling algorithms, so I've been expecting a rather long beta period this time around with a lot of beta releases before a final release.

Has anyone tried the Bogner XTC models in Cygnus yet? They are in the secondary group....trying to decide if I load the Beta FW in my new Axe-FX so that I don't have to re-tweak all of my settings a week or so after doing my initial build.

I'm guessing there will be more betas to add more updated amps to the list until they're all done, and then we get a final release? Maybe I'm wrong, but just seems like a ton of work to update all the amps with the new modeling algorithms, so I've been expecting a rather long beta period this time around with a lot of beta releases before a final release.
As I understand it, the firmware's preamp modeling code was the significant change that improved the sound of the amps; It's one code base for all preamps and common to all. But, the difference in the sound being generated also meant that the default settings of the Amp blocks needed to be checked and adjusted, which, though it's significant work, isn't nearly as bad as if individual amps had unique code, which I kind of doubt they do. Remember, most tube amps are variations on a few early circuits.

The tech notes for each firmware change might give better insight into what has changed in prior firmware revisions and what would also be expected to change in this one.

Has anyone tried the Bogner XTC models in Cygnus yet? They are in the secondary group....trying to decide if I load the Beta FW in my new Axe-FX so that I don't have to re-tweak all of my settings a week or so after doing my initial build.
Just get a good backup of your current stuff and load it to play around. You can always roll back in about 5 minutes.

Hi,

Fully appreciate that this is a beta, and that there were warnings in the release notes about popping - but want to share a warning. While auditioning IRs in the cab block and muting/unmuting/soloing IRs, there are unbelievably loud pops/volume spikes. Even with the actual signal volume at reasonable levels, the pops/surges are absolutely deafening sitting in front of my two CLRs.

Once again, not complaining or disparaging the firmware in anyway or claiming I wasn't warned, but just offering a specific warning about this experience for other users who may be using the beta and auditioning IRs in the cab block.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom