Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 4 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed this too. I changed the recto2 to el34 to try & tighten it up & couldn't hear a difference. Previous firmwares were subtle but it did change the sound.
Was lots of discussion about this here about a yr ago. In previous FWs, I could never hear any difference whatsoever between tube type values alone except for 300B (some could hear a slight difference which I found amazing given I could hear none (I even went into doing eq matches to try and "see" a difference but could not as an EQ match would not pick up on the subtle harmonic differences with changes in tube type only). As I recall from that discussion, multiple other controls need to change with appropriete values along with the tube type value change, in order to model a realistic tube change - knowing what those appropriete values are requires some expertise I wasn't able to get my head around so I abandoned my interest in tube swapping. I'm gradually coming up to speed on basic tube amp circuts, so at some point I may come back to this but even so, with 100-150 great amp models on tap, getting into tube swapping seems like a big rabbit hole.

Last edited:
The default value is for a 16 ohm cab. Also, 0.3 is actually 3. Cliff probably calculated from a max value of 1 instead of 10.
So the negative feedback change compensates for using a virtual 8 ohm cab? You wouldn't need/want it if you were using a 16 ohm impedance curve? I've never looked for one; do we have any on board?

Is negative feedback the only thing that's affected?

I've always wanted a black Ric bass, and I don't even play bass. Classy as hell.
It was my dream bass for 20 years 🥰. Finally got one since 1 year . I own a stingray and some others but this bass is so beautiful ... I don’t want to do a single scratch on it .

I updated to Cygnus accidentally, but its all good....I'm sure any update, including a whole new modeling system, is an axe fx iii improvement upgrade , as always.....I just noticed it during loading, and then I checked the site

My preset volumes have changed but for the most part, the profiles of the presets have remained....anything of highlights I should know about, as this is a 72 page thread and counting....

Is Cygnus a huge update over Ares? Has anyone not done the upgrade? thx

I updated to Cygnus accidentally, but its all good....I'm sure any update, including a whole new modeling system, is an axe fx iii improvement upgrade , as always.....I just noticed it during loading, and then I checked the site

My preset volumes have changed but for the most part, the profiles of the presets have remained....anything of highlights I should know about, as this is a 72 page thread and counting....

Is Cygnus a huge update over Ares? Has anyone not done the upgrade? thx
May I ask how you accidentally updated? Honest question.

Cygnus is a substantial update, but this is a beta, meaning this is not the final version and a preview or test for feedback from the community.

Yes some people have not done the upgrade.

Last edited:
Not Cygnusized yet, but the Blanenship model still sounds great. Raw and awesome..

I thought I was familiar with all the Marshall type amps, but ashamed to say this one has passed me by. Sounds absolutely tremendous though and love the simplicity. Crank the volume, tone to taste and guitar volume to control gain.
I know what I’m doing when I get home tonight.

So the negative feedback change compensates for using a virtual 8 ohm cab? You wouldn't need/want it if you were using a 16 ohm impedance curve? I've never looked for one; do we have any on board?

Is negative feedback the only thing that's affected?
I'm gonna be totally honest and admit that I can't answer those questions. But as far as I know, changing the negative feedback on the Friedmans is because their weird design, and is probably not applicable to other amps. What other changes might happen on the amp side of things, I don't really know. But I do know that 8 ohm and 16 ohm speakers sound vastly different from each other. 16s are much brighter than 8s.

Is this using S/PDIF.... I read in some other thread a similar issue and it was the clock rate being reset from 48KHz by the PC interface that was messing things up.
2 separate issues. I was using TRS out to a powered PA when the hiss happened.

While using Axe FX as an interface, that weird distortion sound coming from W10 audio definitely felt like a clock rate/bitrate thing cuz it sounded so digitally distorted. Seems like that's a separate issue from the hiss as far as I can tell. I'm gonna factory wipe it here and see if it persists, then contact support if it either issue happens again.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downlo...xe-fx-3/16p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_16p00_beta4.zip

IMPORTANT - READ ME - DON'T IGNORE - LISTEN UP CHUCKLEHEADS

1. This is BETA firmware. It is not guaranteed to be flawless and bug-free.
2. It WILL change the sound of your presets.
3. The volume levels of your presets WILL likely change.
4. There are known issues with minor popping/thumping when changing amp models/channels/scenes.
5. Not every amp model has been updated yet. Some amp models may sound completely wrong. If an amp model is not listed below there is a possibility it won't sound right.
6. There may be issues with Axe-Edit not working correctly for some amp models.
7. You MUST update Axe-Edit to the latest beta for proper operation:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...8-supports-fw-16-00-public-beta.170254/unread

IF YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO ACCEPT THE ABOVE LIMITIATIONS THEN YOU SHOULD NOT INSTALL THIS FIRMWARE.

The following amp models have been updated and verified against the real amps:
'59 Bassman
'65 Bassman
Vibroverb
Band-Master
Deluxe Reverb
Twin Reverb BF
Deluxe 5E3
Princeton Reverb
AC20 DLX
Plexi 50W
Plexi 1987x
Plexi 6CA7
Recto2
CAE 3+
X88
X99
SLO 100
Triaxis
Mesa MKIV
6505+
5150 III
Orange Tiny Terror
Tucana
Cornford MK50
Swart Atomic Space Tone
Komet Concorde
Komet 60
Tweed 5F8-A
FAS Brootalz
Diezel Herbert
Friedman Smallbox
Friedman BE/HBE
Dirty Shirley
Cameron CCV
Cameron Atomica
Dumble ODS-100 HRM
Dumble ODS-100 Clean
Ruby Rocket
Trainwreck Express
Trainwreck Liverpool
Trainwreck Rocket
Suhr Badger 18
JCM800
JCM800 #34
Brit Super
Brit 800 Mod
Brit Brown
PRS Archon

The following models have been updated but NOT verified yet:
JTM45
Carol-Ann OD2
1959SLP
Plexi 100W
Mark IIC+
Bogner Ecstasy
Bogner Shiva
Bogner Uberschall
Super Reverb
Vibrolux
Diezel VH4 Blue
Plexi 50W 6550

Forgive my ignorance, I’m old ("get off my grass old," actually time period wise more like “get off my Eocene [Cenozoic Era] grass”) but what or why is this FW, or thread, titled “Cygnus?”

BTW I don't see Gibton/Gibson Scout in either verified or unverified list (yea I know nag, nag, nag) - 😄

Forgive my ignorance, I’m old ("get off my grass old," actually time period wise more like “get off my Eocene [Cenozoic Era] grass”) but what or why is this FW, or thread, titled “Cygnus?”

BTW I don't see Gibton/Gibson Scout in either verified or unverified list (yea I know nag, nag, nag) - 😄
it's the name of this generation of modeling. the previous was called Ares. another was called Quantum.

Why are you called "Larry?" Because someone gave you that name. Why is Cygnus called "Cygnus?" Same reason. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom