Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 4 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys realize some of you have been complaining about a fw that's not even been released yet?? It's an uncomplete beta, it's like your wife just turned on the oven and you tell her the Wellington filet was much better last week..!

For the Firmware I hope it will keep its rawness when Cliff continues to bake it...

This is a beta. Feedback is welcome. If your opinion of Cygnus is not positive, that’s ok. People may make suggestions based on those comments, and that should be ok too.

“Sounds like shit” isn’t very helpful though, and is a bit rude considering all the work going into this. The more specifics that can be communicated, the easier that can be understood and considered.
The sound like shit thing was not about the axe , I just tried to say that dirty a signal don’t make it more « true » . some high gain amps sound tight even with tubes on it. But we are far to have them all , so we will see

The sound like shit thing was not about the axe , I just tried to say that dirty a signal don’t make it more « true » by definition as some high gain amps sound tight even with tubes on it. But we are far to have them all , so we will see
thanks for the explanation, it wasn't too clear in the post. but i was also just using that statement as a general example.

For the Firmware I hope it will keep its rawness when Cliff continues to bake it...
This rawness is super cool for many amps , for many music genre . But if we can have a more focus sound on high gain it can be perfect too . People in the past always said that fractal was cold and for metal only , is what I have heard for years and years , but the Cygnus is a super cool answer to that, finally real clean with a lot of attack and crunch sounds that sound real . But don’t forget the metal community 🙃.

Last edited:
Tight or loose depends on the amp model and how you set it: a Tweed Deluxe will never sound tight. An Engl, Deizel or Soldano don't get loosey goosey. You can stretch reality somewhat with various advanced parameters, but its easy enough to just pick the right amp and adjust the resonance on a taut IR. Try a 4x12 with EVs or the like. Use appropriate pedals as desired for spice, grease and texture. If you can't get it tight, you ain't trying.

16b4 may be a Beta, but its an Alpha among betas.

Sure . And if you don’t like the 5150 3 red channel for example , don’t waste your time and play with another head as they are 50 high gain heads .I like it in the Cygnus it’s sound like a big Marshall despite the « bug » thing on it .

I getcha, but somebody a few posts ago was saying that Cygnus wasn’t as tight as the previous firmware.
Some of the defaults are different which will affect the sound. Tweaking the feedback and compression settings in the amp block should let people push the sound back to what they were expecting.

I trust that Cliff's code changes result in a more realistic representation of what the original modeled amp sounded like. Someone's ideal sound is different than the ideal that Cliff was after when he picked that particular instance of the amp and they'll need to tweak to move it back to their concept of ideal. Cliff covers this phenomenon here and there in the various tech notes.

Some of the defaults are different which will affect the sound. Tweaking the feedback and compression settings in the amp block should let people push the sound back to what they were expecting.

I trust that Cliff's code changes result in a more realistic representation of what the original modeled amp sounded like. Someone's ideal sound is different than the ideal that Cliff was after when he picked that particular instance of the amp and they'll need to tweak to move it back to their concept of ideal. Cliff covers this phenomenon here and there in the various tech notes.
I like the idea of accuracy, make it as accurate as possible, and let me twist it into what I need , like any other amp.

I’m pretty happy with 3.0 on the FM3, but I’m chomping at the bit for the Cygnus update.

I believe "my name is mud" having English as his second, or heck, even third language is creating some confusion in his tone and approach in communicating with us. I see it happen all the time at work. It's not a knock on him at all, just a reminder that the mindset you have when reading his responses can paint a picture that isn't there.

To add to that; 100% praise does not help further improvement. The squeaky bearing gets the grease. How many features and improvements have come about through the years because something was brought to light?

Just food for thought. :)

I believe "my name is mud" having English as his second, or heck, even third language is creating some confusion in his tone and approach in communicating with us. I see it happen all the time at work. It's not a knock on him at all, just a reminder that the mindset you have when reading his responses can paint a picture that isn't there.

To add to that; 100% praise does not help further improvement. The squeaky bearing gets the grease. How many features and improvements have come about through the years because something was brought to light?

agreed.

i mentioned in a few posts above, but no one is looking for 100% praise. this is a beta, it's meant for user feedback even if it isn't positive. people can say they don't like it. but from there, if they can provide any specifics as to what they don't like, THAT will help the development vs "it sounds bad."

i don't think anyone here who enjoys FAS gear is wanting every comment to be "this is the best ever!" i don't think moderators delete comments that mention things they don't like and specifics. if someone is constantly replying to positive comments with the same "i don't like it" over and over, then that can get irritating and detracts from the conversation happening.

I getcha, but somebody a few posts ago was saying that Cygnus wasn’t as tight as the previous firmware.
Might've been me, and it was primarily directed at the 5153 100w Red Channel model, which apparently there is a bug in that will be fixed. It was spongy and wouldn't tighten up no matter what I did to it (clean boost/drive/EQ, etc.). So, good to know that is being addressed, seeing as it is the model for my primary tone live and in studio.

I don't think the praises to this beta come from a politically correct attitude and more than that, nobody is celebrating mediocrity.

I sincerely believe you are missing the point since your analogy doesn't really fits in here.
Why? Then check previous comments and replies and you might understand where the animosity is coming from.

If you're trying to grease something that's squeaking you do something about it - at least install the firmware, provide feedback on what doesn't sound right and how, not "I don't like it" and "is worse than 15", "not for metal", etc.

Yes I understand English very well but speak and write it bad . Now You understand why Marco speaks Italian in his videos 😅. Yes Italian is my native language, i speak French and understand German very well . That’s not the first time I offense people because I don’t use the good words ... when you learned English with punk and metal bands it does that 😓

I don't think the praises to this beta come from a politically correct attitude and more than that, nobody is celebrating mediocrity.

I sincerely believe you are missing the point since your analogy doesn't really fits in here.
Why? Then check previous comments and replies and you might understand where the animosity is coming from.

If you're trying to grease something that's squeaking you do something about it - at least install the firmware, provide feedback on what doesn't sound right and how, not "I don't like it" and "is worse than 15", "not for metal", etc.

It's not called being politically correct, it's called being kind and compassionate. Try it on sometime.

And there's already been some improvements from the chatter here. Case in point being the 5153 Red model. Was said it was fine at first, only later to be revealed that there was an error in it.

How many times have you heard a clip of something and didn't jive with it? I'm sure you've made many purchases through the years based off sound clips without playing it. He very well could have advanced/more sensitive hearing for all we know. Lol

Metal? Why would you think that ;-).

Specifically, it's the 5153 100w Red Channel, but there are others. Things just seem darker to me with less definition with more spongy lows and woof. I worked with the 5153 tone for quite a while and never could get it to where it was. @Tone Ranger had mentioned something about "Cygnus not having the dynamic depth and presence controls" which he said he read in the tech notes, but I couldn't find. I was hoping he might be able to share what he did to resolve the issue.

I'm sure I'll adjust, just looking for a little help :).

Note: I'm running into a Matrix GT800fx through an Orange ppc412hp 400. Fishman Fluence modern pups, mostly on passive voice.

Specifically for the Dynamic Presence and Depth thing, there used to be advanced parameters called Dynamic Presence and Dynamic Depth. Basically, the harder you played the more the amp would turn up the presence (which simulates how some real amps act sometimes) and the same for depth (except no real amp does that, it was just there for fun). But the new algorithms have removed those options entirely. That means if you'd made heavy use of those options to create your tone (as I suspect Tone Ranger did) then you'd head something very different with them suddenly gone. But they aren't on by default, so if you didn't go in and explicitly set them you don't need to worry.

Does it?

I thought 3.1 was a bug fix, for bugs I wasn’t having.

3.02b also has improved bias grid clipping algorithms which improved the sound too.

Last edited:
If we are still discussing the beta in here and not just bickering, I still find the CAE3+ is way less gainy and compresses less than the previous firmware. Anyone else have the same experience? I can‘t seem to dial in the same ratio of gain and compression that I liked on the old model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom