Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 4 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not the case that Cyngus is more accurate than ares or? Didn't it come about thanks to critical listening of Cliff, which revealed discrepancies? It seems that a big number of amp sims have changed now, some more so than others.

I mentioned accuracy, not being better or worse in terms of some other measure (for example "what someone prefers"). Of course older amp modelling can still be good or even great by one's taste. A lot of people like what kemper does to source tones, constant, slight TS hump. But it could be more accurate.

And for accuracy as well, if Cyngus is more accurate than Ares, that's cool for people who want that. But this does not mean it "wasn't at all accurate" before. It's not even clear to me at which point A can be said to be "accurate" and what exactly this entails (often a loaded description). The kind of test considered sufficient to call it a day and sims "accurate", in some companies, isn't the same elsewhere.

I do believe that most claims about fractal's innacuracies are due to bad testing or unwarranted conclusions of users. But also seeings so many amps change quite a bit is telling about how things haven't been "perfect".

Not that cliff has claimed this about all amp sims (I don't know if this has occured about certain sims). And I like the fact that fractal keeps moving forward instead of just calling it a day. It's such a different approach from some other companies and definitely welcome for me personally.
What amps have changed drastically? Who claimed things were perfect? Have you tried Cygnus or are you just in here trying to pick a fight?

Did you make sure to level when comparing?

I thought the speaker compression was causing issues too, but then I gain matched it with it off and compared and the speaker compression sounds great.

It seems that the level changes more dramatically now with the poweramp modelling cha

Did you make sure to level when comparing?

I thought the speaker compression was causing issues too, but then I gain matched it with it off and compared and the speaker compression sounds great.

It seems that the level changes more dramatically now with the poweramp modelling changes.
I agree the level changes more with this FW than previously. I'll do a more thorough comparison with the speaker compression. Based on your reply, do you prefer the speak compression at stock level?

No I don’t have tried the original . But vai sounds really clean . That’s a super clean high gain lead sound . When you mess around with this legacy amp you have everything except super fluid lead sound . Maybe that’s not the amp of the record or live don’t know .
Here is a video where you can see Vai's setting on his legacy amps, and you also can see that he uses fractal for some of the effects (around min 16 )

maybe that can help you to dial in a similar preset.

I really , really, really need to try more this function . I have tried it in the axe 2 and got some caricatural reproductions. Here your exemple is super cool ! You plug your source in mono ? Is there a topic or ... maybe the manual is clear about this function. Thank you , you gives me some new hope and perspective with the afd

Most of the positive feedback comes from clean / crunch, classic rock users, where are the metal heads ?😅 . You are lucky if you don’t tweak . In general I play 5 minutes , tweak for an hour , and then play . And this everyday 🤣

I started posting in here the day after the beta got dropped. I know my profile picture doesn’t exactly scream “This Guy Plays In Drop-C 98% Of The Time”, but I do. Chug chug chug, all day long. I was particular surprised by the one comment you found regarding the HBE C45, as that’s my go-to amp and found entirely opposite results with it. Now it’s got giant, girthy balls.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if the fact that some people use passive pickups and others active may influence the experience with Cygnus, I'm pretty sure Cliff uses passive, so maybe those who use exclusively active don't notice the improvement the same way.

I‘m having the opposite experience. Because of the way my Fishman’s slam the input, I was getting a lot of high-end I didn’t care for. I was using a PEQ after the cabinet to squash some of it around 3000-4000K and then dropping my Input level a bit to compensate. Not doing that anymore.

man, I dunno how anyone over here is saying the high gain stuff is sounding bad; I'm a 2000% metal pure, installed it an hour and a half ago, and this has been the best 90 minutes of my
life lol. granted, I'm not really into the 5150s or using a shit ton of gain (my preset is a low gain, mid heavy fas modern III + ts808 mod clean boost through a stereo ownhammer recto IR), and I guess playing around I can see how the difference would be a turn off for some people, but it's just like....everything is so much more responsive now.

a huge tell for me is this: I use fishman modern hums, and up until now whenever I've been in practice mode I've had to stick to the passive voicing; with the active one it's harder to be mindful of pick attack and hone in on the micro nuances that help build up accuracy in that area, cause for my ears it's just a tad too bright. now though, that isn't an issue; I feel like I can dig in harder and still get a defined sound that I can really shape and mold to my liking.

so I guess that would be would be my suggestion to my fellow metal-ers: just fuck around with your palm mutes a bit, loosen up your hand, maybe lower your gain, try to space out your notes a bit. cause the chug thing cliff originally mentioned when he was first talking about the update....10000% a thing.

it is soooooooooooo good lol

As a Fishman user, I agree 110%!!!

What amps have changed drastically? Who claimed things were perfect? Have you tried Cygnus or are you just in here trying to pick a fight?
Did you read my posts? Wasn't at all my intention to "pick a fight". This almost sounds like the kind of pub owner who perceives almost anything as an attack of some kind and is looking for a fight themselves.

I could respond to your questions in detail. But I'd likely be straw manned, which is ok. If I'm banned for this response, it's also ok; enjoying cyngus in any case, because I definitely like how JCM feels and sounds now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom