Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 4 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Initial impression is. Dive in. All's I'm doing is shutting off PEQ that I added after amp+cab and letting it breathe. Seems to me, I may be deaf though, that the 3.2K thing I was dialing out is not necessary and Ive been able to add back in some bottom. Thanks Fractal.

As a 8 year Axe II/III owner, this is probably the most significant change I noticed after an upgrade. Clarity and tightness is really good. I love the new SLO 100!

I tried to come at this comparison with new ears, and the only way that I can really compare is with the FM3 and Axe3. I saw other post of this "more organic" sounding, etc. At first I wasn't noticing, but then again I had been playing so many different amps that my ears were lying. I just made a preset on the Axe with a friedman HB model and then save it to my fm3. Dang, there is a noticeable improvement and my eyes have been opened. Now, with that said, is it a fair comparison being that FM3 doesn't have ultra res on the cab block? Honestly, in the past I have never heard a difference between fm3 and axe 3. Let me know some thoughts.

The new firmware beta reminds me of having an honest friend. He may not be polite, but he doesn't BS you, just tells it like it is. The amp models that I checked out are rude in the most honest way possible. I enjoy the interaction. They don't make me a better musician, they don't offer any illusion as to who I am as a player. But in that, there is so much room for improvement and refinement because I can hear and feel my own playing in a way that I just haven't been able to before. The texture of the JCM800 makes me attack the strings differently, the way the harmonics jump out on the high strings makes me change my picking hand position, the grunt of the low end makes me want to play slower with more sludge. The amp models that have been updated and verified affect me in a way that gives me musical options because of how they react to nuance. It's a wonderful time to be a Fractal owner and I am very much looking forward to hearing the music that this inspires from the community.

Are you accusing us of this firmware release being a marketing ploy?

Not at all. Just replying to the question from the marketing perspective of software development. For example, MacOS has different names behind their major releases, yet the version bump is a minor one, not major and they don’t reset to v1. My purely marketing comment was solely focused on the “maybe this will be the direction taken with this release, maybe not.” What we do know is we’ll all find out once it’s out of beta. Apologies for my lack of clarity and any misunderstanding that occurred.

Whats the most impressive is that with so many detailed amp models to rework, so far there have been no major bugs. I haven't tried out the firmware yet, but I applaud these impressive accomplishments Cliff!👏

Meanwhile, my windoze pc tried to prompt me to update an app which took me to the store to get the app which it reinstalled and asked me to update it, which took me to the app store....

So yeah, if no one else mentioned it, amazing job with such an undertaking with no major bugs so far!

on the 5e3 in the editor there is a presence knob that shows under authentic that wouldn't be there on the amp. It is at 0 but since I feel like a Beta* tester now I wanted to note it unless it already has been.

1613834872972.png

Also, for clarification since there is (1) amp covering the Instr/mic and jumped settings. Is it correct to say that with the volume at 0 on either it is the single channel and once the blending begins it goes into jumped mode?

The Vox’s have been done, right? They’re not listed on the first post, but I swear I hear an improvement.

I'm excited about the upcoming Cygnus, but I'm going to wait for the actual release so I maintain my presets and won't need to tweak them twice (once now and again after the release).

The Vox’s have been done, right? They’re not listed on the first post, but I swear I hear an improvement.
They haven't been update per se' but they are using the new algorithms. ALL amps will benefit from the new algorithms but only those on the list have had their parameter sets updated.

Some amps are in a partial state of update. If they are only partially updated they won't be on the list.

The Vox models are probably pretty close to their final state but I haven't gone through every parameter on them yet nor compared them with the reference amps.

Initial impression is. Dive in. All's I'm doing is shutting off PEQ that I added after amp+cab and letting it breathe. Seems to me, I may be deaf though, that the 3.2K thing I was dialing out is not necessary and Ive been able to add back in some bottom. Thanks Fractal.

I’m letting my hangover pass until I get in my studio to crank up, but like I said in a post last night, I was constantly battling the upper mids/treble with the high gain amps and it was always between 3-4K. Most of my presets have a PEQ blocking in that exact area. I really can’t wait to see how this is going to change my presets.

Also, very glad I’ve recorded DI’s for everything on the album I’m working on!

Might have to hair-of-the-dog-it today just to get in there sooner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom