Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 4 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the changes, I'd say it's wise to reset. But it's all up to you. Test it yourself. Compare an amp block "as is" and after a reset.

I don't usually install beta firmwares, but I really wanted to try the new Cygnus algorythms with the Herbert simulation.
First thing I noticed on my to-go preset is the volume drop compared to the F15.01 and also the different feeling on the amp, Herbert CH3.
Played some minutes, test another preset I had with Triaxis sim (which sounded awesome, by the way) and back forth to Diezel. I reset the amp and men, now it feels like my oldie Diezel Herbert. I just adjusted gain (way less than what I was using with F15.01) and general output volume. No need for more tweaks to have that inmense Diezel sound. I deleted all the post EQ I was using before to clone the sound I had on my physical Herbert. Just amazing work!.

I also tried to change preamp tubes types, and now I really can hear the differences. Can't wait to have the stable V16 firmware to test all the amps.

Wow.

I just woke up, installed the firmware, and started testing out my favorite presets. So far, I've tested the Friedman HBE (or well, it's called the HBE V1 C45 now), the FAS Modern, the FAS 6160, and my personal favorite, the Euro Uber.

It's incredible. I don't know what's going on, but it feels like the lower mids are more present, in a good way. Just before today, I spent a crapload of time with the PEQ block, trying to get things just right, and I couldn't get there. Now, it just clicks and sounds insane.

Thank you, Fractal Audio.

Yes, I just sat with a couple of my presets and re-levelled them etc.
They sound noticeably grittier/spittier/angrier all in a good way!.
I found that I no longer need to mess with the EQ, or increase the Sag on those, just kept as stock they sound just right. This presents a much less daunting prospect when it comes to re-aligning all my 125+ working presets.
In the meantime, am only trying out this beta, and will stick with the old firmware until this Cygnus one gets a final version.

Last edited:
Forgive me if this has been asked. If Cygnus is a new firmware, why isn’t version number starting at 1.0x? That happened with Quantum and Ares. Not an issues, just curious.

Can’t wait to try it tomorrow afternoon

Holy crap :O the SLO 100 has allways been a model that I loved (never tryed one), it has gotten better... I cannot stop playing!
They're one of the best amps to have in a recording environment if you have a cab in an iso booth or a good attenuator. Otherwise SLO's sweet spot is in the permanent hearing loss region, depending on the cab... that is to say, maybe slightly quieter with 25w greenbacks instead of V30s.
The model was already really close on that one and I haven't tried the Cygnus update yet.
Some practical tips would be to keep the input gain down because it gets very wooly and keep the master volume in the sweet spot or it really falls apart. The most common mod is a bright switch, since at lower volumes it can be harsh like the JCM800 it's based on.
I love the SLO100 so much :D

Given the changes, I'd say it's wise to reset. But it's all up to you. Test it yourself. Compare an amp block "as is" and after a reset.
Has this been confirmed as necessary? Be good to know. I thought this was not required anymore since the old Axe FX 2 days, I could be wrong.

Question from a newbie: Do you mean "a complete/total reset"? How can I reset an amp? Is there a special button/procedure for it or something?
Thanks in advance.

Question from a newbie: Do you mean "a complete/total reset"? How can I reset an amp? Is there a special button/procedure for it or something?
Thanks in advance.
I use Command+I on my Mac. Might be CTRL+I on Windows?

That’s an “i” by the way.

About resetting the amps... I have at least 500 presets, some commercial packs and my own presets. Each one have more than 1 amp, usually 5-6. In general - 2500-3000 amps to reset? Is it really necessary?
This is a big effort, I would wait until the final (non beta) release has been out for a least a few days before doing this.

Per cliffs original post, not all amps are reworked yet - more changes are coming.

You can try a few and see if you think it's needed, also see what the final release notes say about this.

Commercial packs may get an update from your vendor too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom