Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 4 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not going to read through entire thread as it is huge, but I am experiencing the USB timing out on a mac but not a Pc. Maybe after 15 mins of inactivity on Axe edit ona mac it just times out and AXE3 needs to rebooted to connect again. Not the end of teh world but still not ideal. Dunno if anyone else is experiencing that? doesn't do it on my Pc

Happening to me as well. I haven’t updated anything since I went to Catalina, so whatever version of that was the first one is what I’m on. This happens whether I’m using Logic or not. It happened WHILE I was mixing the other day. I pressed the space bar to stop the song and went to press it again to start it, maybe 10 seconds after and it wouldn’t play. Unplugging the USB and popping it back in resolves it.

It’s been happening for a while, but the frequency doubled since I updated Cygnus and this is the first time it’s happened AS I was using the computer, every other time has been when it went to sleep and I woke it back up.

Last edited:
Took the plunge and updated. WOW. So alive, and while the chuggy stuff is amazing I can't get over the 59 bassman. so much fun, it just breathes underneath my fingers.

I'm noticing something on the Friedman HBE V1. The bright switch creates some unpleasant distortion (to my ears), and i noticed the bright cap's value is very high, and stays that way even when i reset the amp. Is this setting as intended?

Took the plunge and updated. WOW. So alive, and while the chuggy stuff is amazing I can't get over the 59 bassman. so much fun, it just breathes underneath my fingers.

I'm noticing something on the Friedman HBE V1. The bright switch creates some unpleasant distortion (to my ears), and i noticed the bright cap's value is very high, and stays that way even when i reset the amp. Is this setting as intended?

Cliff addressed that a few pages back:

That's the way those amps sound with the bright switch on. It's due to the location of the drive control.

Turn down the Preamp Bias Excursion to reduce it.

The problem with those "Mid Stage Drive" designs using a Plexi drive network is that if you bypass the drive pot with a cap (bright cap) you also bypass any grid stoppage and the next stage goes into blocking distortion very easily. There's essentially a straight shot into the grid for all the high frequencies. Friedman probably realized this and that's why there's no bright cap on the BE as the BE is very similar to the Atomica.

Dumbles, etc. have the "Overdrive" control mid stage but don't have any bypass caps and also have an additional grid stopper.

It’s not exactly the same problem @chris, but after my Mac m1 /big Sur / Logic Pro wakes after sleep or idle, it does not sound the already loaded I/O audio nor does it play new audio....I don’t know if that description helps, but I’ll try to monitor it more closely

however, I’ve had no issues with communication from the axe and axe edit software that I can report - seems to more be a sleep/wake issue? Maybe it’s just logic but anyway I have to reboot each time for the axe to sound

I want to be as detailed to help so lmk if you need more info

I don't use Axe for audio but it has not timed out on USB on Catalina latest update 10.15.7 for me, with Axe Edit and it's always in the audio pull down menu. I also have it directly connected, not through a hub.

I don't use Axe for audio but it has not timed out on USB on Catalina latest update 10.15.7 for me, with Axe Edit and it's always in the audio pull down menu. I also have it directly connected, not through a hub.
Hmmm
Maybe that’s the issue, I didn’t even think of that

I am not going to read through entire thread as it is huge, but I am experiencing the USB timing out on a mac but not a Pc. Maybe after 15 mins of inactivity on Axe edit ona mac it just times out and AXE3 needs to rebooted to connect again. Not the end of teh world but still not ideal. Dunno if anyone else is experiencing that? doesn't do it on my Pc
This is the wrong thread for your question, but to help answer...

Typically USB issues occur either because the cable is bad, too long, you're on a hub that isn't powered, or there's a weird interaction with another USB device.

I went through a long process to fix the same problem with my FM3 and FM3-Edit losing their connection though my AF3 and Axe-Edit III worked fine, so I disconnected everything, then started moving my FM3 USB cable to different ports. It was totally stable on the USB-A ports, and the AF3 was happy on any of them. Once I figured that out I plugged in my drives, and everything has continued to be stable.

It’s not exactly the same problem @chris, but after my Mac m1 /big Sur / Logic Pro wakes after sleep or idle, it does not sound the already loaded I/O audio nor does it play new audio....I don’t know if that description helps, but I’ll try to monitor it more closely

however, I’ve had no issues with communication from the axe and axe edit software that I can report - seems to more be a sleep/wake issue? Maybe it’s just logic but anyway I have to reboot each time for the axe to sound

AxeEdit also stays connected for me, while everything else regarding the computer audio disconnects.

This is the wrong thread for your question, but to help answer...

Typically USB issues occur either because the cable is bad, too long, you're on a hub that isn't powered, or there's a weird interaction with another USB device.

I went through a long process to fix the same problem with my FM3 and FM3-Edit losing their connection though my AF3 and Axe-Edit III worked fine, so I disconnected everything, then started moving my FM3 USB cable to different ports. It was totally stable on the USB-A ports, and the AF3 was happy on any of them. Once I figured that out I plugged in my drives, and everything has continued to be stable.
If you look at his follow up he says it's only been occurring for him since downloading the beta, so it's potentially not the wrong thread.

I changed my Mac Mini M1 so it would never go to sleep, and I've yet to have another incident like yours. I know my monitor won't last as long, but I'm happy to not have this issue. FWIW. Lee

I have been running my Mac Mini with Catalina and haven’t run into any timing out issues. I have noticed a graphical error in Axe Edit though. Amp A in the top bar always displays ‘59 Bassman until I click the amp block. It loads the correct model in the patch, just a graphic name error it appears. And I am running the beta Axe Edit as well.

I have been running my Mac Mini with Catalina and haven’t run into any timing out issues. I have noticed a graphical error in Axe Edit though. Amp A in the top bar always displays ‘59 Bassman until I click the amp block. It loads the correct model in the patch, just a graphic name error it appears. And I am running the beta Axe Edit as well.
I’ve had this situation happen as well in Cygnus with the 59 Bassman showing up until I click the Amp block then it displays the correct Amp block for the selected preset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom