Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 4 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not afraid to admit that I’m one of those
ignorant Americans who speaks English and nothing but English.
I'm not usually one to enter in on controversy, but I fail to see how only being able to speak English correlates with being ignorant. I'm one of those english only fellas... what is there to admit? Please do enlighten?

Please don’t apologize.

There are so many people on this board for whom English is not their native language. And yet their English is nothing short of phenomenal. I’m so impressed!

I’m not afraid to admit that I’m one of those
ignorant Americans who speaks English and nothing but English. I feel like a complete dummy compared to anyone who has learned English as a second language.
English is a hard language to learn as a non-native speaker, due to the many irregularities, and grammar and spelling norms borrowed from many disparate languages. It started out as a branch off German, and was influenced by Celts, Romans, Normans (French descendents of Vikings), and numerous others. Vowel and some consonant pronunciations wandered around a bit, too.... Just think about how many different pronunciations there are for the combination of letters 'ough'.... There are too many ways to spell 'two', and many native speakers even get them wrong....

Last edited:
Other languages have unique, insightful, and often poetic ways of describing things that would be lost if we homogenized speech to just English....
/begin patriotism/
English is hard as hell for Americans and counts as like ten major languages with all the borrow words, arrangements and expressive idioms.
Plus we're far from a homogenized country in the US, demographics be damned. Last I checked we had 330 million people with backgrounds from every corner of the globe.
If homogenous languages are themselves musical and poetic, American English is a cacophony of endless expression.
/end patriotism/
Anyway, I can't stop playing the Mark IV. Can't wait for the next beta!

English is a hard language to learn as a non-native speaker, due to the many irregularities, and grammar and spelling norms borrowed from many disparate languages. It started out as a branch off German, and was influenced by Celts, Romans, Normans (French descendents of Vikings), and numerous others. Vowel and some consonant pronunciations wandered around a bit, too.... Just think about how many different pronunciations there are for the combination of letters 'ough'.... There are too many ways to spell 'two', and many native speakers even get them wrong....
Actually, it started off as a Germanic language, not as a branch of German. Modern German is a Germanic language, but it's also a descendant of a different language. Frisian is the most closely related to English.

/begin patriotism/
English is hard as hell for Americans and counts as like ten major languages with all the borrow words, arrangements and expressive idioms.

"American English" has many regional variations as well, none of which diminish the benefit of learning other non-English languages. I suspect our definitions of 'patriotism' may not be completely the same. :)

I personally like the part of it where English Speakers were ruled by a ruling class that couldn't be bothered to learn the finer details of the language, but since they were the ruling class it became the de facto standard. And that's where we lost most of our verb conjugations aside form the 3rd person form (I run, you run, they run, he runs...).

Actually, it started off as a Germanic language, not as a branch of German. Modern German is a Germanic language, but it's also a descendant of a different language. Frisian is the most closely related to English.
Yes. The Angles, after which England were named, spoke a variation of the old Germanic languages. English borrowed bits from many sources to get to where it is today, constantly bringing in new vocab and grammar models. If it had done so with some cohesive direction instead of haphazardly, and a lot faster, it could be compared to the way Fractal updates their firmware. :)

Can't wait to reassemble my music gear and try Cygnus!

I personally like the part of it where English Speakers were ruled by a ruling class that couldn't be bothered to learn the finer details of the language, but since they were the ruling class it became the de facto standard. And that's where we lost most of our verb conjugations aside form the 3rd person form (I run, you run, they run, he runs...).

I love the fact that "you" is actually second person plural

think about it... do you feel all majestic yet?

Yes. The Angles, after which England were named, spoke a variation of the old Germanic languages. English borrowed bits from many sources to get to where it is today, constantly bringing in new vocab and grammar models. If it had done so with some cohesive direction instead of haphazardly, and a lot faster, it could be compared to the way Fractal updates their firmware. :)

Can't wait to reassemble my music gear and try Cygnus!
Masterful redirection back to the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom