Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 12 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Release Candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.
So last night I was messing with the tuner and changed the Hz calibration and the downtune value before changing them back to 440.0 Hz and None respectively. Today my guitar tuned to Eb standard registers a pitch-and-a-half sharp. I played an Eb and the result is pictured. I've tripled checked the calibration, offsets and downtune values and restarted my unit. Still no fix.

Attachments

• IMG_3805.JPG
    IMG_3805.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 82
So last night I was messing with the tuner and changed the Hz calibration and the downtune value before changing them back to 440.0 Hz and None respectively. Today my guitar tuned to Eb standard registers a pitch-and-a-half sharp. I played an Eb and the result is pictured. I've tripled checked the calibration, offsets and downtune values and restarted my unit. Still no fix.
Clock is wrong.

Your crack just looks different. It's still crack.

I just said it's better than a crack habit. I mean think about it. The resale value of used crack is terrible. Guitar addictions are therefore better than a crack habit. :D It's Fractal's fault anyway when I bought my Axe FX III I only had two guitars. I don't buy any gear at all anymore since I got the Axe FX but I can't stop buying guitars. Such a terrible problem to have. :cool:

Back on topic, we're just in bug hunt stages now right? The final should sound and function exactly as this does minus any bug related tweaks, correct?

I haven't started rebuilding any of my presets from scratch yet which I see people recommend as best practice with this firmware. I've been holding off on the final for that but it seems like it would be fine to do it now. That said, I'm finding old presets that are like brand new presets without even touching them. I wasn't paying much attention to the 5153 red. I only have one preset that uses it and I hadn't touched it in a minute but holy crap that thing came alive at some point during these betas without me even realizing until the other night. Feels like I got an Axe FX IV when I find stuff like that. :eek:

I haven't started rebuilding any of my presets from scratch yet which I see people recommend as best practice with this firmware. I've been holding off on the final for that but it seems like it would be fine to do it now. That said, I'm finding old presets that are like brand new presets without even touching them. I wasn't paying much attention to the 5153 red. I only have one preset that uses it and I hadn't touched it in a minute but holy crap that thing came alive at some point during these betas without me even realizing until the other night. Feels like I got an Axe FX IV when I find stuff like that. :eek:
My presets sounded better with the beta, but the amp blocks are where the real sound improvement is. Do a backup of your presets, then reset the amp block, and if you like the sound, cool, move to the next preset. Otherwise that's where you'll need to tweak.

I found that some of mine were fine, some needed a little tweak, others needed enough that it was like starting from scratch, but the overall result is all the presets really please me. They might not be exact clones of that particular amp, but I don't care, I like how they sound.

Last edited:
...others needed enough that it was like starting from scratch, but the overall result is all the presets really please me. They might not be exact clones of that particular amp, but I don't care, I like how they sound.

Starting from scratch - are you pretty much referring to the AMP block only, or AMP and CAB, but all of the effects and stuff should remain the same, correct? I have been waiting, since I am so fortunate to be gigging again, for the full release. I use about 16 presets (a few are variations of the same one, but the rest are custom).
I already know from keeping tabs on this thread that I'll have to change from Buttery to the Budah, but that's only one preset.

Ok fine, I can’t resist a gush post. The sound of fenders now is really exciting. I played a gig last weekend and it felt like the sound was a warm blanket. Other times I’ve felt the need to make small BMT tweaks between songs, but this time it was just perfect all night. I’ve heard others say it’s more three dimensional but it took a gig for me to really hear and feel it. It astounds me that very clever maths can really sound like a tube amp, well done Mr Cliff!

Anyone tried the Energyball model? It sounds drastically different in a good way. I haven't played a real ENGL Powerball in a long time but the model sounds much closer to what I remember.

Last edited:
Starting from scratch - are you pretty much referring to the AMP block only, or AMP and CAB, but all of the effects and stuff should remain the same, correct? I have been waiting, since I am so fortunate to be gigging again, for the full release. I use about 16 presets (a few are variations of the same one, but the rest are custom).
I already know from keeping tabs on this thread that I'll have to change from Buttery to the Budah, but that's only one preset.
You don't say which firmware revision you were on. If it was 15.1 (Ares) then probably only the amp block needs to be looked at. If it was prior to 15.1, which introduced a lot of changes to the drive block, then you might need to check those too.

I found that after tweaking the amp block I'd sometimes use a different variation of the cab that I liked better for that particular purpose.

I don’t know Friedmans at all, but to me the HBE V1 Fat feels like some sort of more defined 5150, like it’d be great to use them in the same song, or even layered. This is a really nice model to find. Dialing the HBE back I found myself instantly playing cock rock; it was like I was being compelled by some filthy spirit who still hangs out on the Sunset Strip.

I can't play like Carlos, I don't sound like Carlos, but I love this song!
Cygnus 16b12
Europa
Excellent! Totally nailed the feedback/sustains, too!

That was one of my trademark bits back in the day - getting that "forever sustain" going. On one studio track from '89, I hit it on the head on the scratch track take, and leading into the end solo (where I wasn't even supposed to be), I got a sustained note going and held it for about 2.5 minutes until the end of the song. The engineer ended up using it as a tuning standard to tune the tape to the bagpipes (it was their solo) and panned/faded my sustained note in for effect throughout....

EDIT: Found a link to the track:
Listen to Home by JohnnyFries on #SoundCloud

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom