Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 12 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Release Candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just don't cut it off in their headphone mix, or give them the mixerman air knob.
Depending on the song of course, or parts of a song more realistically, guitars are gonna need some taming, like keying bass and kick, etc. That's all logical.
I'm such a drum snob that my first mix pass will usually have the guitars too low to hear any low end thump anyway :D

Hahahah I'm in the same boat, man. I want every single thing the drums are doing to be heard clear as a bell. Drums are my favorite instrument to play and once we move to a bigger house in the next year or so, I can finally get a set.

Late to the party, and inconsistently "on topic".

I loaded up Beta 12 this evening, and did a full reset on my "go to" presets. JCM800, Princeton, Deluxe Reverb, Twin Reverb, JTM45, Plexi 50 6CA7, 1970 1959 Super Lead and JC120. I am unusual in that my main tube amps for the last 25 years have been Marshall 2203 JMP 100W Master Volume Marshalls (which are very similar to the "JCM800" models in the Axe FXs), but I have tended to run with the gain pretty low (3 -4), the master as high as I dare (much past 4 is deafening), and my #1 amp is modified for reduced gain and more bass in the preamp section.

I was suffering a little from "listener fatigue" by the end of it, so the classic 60's and 70's Marshalls will need a little more work, but this is definitely best so far, and by a country mile, for modelling algorithms. JCM800s have lost the weird high-mid fuzziness I used to find myself trying to dial out. Tone controls in authentic mode are authentically ineffective as per real Marshalls. Oh, and the Roland JC120 is fully fixed to behave like a JC120 as I can best remember playing through one!

I will probably start from scratch on all of my presets either now, or when the public release version becomes available. Have to agree with all that have said so, that this is a major change in the "feel" of the models, and it is probably not that obvious from youtube videos. Ignoring "chug", the spit, snarl and response in general feel more amp-like. With the Fender models I use, there's a delicacy, smoothness in response, and general good attitude (OK, maybe not from the Deluxe Reverb, that one is a Marshall in Fender clothing in real life as well as in the Fractal'verse, total hooligan's amp, I love it!) that was never apparent to me before. There is a little more work to do before I am happy with my main presets, but for me, definitely worth resetting all the amp blocks entirely, happy in the knowledge it's going to sound and feel remarkably better in any model, and that any work I put in will be a tiny fraction of that done by Cliff and team.

Thank you Fractal Audio. Cygnus is awesome in ways I hadn't dreamt of.

Liam

yeah, I am tweaking it right now and found that for my guitar it works best, when cathode compression is set to 65% fro original vaule 73,8% ... it makes such a big difference, of course you have to normalize the levels after tweaking, but it´s one needed tweak for herbie IMO.

I tweak nothing else, only tone stack and input gain dynamics (which I tweak for every single amp and bump it from 0 to 1).
One of the best tricks I ever discovered in fractal world :)
Sup? :)

It's funny what you say your tweaks are. they are pretty dead close to mine....lol Although,, I tweak other stuff too,, In the preset I made for the Herbie clip I made with my puffed up hand I also have the Cathode follower compression set down lower (to 66.3) My input Drive is 3.77. I do have the T808 Mod boost on though at 3.29.I dig it,, tight and chunky.

MOSHON
DAVE

New HBE algo sounds killer!! I found it quite fuzzy and clacky in the upper mids before, sounds super rich and full now.

@FractalAudio - revisiting the new Buddah model and was playing with Input Trim to get some cleaner tones.

Afterwards I decided to see what controls are on the real amp. Can you confirm that setting it to 1.00 is equivalent to the High Gain and .500 is equivalent to the Normal inputs?

In Axe-Edit on the Authentic tab it has a Master Volume (defaults to 10) High Cut and a Bright switch. The real almp has none of those. I'm assuming that's just something that was an oversight in Axe-Edit?

For anyone wondering, there are some cool flavors in there by turning down MV, too!

Edit:

Also, no Mid knob or Bright switch on the real amp.

Last edited:
Using PVH Block. Try setting the Master Volume around 1.5-2, all tone knobs at 6, Depth 6-8, and Presence at zero-2 (the real amp’s presence doesn’t do anything until you take it up to around 6 which is the same as the Axe presence at zero). Use that as a starting point and then tweak the tone controls to taste. To match my amp, go to the power amp page and back off the Grid bias a bit.
I have tried your settings, it's better ! thank you .

@alcyppa I have tried your patch, no surprises, sound like it used to ... anyway . thank you !

@yngwie1993 when we begin to start talking about the "sound is in the fingers" :)

Noob question. Are the “bass” versions of a particular amp for “bass” guitar or are they just more “bassy” vs the treble versions?

This was a dumb post, my bad.

Turns out setting up a new computer and activating one drive, Microsoft decided to move my blk files off of my laptop upstairs and onto one drive where the Axe can't see them. I would be surprised, but Microsoft products are by far the most absurdly illogical entities I have ever encountered, so it is pretty much per expectation.

The release candidate sounds great. Really enjoying the overall touch responsiveness in Cygnus.
You've probably figured this out by now... right click the OneDrive cloud icon in the bottom tray, select Settings, select the Settings tab, turn off Files On-Demand. Your files will have green check overlays indicating they are being synced on your computer once they are fully synced. Microsoft decided to turn it on by default when first using OneDrive for folks with smaller hard drives/lots of cloud files to sync. It's probably a good policy on their part to avoid overwhelming smaller hard drives and slow internet connections, but I do IT work and have turned it off on every computer I set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom