Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 12 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Release Candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a weird question. I'm playing around with the FAS Class-A model (after an awesome time modding the hell out of the FAS 6160), but even with my global Tone Control Display settings set to Ideal, the Depth dial does not show up on the Tone page of the Amp Block. Of course I can still access it on the Advanced page (and on Axe-Edit), but I just realized I have no idea; is that how the display normally would be for that model?

I have a weird question. I'm playing around with the FAS Class-A model (after an awesome time modding the hell out of the FAS 6160), but even with my global Tone Control Display settings set to Ideal, the Depth dial does not show up on the Tone page of the Amp Block. Of course I can still access it on the Advanced page (and on Axe-Edit), but I just realized I have no idea; is that how the display normally would be for that model?
Class-A amps wouldn't have a depth control as depth (and presence) affects the power amp's negative feedback circuit... if you turn of the Negative Feedback knob in to the power amp section even just the tiniest amount I suspect a Depth knob would magically appear on the Tone page (of course it would cease to really be a "Class-A" amp then)

Class-A amps wouldn't have a depth control as depth (and presence) affects the power amp's negative feedback circuit... if you turn of the Negative Feedback knob in to the power amp section even just the tiniest amount I suspect a Depth knob would magically appear on the Tone page (of course it would cease to really be a "Class-A" amp then)
Oh my god, that's so awesome. You were exactly right. Thanks for explaining that. I did exactly what you said, to increase the Negative Feedback the tiniest amount, and lo and behold, there appeared the Depth dial on the Tone page. I am constantly reminded of how badass this thing is.

Did anybody try the Carol Ann models? I still did not upgrade, being afraid of losing all that goodness.

You guys realize it's there already on the unit right.....mine is by default knob A, and a push of the button resets the amp (provided it's the amp block being edited....)
How about a "reset all amp blocks in all presets" - uuhmm, button?

Edit: or the ability to choose as many presets as you want in the preset manager, and reset the amp blocks on all of them in one go.

Second edit: Could you guys also have it make coffee and give massages? You know, as long as I'm just tossing uninformed wishes out there :)

Last edited:
For those commenting on a difference in perceived treble and/or presence on the new beta 12, I may have found a possible cause for this.

Each time the beta firmware update is performed (from beta 11 to beta 12 for example), the Power Amp Grid Bias parameter is re-set to the default value for that particular amp model, even if you had previously updated and saved your patches in beta 11 with modifications to the Power Amp Grid Bias to a value different than the default value.

If your patches were originally created with a relatively hot power tube grid bias (0.6 to 0.7 for fixed bias amp models), they will rest to a default grid bias (0.45 to 0.5 in some models) when updating to beta 12. The drop in grid bias simulates a colder bias in the power amp tubes. Patches originally created in firmware 15 and earlier might have had a "hotter" default value for the power amp grid bias also (?), although this parameter has been completely reworked for firmware 16.

This drop in the bias value when the grid bias is re-set to the default value when updating to beta 12 could cause a reduction in overall volume on your patch, which can seem like having less treble, less presence, etc. when you hear it.

Each time the beta version has been updated, I've gone in and manually re-adjusted all my presets with my preferred power amp grid bias for fixed bias amp models. Hotter power amp grid bias is typically in the 0.6 to 0.7 range for fixed bias amps (the majority of amp models), which I personally prefer for my patches.

For cathode biased amp models (5E3 Deluxe, AC-30, etc.) the default power amp grid bias is 1.00, which authentically models a cathode biased amp. Presets with cathode biased amps would not need to be tweaked in that case when you update the firmware.

The power amp grid bias parameter is in the "Advanced" tab, under the Power Amp section - "Grid Bias"

Personally, I find this grid bias parameter in the Cygnus firmware is very authentic, as it now behaves exactly as how I would bias the power amp tubes in a real tube amp.

I hope this helps.
Just another note...even if you use linked Global amp blocks in your presets, you will still need to re-adjust the power amp grid bias parameter on every preset separately. The grid bias parameter does not update globally even if you adjust it in a global amp block for some reason.

Just another note...even if you use linked Global amp blocks in your presets, you will still need to re-adjust the power amp grid bias parameter on every preset separately. The grid bias parameter does not update globally even if you adjust it in a global amp block for some reason.

This means that your presets are outdated. You have to save them to update the underlying structure. You can use FracTool to do that for you automatically. Saving them will restore the link to the global data.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Global_Blocks#Troubleshooting_Global_Blocks

Angele Severe 1 has a drastic shift in tone when turning the presence to zero, almost like making huge adjustments to the negative feedback. I know they're interlinked, but this doesn't seem "right?"

Angele Severe 1 has a drastic shift in tone when turning the presence to zero, almost like making huge adjustments to the negative feedback. I know they're interlinked, but this doesn't seem "right?"

And it also effects the volume. It is indeed connected to negative feedback. Cliff has stated that the model behaves as expected.

How about a "reset all amp blocks in all presets" - uuhmm, button?

Edit: or the ability to choose as many presets as you want in the preset manager, and reset the amp blocks on all of them in one go.

Second edit: Could you guys also have it make coffee and give massages? You know, as long as I'm just tossing uninformed wishes out there :)
How about an AAW button?

Concerning the “Beta 12 is darker” posts, not experiencing that here at all! Sounds incredible! there must be a parameter tweak getting reset somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom