Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 12 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Release Candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good catch, that's pretty clean
Someone pointed it out on the FB group so i can’t take credit but I though what a great compromise for the guys that wanted the old colorful screen and the new
that kind of sums up Fractal
try to find a way to keep both

I think for everyone who feels beta 12 sounds different than beta 11 should take a little time and pull out a DI and run it through both releases, then compare. I’d do it but my gear is in storage for a move 🤷‍♂️ Please post some clips 🎧

Last edited:
Sup? :cool:

Here is a little Savage-1. like I said earlier,,it's got the weight and the chunk and I think it is pretty spot on.
as always tracked left and right and like the last clip first half without the Click/drums so you can just hear the ... Cygnus :)

MOSHON
DAVE

Man, I love those later riffs. The whole thing has this great, totally sinister feel. Excellent tone, perfectly balanced. One might want to hype the highs or lows for this, but you didn't and that makes it great. Just nasty. Very good.

I don't know what to say. I'm looking at the version control right in front of me and there were no changes to ANY of the modeling algorithms since Beta 11.
I had made presets with beta 11! Now they seem to sound different in the treble! It may be my tired ear! I will rest and play again later. Congratulations to the great work! 😀👍🏽
For those commenting on a difference in perceived treble and/or presence on the new beta 12, I may have found a possible cause for this.

Each time the beta firmware update is performed (from beta 11 to beta 12 for example), the Power Amp Grid Bias parameter is re-set to the default value for that particular amp model, even if you had previously updated and saved your patches in beta 11 with modifications to the Power Amp Grid Bias to a value different than the default value.

If your patches were originally created with a relatively hot power tube grid bias (0.6 to 0.7 for fixed bias amp models), they will rest to a default grid bias (0.45 to 0.5 in some models) when updating to beta 12. The drop in grid bias simulates a colder bias in the power amp tubes. Patches originally created in firmware 15 and earlier might have had a "hotter" default value for the power amp grid bias also (?), although this parameter has been completely reworked for firmware 16.

This drop in the bias value when the grid bias is re-set to the default value when updating to beta 12 could cause a reduction in overall volume on your patch, which can seem like having less treble, less presence, etc. when you hear it.

Each time the beta version has been updated, I've gone in and manually re-adjusted all my presets with my preferred power amp grid bias for fixed bias amp models. Hotter power amp grid bias is typically in the 0.6 to 0.7 range for fixed bias amps (the majority of amp models), which I personally prefer for my patches.

For cathode biased amp models (5E3 Deluxe, AC-30, etc.) the default power amp grid bias is 1.00, which authentically models a cathode biased amp. Presets with cathode biased amps would not need to be tweaked in that case when you update the firmware.

The power amp grid bias parameter is in the "Advanced" tab, under the Power Amp section - "Grid Bias"

Personally, I find this grid bias parameter in the Cygnus firmware is very authentic, as it now behaves exactly as how I would bias the power amp tubes in a real tube amp.

I hope this helps.

All the fizz that should be there is in the Blankenship! Schpppeeeeeewwww on note tails wonderfully.
Princeton is still amazing.
Legend 100 II is very dark, which I believe the real one is and has no schpeeeewww.
JP2C is bright and clear.
Didn't test all the others.

May have found an issue? I'm updated to all of the current firmwares, and in axe edit when I change the amp impedance curve, the curve and tone changes, but the name stays the same. Is anyone else experience this? I refreshed axe edit after updating.

May have found an issue? I'm updated to all of the current firmwares, and in axe edit when I change the amp impedance curve, the curve and tone changes, but the name stays the same. Is anyone else experience this? I refreshed axe edit after updating.

It is working fine here

I take it the Superdrive is more of a Plexi type of amp and the new Twinmaster is a Vox type of circuit with a couple of Budda specific twists?
I don't think the SuperDrive is like a Plexi... Much more Vox style to me, although with maybe a bit of Marshall flavor added in.

so are we back to the “tone is in the hands” discussion?

what kind of wasp was that? Do you prefer the sting to be near the thumb or closer to pinky? Jk... hope the swelling is better. Great tone. Can’t wait for fm3 to be Cygnusfyied
We're still at the phase where everyone wants to thank Cliff personally or explain to us when exactly they will they try this... give it a couple days.

Check out the Buddah DuoMaster (formerly Buttery) model.
I loaded up the firmware and after playing around a few minutes on the 59 Bassman (my Cygnus go-to so far), I loaded it up.

I really dig it... Spent 90 minutes on this amp with no desire to move away!

The Buttery model was the first model I latched on (coming from playing a SuperDrive II for 7-8 years before that) to when I got my Axe Fx II way back when but over time I found others I liked more.

This new model is so good! I have a feeling it's moving into my top list of models.

Thanks for adding it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom